• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you like to drink?

Reaction score
Frankly, as someone with a serious sweet tooth, I've found sucralose (Splenda) to be a lifesaver (and yes, I've seen the web sites sponsored by the sugar companies that talk about the horrible, horrible things that sucralose can do to you).

Correlation is not causation but I made a "diet switch" from sugar to Splenda and was drinking the Coke and Pepsi splenda products like water for six months ... before developing kidney cancer. Doc said I had exactly zero other risk-factors other than ingesting large volumes of artificial sweeteners. Call me paranoid but I avoid the stuff like the plague now. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Youch, Todd! :eek:

Yeah I avoid those non-biodegradable sweeteners too.

How long ago was that?

Reaction score
Not quite a year since it first showed up, eight months ago yesterday since I had my surgery and it was over & done with. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Wishing you the best, Todd.

My view is that copious quantities of anything is bad for you. Drinking anything other than water "like water" is bound to have some effect on a person, and as you said, correlation is not causation.

My Coca-Cola Classic habit was having a negative effect on my triglycerides, blood pressure, and weight-- at the very least. That's why I stopped it, and Splenda merely fills in the gaps when I absolutely need a sweet fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Best of health to you Todd! Glad you survived.

For me, my favorite diet drink is water. I don't do artificial substitutes. I don't trust them. If I shouldn't be drinking a regular Coke, then I just don't do it. Suffice it to say there are "weight" issues in my family. Will power usually wins over hunger and a desire for treats.

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Except for the occasional 'half n half' aka 'arnold palmers', I don't really consume too much sodas/softdrinks. My parents have diabetes, so I'm careful with my intake of sugar. But I sometimes find it 'necessary' to treat myself to some unhealthy stuff once in a while.
Plus who needs high fructose corn syrup when you got alcohol, the drink of the gods, the solution and cause of all of our problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Budweiser if i'm broke. Guinness if I have some cash, draught not stout. Its a meal in a glass. Then Bombay Sapphire and tonic w/twist of lime if I am out partying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
French Lavander Tea

I strongly recommend trying French lavander herbal tea.
I think, you could also mix Lavander with green tea or black tea to add flavor.
Use 1 tsp. of lavander flowers for 8 ozs. of water.
Boil water and pour it over the flowers in an empty tea pot (you have to use a strainer).
Do not boil the Lavander flowers, it will be too strong.
It has a mild, aromatic, sweet taste. It goes with honey, also. Enjoy.

This is where I found it, but you have to buy at leas a pound. I love all their teas.
http://www.herbspicetea.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
French Lavander Tea

SORRY ABOUT THE REPEATED POST.

I strongly recommend trying French lavander herbal tea.
I think, you could also mix Lavander with green tea or black tea to add flavor.
Use 1 tsp. of lavander flowers for 8 ozs. of water.
Boil water and pour it over the flowers in an empty tea pot (you have to use a strainer).
Do not boil the Lavander flowers, it will be too strong. It has a mild, aromatic taste. It goes well with joney, too. Enjoy.

This is where I found it, but you have to buy at leas a pound. I love all their teas.
http://www.herbspicetea.com/

Reaction score
I drink water and caffeine free Diet Coke. I don't drink any alcohol. It's just not for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Yikes, Todd, that's scary - thanks for the heads up - and glad you're ok :)

For me, it's

water - 90% of the time
coffee - black w/stevia
tea in winter
monster in summer (lc blue can)
the occasional beer or glass of red wine (it's good going down, but alcohol puts me to sleep so I don't drink much)

Reaction score
Jeez Todd! Best of luck to you :(
I absolute abhour artificial sweeteners and won't touch them with a barge pole. In my training as a shiatsu therapist I spent 3 years studying foods and it's effects but monkey say monkey do. My Courvousier brandy imput far outwieghs my mung bean sprout imput. Coffee with sugar, coke with sugar, brandy and decent wine and Earl Grey Tea are my vices. IMO diet 'soda' drinks give rise to obesity and far more problems that we are aware of yet.

Reaction score
Should have added on - I heard a story a year or so ago about a millionaire in the USA who would import his 'Coke-Cola' from Mexico due to them using a different type of sweetener than you get in the USA. Sorry, my brain is addled tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Water
Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea
Orange Juice
V8 Juice

My cousin (who lives in the Lehigh Valley area) is addicted to Turkey Hill iced tea. She claims it's the glue in their cartons! lol

leecho, the "half-and-half' you enjoy is referred to round these parts as an "Arnold Palmer."

My favorite "Arnold Palmer" is made with peach iced tea! yum

i noticed that Obtruse also avoids high fructose corn syrup.

is anyone else besides us making the concious effort to avoid this stuff like the plague?
I also avoid HFCS... maybe not 'like the plague.' :flower:

I also avoid aspartame like the plague. It makes me feel weird (well, "weird-er" :).

Aspartame I do avoid 'like the plague.'

Reaction score
Corn syrup!!! That's the stuff I couldn't remember!
It's in American Coke but in Mexico and Europe they use good old sugar.
Aspartamine is the devils work IMO. Although studies have come up with no fim 'evidence' of it being harmful there are way too many bad stories about it for me to feel secure. Like I said before in my work and training we had to study foods, this included Chinese Medicine and food. I would rather have a pure substance in moderation than some chemical filled crap in my everyday foods. Like good old Oscar Wilde once said -
'Everything in moderation, including moderation'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.