What to do with my Macbook ?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.17Ghz, I5, 8gb memory, 120gb disk, running Catalina, also running Parallels for desktop

The screen is damaged to so I am connected to a monitor, I am running out of space and I cant install Garageband, the Mac and OS is not compatible

I am a software developer and part-time musician

Can I upgrade this Mac to allow me to install Garageband etc or should I be looking at a newer ( NOT new ! ) MacBook air

Thanks a lot

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your computer is compatible with macOS Big Sur and you should upgrade to that and you should be able to install a version of Garageband from the App Store that is compatible.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tired that. I my sons is the same model as mine but with Big Sur and App Store says

"...could no complete the purchase..garageband cant be installed macOS version 12.3 or later is required @

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You must complete the update to Big Sur first and then try to update GarageBand. When you attempt to download software from the App Store I'm pretty sure it checks to see if your machine meets the program's minimum hardware and software requirements.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean ?.. his Mac already has Big Sur installed and as I said in my message it requires12.3 or later and Big Sur is 11

So again just need advice as to whether I can upgrade my 2015 MacBook to the latest OS or whether I will have to buy a newer macbook air ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to take a guess here and bet that his Mac has an older version of GarageBand if he is running Big Sur. I didn't realize it when I made the previous post but the current version of GarageBand, which was updated recently IIRC, requires macOS Monterey.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks.. so I've heard my early 2015 Mac is one of the best ever made. Is there a good newer user MacBook Air that would fit the bill ? ( I presume there is nothing I can do to my current MacBook to run Monterey )

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A patch program allows Ventura (the current macOS) to run on machines that do not support it. I'm currently running it on my 2015 iMac. Initially, I did not see much of a slowdown compared to Monterey but, now there are times when the screen redraw is visible. This article has additional has more information including a link to the software if you're interested.

It would probably be better to try and locate an older version of GarageBand that runs under Big Sur.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I am running out of space and I cant install Garageband, the Mac and OS is not compatible

Can I upgrade this Mac to allow me to install Garageband etc or should I be looking at a newer ( NOT new ! ) MacBook air
Sounds like one of the issue's is internal SSD storage space. 120GB of internal storage is pretty limiting.

Luckily the internal storage on the 13" Early 2015 MacBook Pro's is upgradeable. Just need to purchase & install a larger "Blade SSD"...as pictured in this link for the great folks at OWC (macsales.com):

This is just one example of a retailer to purchase from...you may find better deals at Crucial, eBay, etc. Keep in mind Apple uses a proprietary pin configuration on these blade SSD's...thus not just any blade SSD will fit.

Good luck,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.