• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What languages do you know and how do you learn new ones?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This is why I hated Latin. While I still know it, I don't count it as there's no one to speak it with. Go figure.

I love Latin, hence why I took it for 8 years and it was my major in college.

Interesting thing about it though is that what you learn is formal written Latin. There was a most likely a simplified spoken version but there's very little known about it since it wasn't usually written down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I love Latin, hence why I took it for 8 years and it was my major in college.

Interesting thing about it though is that what you learn is formal written Latin. There was a most likely a simplified spoken version but there's very little known about it since it wasn't usually written down.
I agree, there very likely was. I'm under no illusion that our ancestors were any less informal than we are in our speech. I salute you sir, anyone that can put up with that for 8 full years has my respect! (high school was enough for me)

Although, I do have to admit.. it made Life of Brian much MUCH funnier.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I took some German in high school and have loved it ever since. Unfortunately, after high school, I haven't had much luck in being consistent in actively practicing it. I blame myself and the college I went to for not having the best language program.

I really got addicted to wanting to learn Dutch at one point. But I procrastinate too much, but I'll make that a thing of the past this summer. And I'm going to take a stab at Korean; I always wanted to try an Asian language. I find North Korea very interesting and the younger generation's culture of South Korea very intriguing.

I'm also going to add that I'm disappointed that Germanic languages aren't as popular to learn. I'm so good with pronunciation of the Germanic languages. I find it funny how well I can mimic German words better than most students, yet I can't speak it as fluently. Oh well.

I'm also really fascinated with Scandinavian countries. I thank the Amazing Race for that. Swedish is on the back burner, but my plate is already full of options. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Fluent in English and Arkansan

Latin 2 yrs
French 2 yrs
German 3 yrs
Spanish 2 yrs
1 sem Russian
Greek Currently self-studying

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Fluent in...Arkansan

Yeah...this is the scariest language of the bunch! "Get 'er dun!";)

Especially for someone who used to live in Boston.

- Nick

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've always wanted to take a stab at Russian, but honestly, for some reason I always struggle with languages that have a different alphabet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Plain old English, and general drunken gibberish.
Did German at school, but have forgotten the majority.
I don't really have need to learn any new ones, though I did toy with learning Egyptian Arabic, as we go away there usually, however, recent troubles there have put pay to that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Fluent in English..

I can also manage
- Hindi (Conversational, not my "thinking" language though)
- Kannada (Understand perfectly, have lost a little fluency by not using it)
- Tamil (speak very sparingly, understand my family's dialect perfectly)
- Spanish (2 years in high school, very basic)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I speak English and Albanian fluently. I know Italian, but am not able to carry a vocal conversation. I did a year of spanish class, but didn't like it at the time. Italian is similar, but I only became interested because of a relationship :) and I'm still learning :D BrianLachoreVPI was right on that one, a relationship will QUICKLY make you learn a language, and will make you want to learn until you understand it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Flemish, My main language
Dutch, sort of flemish
French, fluent
English, up to you to judge -_-
German, fluent

In Belgium we have 3 official languages, so we all need to be fluent.

I am tempted to learn one of the many Chinese languages ....

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
... I'd love to learn Dutch but I don't really know where to start.

Well, I will help you ... we have just started.

Goede morgen.
= Good morning.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In Belgium we have 3 official languages, so we all need to be fluent.
Is it a requirement in schools that you become fluent in Dutch, French and German? I wish that becoming fluent in English and French were a requirement here.

Well, I will help you ... we have just started.

Goede morgen.
= Good morning.

Cheers ... McBie
Excellent. I'm one millionth of the way there. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Is it a requirement in schools that you become fluent in Dutch, French and German? I wish that becoming fluent in English and French were a requirement here.

Excellent. I'm one millionth of the way there. ;)

It is indeed a requirement at school to master the 3 languages, and then you need to pick a fourth one, which was English in my case.

You have to start somewhere mate ....

Biertje ?
= would you like a beer ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I have spoken both English and Romanian all of my life. I have taken 2 years of Spanish at school, so I can get by with a very basic understanding of it I think. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It is indeed a requirement at school to master the 3 languages, and then you need to pick a fourth one, which was English in my case.
Wow, we could use that kind of mentality here. Given that there can be some antagonism between the linguistic groups here though, trying to force people to learn the other languages could be quite the issue.

Biertje ?
= would you like a beer ?
You've taught me to ask for a beer and how to say good morning? What kind of mornings do you generally have? :p

(I'm jealous that you know four languages or at a minimum, have a passable level of comprehension).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I always try and learn as much of the native language at wherever country I go to.
I can say "Hello... how are your doing?", "Can I please have a beer?" and "Thank you." in 13 languages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.