• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What gives with Apple's new icon???

krs

Reaction score
I can see the line....but why would they photoshop it?
Makes no sense.

Reaction score
Makes no sense.

To make it look like light reflecting off it. I promise you the logo doesn't look like that in real life. I own the 2020 SE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
To make it look like light reflecting off it. I promise you the logo doesn't look like that in real life. I own the 2020 SE.

Thanks, I have no access to a physical SE; judged the way the logo displayed at both T-Mobile and Apple websites. That was premature, to say it mildly in retrospect...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Makes no sense.

It's not photoshopped. This is a common photo element used on advertising photos by creating reflections to show the surface, especially when a seller has multiple variants(like matte vs polished surfaces).

For example, look through Apple's iPhone variants and you will see the reflections depict the surface details of each iphone. Speficially, if you look at the iPhone 11 Pro, the back glass is has a matte finish, while the camera housing has a polished finish. The advertised photo shows a clean line on the camera housing glass to depict this difference between the two surfaces.
There's nothing complicated about it.
The back of the iPhone SE is glass.
A straight reflection against two contrasting lit backgrounds will give you that exact reflection.
It's just an advertisement!
Same with the Macbooks.

FYI: NONE of the advertised Apple devices include photoshopped images. They are true photos, with true lighting, and real reflections.

Reaction score
FYI: NONE of the advertised Apple devices include photoshopped images. They are true photos, with true lighting, and real reflections.

Not sure how you'd know that unless you were involved with the ads directly (as that effect could easily be photoshopped), but I suppose by the same token I can't say for sure either, and it doesn't really matter because the end conclusion is the same: it's not a new logo design (at least not on the back of the iPhone) ;)

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
I thought this topic was done, but there are a few things that don't make sense to me.

It's not photoshopped. This is a common photo element used on advertising photos by creating reflections to show the surface, especially when a seller has multiple variants(like matte vs polished surfaces).

A straight reflection against two contrasting lit backgrounds will give you that exact reflection.
It's just an advertisement!
The photo I posted in post #20 is from a review of the iPhone SE and there is a similar photoe at the beginning of the review.
BTW -Jonathan thought the image was photoshopped, not me.

And finally - the original apple logo with that diagonal black section that I showed in post #3 came from part of the WWDC presentation - I don't think that was created by some reflection.
Don't know where Patrick's photo came from, but it sure doesn't look like any reflection either.

krs

Reaction score
.....it's not a new logo design ;)

Maybe not a new logo design, but it must have some meaning - especially the ones shown at the WWDC 2020 - that logo shown there was no accident or reflection.

Reaction score
Maybe not a new logo design, but it must have some meaning - especially the ones shown at the WWDC 2020 - that logo shown there was no accident or reflection.

Just edited my post to clarify, but I mean it's not a new logo on the iPhone. And I still believe all images that have that apparently two-tone logo are simply meant to be a reflection effect.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Don't know where Patrick's photo came from, but it sure doesn't look like any reflection either.

Grabbed from here, or at least a similar site like it:

Here's everything Apple didn't announce at WWDC - 9to5Mac

Hmmm...??? I can't seem to upload a resized screen grab shot...

EDIT:
Gheese, now THREE get uploaded and I can't seem to edit the post...

edit 2:

Now 2 deleted...

- Patrick
======

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 7.54.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 7.54.51 AM.png
    396.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reaction score
Gheese, now THREE get uploaded and I can't seem to edit the post...

On your post: click Edit Post > Go Advanced> Manage Attachments > click the "x" at the top right of the extraneous images/attachments that appear along the bottom of the window. Click Done. Save the post.

As for the photo itself, that's simply an enlarged image of their promotional graphics with the memoji sitting at their Apple notebooks. I think everyone is supposed to look at the logo and go "oooo, shiiiiny!"

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
iggybar, where the heck did you get that logo for your avatar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iggybar, where the heck did you get that logo for your avatar?

I came across it while looking up Apple wallpapers :D! I thought it looked super sweet because it matches my signature, so downloaded it. I had to shrink and crop it to fit though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Appeasing the BLM mob?:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.