What to do with a 1286 Macbook Pro after liquid spill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but my dad says that if I can not see the screen unless I put a flashlight up to the screen or at the back of the MBP against the Apple logo, and I can still see stuff (which that is the case), then he says it should be just the inverter.

I think that if this detail was mentioned before…it must have gotten lost with all of the other details (sorry).

I did a quick look on a couple sites…and a display inverter isn't listed either. I believe that the inverter part is a part that is required with LCD displays. Your MacBook Pro has an LED display (if you identified it correctly)…which I don't think has or needs an inverter. So your MacBook Pro doesn't have an inverter.

On the part sites…only a display panel and video cable are listed for your computer (parts related to the display). I don't really think that the display panel or the video cable itself would have gotten damaged in a liquid spill…which again…leaves the logic board as the problem area.

Maybe there's a signal that comes from the logic board…to/thru the video cable…then to the display...that triggers the change in brightness of the display. Just like what would happen when the display brightness is adjusted on a working computer. That signal comes from the logic board.

So it's possible that the circuitry that is responsible for display brightness got damaged in the liquid spill.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I think that if this detail was mentioned before…it must have gotten lost with all of the other details (sorry).

I did a quick look on a couple sites…and a display inverter isn't listed either. I believe that the inverter part is a part that is required with LCD displays. Your MacBook Pro has an LED display (if you identified it correctly)…which I don't think has or needs an inverter. So your MacBook Pro doesn't have an inverter.

On the part sites…only a display panel and video cable are listed for your computer (parts related to the display). I don't really think that the display panel or the video cable itself would have gotten damaged in a liquid spill…which again…leaves the logic board as the problem area.

Maybe there's a signal that comes from the logic board…to/thru the video cable…then to the display...that triggers the change in brightness of the display. Just like what would happen when the display brightness is adjusted on a working computer. That signal comes from the logic board.

So it's possible that the circuitry that is responsible for display brightness got damaged in the liquid spill.

- Nick

Alright, that sounds reasonable. I'll think this over tonight with some more research. Thanks again Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, that sounds reasonable. I'll think this over tonight with some more research. Thanks again Nick.

Your dad is absolutely right. If you can still see "stuff" from the computers desktop on the display with a flashlight held at the correct angle…with an LCD display…a part like the inverter could be at fault (I've been there before with older computers).

But with LED displays…things are a bit different. Things/parts like an inverter (which can wear out with age or get damaged)…are not present. So theoretically…display problems are fewer. But since more control comes from the logic board with LED displays…if the logic board gets damaged (liquid spill)…weird things happen.

- Nick

Reaction score
had a similar problem with a MB mid 2007.
4 days or so so after a spillage (beer) I opened it up and cleaned everything (logic board, all connectors etc) with polypropyl alchol and left overnight. Reassembled next morning and all worked. apparently residue from the beer was creating the problem. (we drink that stuff?).
Don't know if this will help at all - maybe i was just lucky - but it is a very low cost way to start

Reaction score
worth repairing ?

My 2 cents :

Clean it and dry it for a week or 2, then hook it to an external monitor and give it a good workout for a week. If nothing else fails you've got a better diagnosis and there aren't any "weak" parts.

"Some" keycaps can be popped off and cleaned too, in case its a brightness control issue.

I finally bought a silicone keyboard cover for my daily surfing 2008 mac laptop, and it works well.

Since its a freebie all you'll lose is a little time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 @ 3.5 GHz
I would be tempted to wash parts in a liquid that will remove lemonade. Distilled water comes to mind. Soak and drain several times. Blow dry and then put in a Baggie and cover with dry rice. The rice will lower the humidity to zero and dry the inner parts. Let it dry thoroughly. Before restart.

Of course remove the battery. If you are disassembling it separate the sticky taped items before soaking. Alcohol would probably damage some adhesives whereas water would not.

Just a thought. I have repaired some water soaked items with white gasoline but I don't think that would be useful in this case, since it would damage or discolor the plastics. Some keyboards that had cola spills have beed successfully cleansed with mild liquid soapy water, rinsed and dried. They worked perfectly. The problem with a laptop is drying it thoroughly. Rice can do that after blow drying thoroughly.

Since lemonade is acidic it shorts out the circuitry. It also has sugar. It might have lemon fragments as well. Distilled water could work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys for sharing your stories on success in cleaning. I also noticed those silicone keyboard covers which I won't need personally, but for the person that owned this computer previously. I actually take really good care of my laptops, and other devices.

But anyways, here is the update. I shopped around for repair services that were dedicated to Apple computers. There is a certified Apple store near me, and I just took it there recently to get them to clean it out and diagnose it for $166. So if they fix it without parts, then I can sell it for $700-$800 (if I put some software on there with extra RAM).

Or, if it costs money to fix it (like a replacement logic board), I would have to think about it for a bit, but the main thing is, if I really wanted to I could just sell it on eBay for parts to just pretty much get my money back. But I am pretty sure the lemonade basically affected the part of the logic board that the screen wires are connected to.

But either it's a part that has to be replaced, or it may be the whole logic board, I am just awaiting a verdict from the Apple certified store repair dude.

Kudos to all of you who did the work yourselves. I just thought I would get the work done professionally. Anyone else want to share your story, it would be great to hear.

P.S., thanks chinajon for adding your 2 cents, I just posted this just after you posted your reply. But I have already taken it in to get it done professionally. I'll update you guys on what they find.

Reaction score
I have a friend, 65 yrs old techno virgin. He was 'sold' a Mac Book Pro in 2010, complete with all the MS Office Suite. Even though he can barely do attachments and photos. Never uses FaceTime or plays a DVD, far too complicated. "Er what is that funny bar at the bottom for?" He is also a bit of a boozer. Loves his Campari, probably a bottle a night! 2011 he dumps Campari all over the Mac Book, a fizz and a bang, dead! His shop sells him a new one, and another MS Office Suite. Well he did use Outlook at work. This winter he did it again, Campari all over the Mac Book. Another MacBook another MS Office Suite. I did recommend a waterproof Sony Tablet! No chance, too difficult.

Moral of the tale is that a fool and his money are quickly parted and MacBooks and Campari are mutually exclusive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moral of the tale is that a fool and his money are quickly parted and MacBooks and Campari are mutually exclusive.

Sounds like your friend could use a meeting with your local chapter of AA. That might not only save him money, but it may even add a few years to his life.

Reaction score
He has already drawn his annuity, based on the fact that he drinks, smokes and has the lung capacity of a 90 yr old. A lost cause I am afraid.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think that it's time for this guy to purchase a desktop computer!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
So true. Though he has found out how to shop online! (it saves the legs, which don't work too well).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...(it saves the legs, which don't work too well).

Besides the expected reasons for the legs not working so well (old-dude)...the legs don't work so well when you're a "boozer" either!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
So.,.. here's a follow up. I called my local Apple authorized dealer today, and I never got a call from them, but they said they were trying to get ahold of me. Any ways, the logic board needs replacing, and the screen. The motherboard would cost over $1500 from Apple, and the screen would be like $800.

Even though all of you guys either find that outrageous, or typical, I find it typical, but all I wanted to know about was if it was salvageable. And of course, it isn't, so I will try to sell it on eBay for parts, with know exactly whats wrong with it thanks to bringing it to them. Maybe I won't get everything back, but with a solid description of the problem, the price I get for the MBP on eBay will be a little more accurate than just "selling for parts", "I don't know whats wrong with it". Anyways, thanks for the assistance Nicke, and everyone else who helped out. It was worth a shot, and in the end I still think I probably would be overwhelmed with the process of trying to fix it myself, which would just be a big mess that I'd have to clean up in the end. Thanks again, and wish me luck on eBay lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So.,.. here's a follow up. I called my local Apple authorized dealer today, and I never got a call from them, but they said they were trying to get ahold of me. Any ways, the logic board needs replacing, and the screen. The motherboard would cost over $1500 from Apple, and the screen would be like $800.

Even though all of you guys either find that outrageous, or typical, I find it typical...

Well...this may not be the outcome you were hoping for...but at least you have a solid answer to the situation. As far as the repair prices...they are ABSOLUTELY...POSITIVELY...OUTRAGEOUS!!!

This is a 2009 15" MacBook Pro...which if it was working 100%...would be probably worth around $500. Parts are expensive...but no way as expensive as mentioned above. $1500 for a logic board & $800 for a display is a total of $2300 (an absolute rip-off).

Yes I know you are in Canada.:) And if you go to the Canada Apple online store...you will see that a brand spanking new 2013 15" MacBook Pro sells for $2049 (same model in the US costs $1999). Why would anyone spend $2300 bucks to repair an almost 5 year-old computer...when they can get a brand new one for less??;)

There is absolutely...positively...no way anyone should be charging $2300 to fix an almost 5 year-old computer!!!

In any case. Thanks a lot for the update. Always nice to have an ending to a story!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Well...this may not be the outcome you were hoping for...but at least you have a solid answer to the situation. As far as the repair prices...they are ABSOLUTELY...POSITIVELY...OUTRAGEOUS!!!

This is a 2009 15" MacBook Pro...which if it was working 100%...would be probably worth around $500. Parts are expensive...but no way as expensive as mentioned above. $1500 for a logic board & $800 for a display is a total of $2300 (an absolute rip-off).

Yes I know you are in Canada.:) And if you go to the Canada Apple online store...you will see that a brand spanking new 2013 15" MacBook Pro sells for $2049 (same model in the US costs $1999). Why would anyone spend $2300 bucks to repair an almost 5 year-old computer...when they can get a brand new one for less??;)

There is absolutely...positively...no way anyone should be charging $2300 to fix an almost 5 year-old computer!!!

In any case. Thanks a lot for the update. Always nice to have an ending to a story!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

No problamo. I'm actually happy I know what the problem is now. It would of been nice to get it to work, but I am actually pretty happy with my Inspiron 17R. I'll always stick to the affordable Apple products like iPhones, but I don't plan on getting a Mac any more expensive than $1000, down the road. Maybe a Mac Mini, but that's it. Meanwhile, I'll just drewl over their lineup everytime something cool comes out at WWDC.

Just to add. If you go to the refurbished section of the Canada Apple online store...you can get a 15" MacBook Pro for as little as $1599:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Canada)

Again...no way someone should be spending $2300 to repair 5 year-old laptop when an almost brand new one can be purchased for $700 less.:)

- Nick

Your totally right Nick, no one would think different on that one, unless it was some rich person who did not care at all.

But if I was really going to get a MBP, I'd just stick to a 13" for around $1200. I think Apple just charges alot for repairs in either Canada or the U.S., and parts through them is like buying an engine from Ferrari for an older Ferrari. Thanks again for everything Nick, and yes at least we have an ending to this story.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problamo. I'm actually happy I know what the problem is now. It would of been nice to get it to work, but I am actually pretty happy with my Inspiron 17R. I'll always stick to the affordable Apple products like iPhones, but I don't plan on getting a Mac any more expensive than $1000, down the road.

Hey…used computers can be a doable option…a great deal/value…and well under $1000.:) I'm talking 100% working computers (not liquid spilled one's).;)

Your totally right Nick, no one would think different on that one, unless it was some rich person who did not care at all.

But if I was really going to get a MBP, I'd just stick to a 13" for around $1200.

I definitely remember that you got this liquid spilled MacBook Pro for free…and you weren't looking to spend big bucks at the moment. The Apple Store products I was referencing was to emphasise how much that authorised Apple repair place (where the repair quotes came from) is ripping folks off BIG TIME!

A brand new replacement logic board is typically around $500 (this place was quoting $1500). And a good used logic board probably around 25-33% less.

Have a good one!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey…used computers can be a doable option…a great deal/value…and well under $1000.:) I'm talking 100% working computers (not liquid spilled one's).;)

I definitely remember that you got this liquid spilled MacBook Pro for free…and you weren't looking to spend big bucks at the moment. The Apple Store products I was referencing was to emphasise how much that authorised Apple repair place (where the repair quotes came from) is ripping folks off BIG TIME!

A brand new replacement logic board is typically around $500 (this place was quoting $1500). And a good used logic board probably around 25-33% less.

Have a good one!:)

- Nick

Ah yes I've looked at used mac's for the past 5-6 years on ebay, and of course my dad buys only used macs, that's all he uses. But I guess I find my needs only lining up with Pc's. I also did know that a used logic board on eBay is around $500 or less, and a replacement screen is around $100-$150. I also know I may be lucky to get this MBP sold on ebay for parts for around $90-$150. It's not like selling a broken Dell on eBay, me thinks. They still go for so much more.

I should of mentioned what I knew, but any ways, I'm pretty aware of what the value of Mac's are, used or new.

Anyways, you have a good one too!.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.