What Mac For Music Production

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hello,

Do any of you have mobile solutions? I'm trying to learn about how to, say, upgrade RAM in a macbook (or macbook pro.) I can either buy a new battery, upgrade my RAM from 1gb (still researching if this is possible on an older macbook black) to 2gb, or save my money for a new setup entirely (perhaps an iMac if I can stay put, but probably a macbook.) What are some good options?

I have a 2006 MacBook Black, 2ghz. It can be upgraded to 2GB of RAM, which I would recommended for Logic Pro. It should have more than enough grunt to power Logic Studio 8.

Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo (13-inch Black) Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

You can upgrade to 2GBs for just under $30 (you need 2x 1GB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Mac Mini, 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, upgraded to 2Gb RAM
Sorry for the ridiculously late response! I introduce myself to the Mac forums, then go away for a while!

Zoolook - thanks for a very useful and informative reply. I've been playing with Garageband and Renoise on my little Mac - loving both - Garageband is very surprising for a freebie. I've been fiddling with the analog engines - you can make some proper nasty fm sounds with them - pleasantly surprising! :)

Ok - will see if I can try out logic before I make a purchase decision. It's great to know that stuff will run ok on this machine though. (If i like Mac os though, I will end up needing a mac pro!!)

Thanks again for your help.

I am not sure of the specs of your Edirol sound card, but broadly speaking, the Mac does not benefit from external sound cards or even internal ones, other than having additional audio inputs/outputs.

It's actually worth understanding exactly how and why the soundcard became so important on Windows machines. It all goes back to the days when PCs barely had enough horsepower to draw lines on the screen, much less playback multi-track samples or add effects like reverb. Even when CPUs were powerful enough to do this, Microsoft's poor APIs meant that the PC always struggled with latency and stability issues. If the system's attention was diverted to, say, an anti-virus scan or even some unexpected call to the HDD, everything stalled and your mix/jam or whatever stuttered.

This lead to a huge market in both soundcards (everything from Turtlebeach to Soundlaster) and the growth of alternative APIs, such as ASIO, to basically remove the whole audio loop from whatever else the OS was doing.

Ironically enough, MS actually wiped all of this away with Vista. There is now virtually no advantage to having a $300 sound card in Vista over a generic, integrated VIA chip on the motherboard, in terms of internal sound quality. Again, the only real advantage is the number and quality of audio inputs/outputs. This is probably the one and only great feature of Vista (although they messed it up in the original version, it was fixed in SP1).

Macs use Core Audio, which puts all the work on the CPU - in theory, a Mac Mini is more than capable of entirely creating, mixing and mastering a track of commercial quality for either music, or even film.

I am exceptionally biased, but I would say Logic or Ableton Live are better suited to the Mac than Cubase, which IMO suffers from poor workflow. I started on Cubase on the Atari, went as far as Cubase VST 4 on the PC, and then switched to Mac and went straight to Logic. Logic Studio is also far better value for money, considering the massive sample library you get with it (more than 40GBs) and the instruments that come for free.

Having said that, your Mini will handle Cubase with no trouble at all.

Reaction score
Balmy, beautiful, Southern Ontario, Canada
I use the 24" 3.06ghz iMac with Pro Logic and never an issue. Also use Mackie Tracktion 2 with no issue either.
As far as sound cards go, they do make a difference especially Apogee Duet. You really need to hear that baby. Wish I had one, but I settle for my Line 6 Tone Port UX2. Just my 2 cents!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro
any mac or pc will do the job if you know what you are aiming for.

audio production-mixing can be done with half the horsepower most people have in th fingertips!mac's-pc's are fine,all you need is inspiration-know how and good songs!logic-cubase-nuendo-protools dont make a single difference in my opinion.i really miss the analog days,trully!cheers everybody!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I use the 24" 3.06ghz iMac with Pro Logic and never an issue. Also use Mackie Tracktion 2 with no issue either.
As far as sound cards go, they do make a difference especially Apogee Duet. You really need to hear that baby. Wish I had one, but I settle for my Line 6 Tone Port UX2. Just my 2 cents!

Sweet another Line6er, I use a KB37, a UX2 with keyboard, hahaha. Ever have any issues with which USB port you choose on your iMac by chance? The Apogee is the bees knees as far as sound quality, fit and finish and integration into Logic and GB, but you can do a lot of things on the cheap just as well. I got GarageRemote pref pane, and assigned all my buttons on my KB37 and they all work pretty well now, so you can work around that stuff. But for heavy-duty work such as acoustic guitars and vocals I have a MOTU 828, the pre amps RULE in that compared to the Line 6.

Reaction score
Balmy, beautiful, Southern Ontario, Canada
Sweet another Line6er, I use a KB37, a UX2 with keyboard, hahaha. Ever have any issues with which USB port you choose on your iMac by chance? The Apogee is the bees knees as far as sound quality, fit and finish and integration into Logic and GB, but you can do a lot of things on the cheap just as well. I got GarageRemote pref pane, and assigned all my buttons on my KB37 and they all work pretty well now, so you can work around that stuff. But for heavy-duty work such as acoustic guitars and vocals I have a MOTU 828, the pre amps RULE in that compared to the Line 6.

Cool! I like the Line 6 primarily for the tones and sheer simplicity. I sometimes run signal through my Mackie Onyx which will warm up the tone a bit. I am a believer of outboard gear which negates the need to boost signal or warm things up digitally. A friend has a Vintech pre-amp (X-73i I believe) which just ROCKS! With a good pre-amp, you don't need a lot to tweak. People do get carried away with acquiring every latest piece of hardware in order to achieve "that sound", but a couple key pieces become the foundation for great sounding recordings. Needless to say, a couple good mics sure don't hurt!
I haven't had issue with the Line 6 and USB once I had updated the software.
Lot of fun for $200.
I really want to look at the Duet more closely. I like the compactness of it. I imagine it would be nice to do some off the floor stuff. Looks like a nice fit with the MacBook! Supposed to blow anything M-Audio or MOTU has and not even in the same league as Line 6! I am curious!

Reaction score
Apple conversion

OK, Here is the story: Recently, purchased a Rain computer (laptop) not cheap $2700 64bit with Windows Vista. This unit is fixed with 2 firewire inputs and set up to handle recording. They set it up with many Windows features blocked to allow other added software to operate. Its a nice laptop but it falls short to what I expected..Refunds and hot complaints are not appropriate...."Let the buyer beware".....I'll get this one going in my spare time....I guess I was spoiled by all of the Dells I have . Recently I bought a
Dell studio15 with bluray, HD and all of the bells and whistles with Windows 7...
This one works great but I dont want to record with it. I bought the Rain computer for that however I decided to get an Apple. I ordered a mac pro with the music (Logic, ?)production program pre installed, which totaled up to $1800....hopefully I'll be able move in the right direction. I didn't plan on going to a mac this week but having an account from all of the ipods I have, I said why not?.......Just another brief story, I bought a Korg D3200 recording studio ( stand alone) and I was really reluctant to jump into full digital recording. The Korg just works without a constant dialog from your pc/mac...
this is what I want from my new mac-pro...hopefully it should work out....thanks for letting me write this first time post...all feedback appreciatd......macabee7......:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.