What is the largest HDD I put in my MacBook Pro 15"?

Reaction score
(ruf993turbo... I don't know if you took that screenshot on your Macbook Pro 15" but if you have, then I have to admit that I was wrong about the believes I had...)

I know the SATA (SATA 150) are all the same size up until 250 GB... Above that they are a little higher. This would also explain the 320GB option on the new MBP 17" instead of the 15" because on the 15" there might be something over it the HD... Be sure to check that... if the size is not a problem go as big as you can (afford) ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ruf993turbo...

you do know you can click command-shift-4 for crosshairs instead of -3 for a whole screen right :)

OP
R
Reaction score
ruf993turbo...

you do know you can click command-shift-4 for crosshairs instead of -3 for a whole screen right :)

yes. i also have screenshot widget that allows me to select diff types of screenshots. i was just in a hurry when I did it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" CoreDuo 2.16 GHz 2GB RAM
...I've heard that they are not compatible with SATA-II drives.

As far as the specs go, SATA II (SATA 2, SATA 3.0Gbps) drives should be backwards compatible with SATA (1.5 Gbps), because the drive and the controller are supposed to auto negotiate the connection speed.

Some controllers however, do not do this properly, and then you need to set a jumper on your drive to force it to work in SATA 1.5 mode.

However, if it does not work at all, then that means Apple is using defective controllers, or at least ones that are not up to spec (which is possible).

So technically, a SATA 3.0 drive should work on a SATA 1.5 bus with out a problem, out of the box. Realistically, you may need to move a jumper around.

But as for it not working at all, well I'd like to think that that is unlikely.

wytwolf:
Just out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I ask because I want to upgrade my MBPs hard drive.

Thanks,
Nabeel R.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I read it on a website a few months ago. It was probably more speculation, sata 2 drives were just coming out. The laptop the poster tried it on probably had a defective sata controller as u mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.