What USB Cable for extended Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Pardon this really basic USB cable question but I have never had to buy one before. I have a new (well refurbished) May 2015 Retina 15" Macbook Pro and want to order an extended hard drive for time machine backup. So I need to order a USB cable, please advise me specs of a USB cable to go from my rmbp to an EHD such as 3.0 or 2.0, type A, B or ? and what kind of ends should this cable have on both ends? I am wanting to order from Amazon and their many choices got me confused. I tried researching on the internet and got more confused so I figured you guys had ordered these before.

I have not exactly decided which EHD I will order but I'm thinking a Western Digital 2tb, I have 1tb drive on the mac. I'm hoping to get a Western Digital HD that has a USB 3 port on it. I hope I have even made sense in my questions above, I basically am looking for an exact description of the USB cable that I need to order.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the drive supports USB 3 then you will need something with ends that look like this one. These are commonly referred to as USB 3 male A to male B. If the drive only supports USB 2 search for USB 2 male A to male B.

C

chas_m

EDIT: I unfairly maligned Western Digital due to misremembering, so I've deleted the earlier part of this comment. See post #5, below, for the correction.

You mean "external" not "extended," by the way. That might just be autocorrect talking, though. :)

Any drive you buy that has USB 3.0 will include a cable, so I don't think you even need to worry about this.

Last edited:
OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Thanks much for the cable specs. Yes, I did mean External! I can get the larger 3tb WD, I thought the WD was an ok brand, is there another that you recommend that is more reliable?

C

chas_m

Lemme find the chart from last year:

EDIT: my mistake, it wasn't WD that was the problem child, it was Seagate. Disregard my earlier post, but if you want to see the results:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02...13.2014.put.online.for.analysis.by.backblaze/

Relevant chart:

1423052357-md-126831_md_blog_drive_failure_by_manufacturer1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.