• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What gives with Apple's new icon???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Saaaay, maybe I missed something, but what gives with Apple's new icon I see propping up in various places???

What the **** is it supposed to represent, and why do they keep insisting on having their annoying gray upon gray just like they do with their gray text in their info webpages.

Here's a sample of the icon I'm referring to:

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.17.19 PM.png

YUK!!! Is about all I can say...

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I prefer my Apple icon.

krs

Reaction score
YUK!!! Is about all I can say...

Yes, it's right up there with Big S as the moniker for the next macOS.

Looks especially ridiculous with a black background if the outline of the apple logo on the left side fades away

New Aoole logo.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It may be just me but could there possibly be something political about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Not experienced it but my thought too. Black Lives Matter?

Reaction score
Where, exactly, are you seeing this? On Apple's homepage, it appears like that on the lids of the Apple notebooks in the "Memoji" pictures, but I figured that was just a highly exaggerated lighting effect. The other logos that appear are normal. Are you seeing these in official Apple material somewhere? I sure hope it's not political, as others have suggested. I don't care where you stand on any particular issue, I'm just sick of EVERYTHING being politicized now, whether it's a stance/cause I personally agree with or not.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score

Yes, that's the same as I posted, just happens to be in a video. But notice how at the end of that video, it's a plain white logo, so I don't think this what Patrick posted is some new official Apple logo, but just a highly stylized one that appears in the WWDC promotional graphic.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Unfortunately, that also crossed my mind for a fraction of a second, as some sort of Black/White integration. But God Forbid Please ... NOOOOooooo.....

But it did strike me as odd and I wondered why, just the same as the skull&crossbones flag that's showing on some Apple and associated websites

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
But it did strike me as odd and I wondered why, just the same as the skull&crossbones flag that's showing on some Apple and associated websites

- Patrick
======

The skull & crossbones has been around since the 70's and was brought back in 2016 for the 40 year anniversary of Apple. They flew the flag at IL in April of 2016 and you can get t-shirts with it now. I am pretty sure that the other logo has been shown before and I have never seen anything political tied to it.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The skull & crossbones has been around since the 70's and was brought back in 2016 for the 40 year anniversary of Apple.

There is a story as to how it came to be and why:

But the team was growing and expanding. As the Mac team moved to larger, more corporate digs in August 1983, the team members decided to take the "pirates" lesson to heart. Apple engineer Steve Capps decided the best way for the Mac team to mark its territory would be to fly its own pirate flag above the building.

Capps took some black cloth and sewed it into a flag. He then enlisted graphics designer and Mac team member Susan Kare (who was responsible for many of the user-interface elements and icons of the original MacOS) to paint a skull and crossbones in the center. Kare chose the rainbow Apple logo as the eyepatch on the flag.
Here's why Apple is flying a pirate flag to celebrate its 40th anniversary

So there is a definite reason as to why it is associated with Apple.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Interesting that I was not the only person to have the same thought. Without entering into any debate on the issue I wondered if in these days of political correctness gone mad if Apple might be just subtly testing the waters to see what the public reaction might be. I mean if I thought it, and others thought it, I just can't believe that the sales/marketing division at Apple didn't think of it too. We are talking about it, others must be too. Of course this way Apple can get a reaction and if it doesn't go down well they can always deny it as deliberate. Just an updated logo someone thought of, never thought about the implications etc, etc. I guess we'll find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think you guys are just reading too much into this. The new Apple device logos no longer glow, but have a polished finish. That color shift you see is a very typical of way of portraying a shiny/reflective surface. It's not the first time they've edited the logo to portray a reflective/glass/shiny surface for the logo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, a diagonal slash is the universal symbol for "NO".

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but have a polished finish.

Hmmm...??? Sort of like the drunk who died drinking varnish??? He had a nice finish. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Well, a diagonal slash is the universal symbol for "NO".

It's more of a backslash, than diagonal slash; the former one can stand for a lot of things, some of them are not suitable in this forum...:Smirk:

If you look at the new iPhone SE's back, it does have the referenced two tones icon. Previous versions of the iPhones have the single color Apple icon...

Reaction score
If you look at the new iPhone SE's back, it does have the referenced two tones icon. Previous versions of the iPhones have the single color Apple icon...

That picture is edited to give a shiny lighting effect. I'm literally holding a 2020 SE in my hands right now and can verify the logo is just plain silver. Here's a non-marketing picture from Google:

iphone-se-2020-back-2.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.