What monitor size??? 20" vs 23"???

M

mr..nemo

Please help me chose a monitor for my new powermac. im stuck between the 20" and 23" i dont really understand what HD is, does it make a big difference? i am going to be starting a graphic design degree do i really need the 23" or could i get buy with 20"??? any recomendarions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I recommend the 23". I have it, it rocks, it's perfect size for me.

OP
W

WireFire

I would recomend the 23 inch if you have the funds, but im sure you could scrape by with a 20 inch. For around the same price as the 20 inch apple display you could get the Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch widescreen display. You could also get the 20 inch model (Dell) for arround $650. Basically, there wont be THAT much difference quality-wise between the Dell and the Apple. The Apple will still be a bit better, but the Dell is cheaper. If you wanted to, you could get two of the smaller 20inch models for a dual monitor set up.

24 inch model:
(http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4221&link_number=)

20 inch model:
(http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4111&category_id=4009)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
When designing, you are influenced by your surroundings. If you don't like the Dell displays design, quality, etc, it will cripple your design. It's proven. It's your choice.

OP
M

mr..nemo

i think ill stick with apple because of the whole look on the desktop, do you think a monitor is for life or do they wear out over time?

Reaction score
The Apple display looks nicer, but the Dell 2005FPW is a superior LCD. I just ordered two of them last week for $386 each. They are slightly newer revisions than the single 2005FPW I had prior.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

For graphics work, I would think a single larger monitor would be better. I went with dual 20" screens because I do alot of gaming, and gaming at such a high resolution would kill performance. This way I can game on one monitor (1680x1050 is definetly a high enough resolution) and still keep chat programs and such open on the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
How did you get them for 386 each? when they retail for 749.00USD

OP
M

mr..nemo

No i think i will stick with the apple display, rather than dell. i really would like to go out and get the 23" but i cant justify spenind that on a monitor when the money could be spend on best part of an ibook or something... also it would be alot of money to lay out if the screen had a dead pixel or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
mr..nemo said:
No i think i will stick with the apple display, rather than dell. i really would like to go out and get the 23" but i cant justify spenind that on a monitor when the money could be spend on best part of an ibook or something... also it would be alot of money to lay out if the screen had a dead pixel or something.

Well, to each his own-- you'll notice if you read the AnandTech article linked to above that the Apple and Dell 20.1 both use the same LG-phillips screen. It's not like the Apple monitor is any better, you'd just be paying for the Apple logo and style. Worth it to some people I guess.

I just paid $480 for the dell and really couldn't see spending $799 for what amounts to pretty much the exact same product except for the plastic shell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
How are you getting great deals on the dell monitors? are you buying through a third party or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
mdavis71 said:
How are you getting great deals on the dell monitors? are you buying through a third party or something?

Sales and coupons. Last week that had 35% off, and then there were some coupons floating around that took off even more. It varies from week to week, but if you keep an eye on things you can get some really good deals.

Reaction score
The two I just bought I used 40% off coupons, and an additional $65 coupon...with free shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.