What is the best camera slide cover for MacBooks and Mac Airs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Do all camera slide covers work the same? I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Air. Can anyone suggest the bet camera slides for these two devices?

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A Google search brings up a lot of choices:

Or here, maybe:

However, may I intrude with a word of caution? The potential for damaging your Mac if you close the lid with the cover still on is considerable.

Read this Apple article which covers this and suggests inbuilt alternatives:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Get some of the 3M Post-it flags, the plastic ones for marking places in books and documents. Put it over the camera. The low residue glue won't leave anything behind and the flag is thin enough not to harm the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the need for this? Does somebody else have access to your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

With a bit of a chuckle here, I had to laugh a bit when I read this and the previous replies as I thought the OP was just wanting to protect their camera lens which I thought was a bit of overkill.

Either way, the Post-it notes suggestion sounds like a pretty sensible and economical way and avoids the problems Ian mentioned.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is my impression that when the MacBook camera is active a little green light comes on next to it. It is quite a complicated process to hack a MacBook camera usually requiring physical access to the device to install software which would also require the users admin password. Some apps have access to your camera (if you granted it), to read more about this check this article.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Google search brings up a lot of choices:

Or here, maybe:

However, may I intrude with a word of caution? The potential for damaging your Mac if you close the lid with the cover still on is considerable.

Read this Apple article which covers this and suggests inbuilt alternatives:

Ian
You're right. It's not worth the risk of damaging the computer.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I was just considering it as a caution.
The reason I started thinking about this was I did not realize my camera came on during a Webex meeting at my last job. It's fine, but I would rather just talk without the camera, like everyone else. Someone there suggested a camera slider... I never heard of them before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You should be able to go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab, and disable the Camera for any app that has permission.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Not sure about WebEx, Zoom requires you to choose if you want to Join with Video at login and you can turn it off at any time from your "pane" just click an hold and select "turn video off." Skype has a video on/off button, off by default. Google is the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No, I was just considering it as a caution.
The reason I started thinking about this was I did not realize my camera came on during a Webex meeting at my last job. It's fine, but I would rather just talk without the camera, like everyone else. Someone there suggested a camera slider... I never heard of them before.

Yeah, I'm with you on this even though I rarely use my iMac and as has been said, actually hacking the camera is pretty hard. There HAVE been reports of this sort of thing happening to spy without the light coming on, but I don't recall if any Macs were affected. I haven't gotten around to getting a slider myself since I am on it rarely, but my 2 cents is that I'd rather do that versus a sticky note. The sticky is a rather ghetto solution to be honest and eventually will fall off. I personally wouldn't be overly concerned about damaging the screen... there is no screen right there... just the glass. Just be sure to pick one from a "reputable" brand if you can, and maybe see if there's one that touts using 3M adhesive designed for glass. One thought I just had was to see if there is one designed for iMacs that adheres to the back and has a "flip up" mechanism so it doesn't adhere to the glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sticky is a rather ghetto solution to be honest and eventually will fall off
Actually, it doesn't fall off. The adhesive holds quite well. The beauty is that unlike any cover, it is very thin, so the threat to break the glass when closing the lid is very, very small. Also, I put the translucent part over the lens, so that it can still detect ambient light to adjust the screen brightness for the room brightness, but the image through the camera is totally blurred. A cover may well block the ability of the system to determine room brightness.

Yes, it's a cheap solution. Not ashamed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's something along the lines of what I had in mind. ZERO adhesive, designed for iMacs.

I would not put it on a portable. It's designed for iMac, so that's OK, the iMac doesn't have a lid. Anything that big on a Mac with a lid is just asking for the screen to get shattered eventually. And, it's pretty pricey. Here is my solution, US$7.29 for 140 of them, so about $0.05 for a solution. And if it does fall off, it's another $0.05 to replace. But, I've never had one come off, and the price seems right. I put the pack of them beside the camera, held on with a bent paper clip, in actual use just the stick bit over the camera is there. Usually, when I want the camera and take it off, I just throw it away and put on a new one. I suppose if I keep re-using the same one the glue would eventually lose the stickiness, but at the price, it just seems easier to put on a new one.

I do have to admit the owl is sexier, though!
IMG_2799.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not put it on a portable. It's designed for iMac, so that's OK, the iMac doesn't have a lid.

Bah, I thought the OP had an iMac. My bad. Yes, absolutely something like this is inappropriate for a MacBook. I wouldn't do a slider either... too much bulk for the lid to close properly. I would suggest something like a black vinyl sticker that is easily peeled off. Link below for some Amazon listings.

Amazon.com : laptop camera cover sticker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to us a piece of paper folded over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Bah, I thought the OP had an iMac. My bad. Yes, absolutely something like this is inappropriate for a MacBook. I wouldn't do a slider either... too much bulk for the lid to close properly. I would suggest something like a black vinyl sticker that is easily peeled off. Link below for some Amazon listings.

Amazon.com : laptop camera cover sticker

Beware, I have seen a few metal sliding camera covers that caused the glass around the edge of the display to crack when likely closed with too much force. They are not needed.

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the bet camera slides for these two devices?

If one is paranoid about the camera in your Mac watching you when you don't want to be watched, you can use this free utility to detect unwanted activation of your camera:

Oversight (free)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Beware, I have seen a few metal sliding camera covers that caused the glass around the edge of the display to crack when likely closed with too much force. They are not needed.
yep this happened to me - though with a plastic one. I don't even know why I installed it in the first place - I've nothing to hide or fear, just a bit of mild paranoia!!. If you really want to, I'd just put some tape or a post-it note over the camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.