What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
The D7100 is a nice update but certainly more expensive.
For the money you get a bigger LCD, better weather sealing, more focusing points, probably better ISO range, reported better resolution. But the buffer is reduced because of the bigger files, so action shots may suffer.
If none of those things apply to the type of shooting you do you can save the money and use it for a lens.
My daughter just got the 7100 and it is a very nice handling camera.
But, as always, it's not the camera ;~)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would say you got a deal! :D

D7000 is a great camera, but so is the d7100 . . . and in someways better.
I keep going back and forth between the two trying to decide. Right now I'm leaning d7100.

I did mate :D Im stoked . . . . Which is a understatement lol

I was ummming and arrhhing all day yesterday, because a Aust dealer had one for $999 for our Boxing Day sales, but wasn't sure if i could get what i wanted for the D7000. Then late last night i went back to eBay and because i saved it last time, i just updated some details and put it on, then got the shock of my life when i woke and it was sold as a Buy It Now.
Then i went back and nearly pressed Buy Now at Kogans, when i thought i would look elsewhere and low and behold, there it was for $919 SOLD haha

The D7100 is a nice update but certainly more expensive.
For the money you get a bigger LCD, better weather sealing, more focusing points, probably better ISO range, reported better resolution. But the buffer is reduced because of the bigger files, so action shots may suffer.
If none of those things apply to the type of shooting you do you can save the money and use it for a lens.
My daughter just got the 7100 and it is a very nice handling camera.
But, as always, it's not the camera ;~)

BTW Nice shot above :)

Well I'm not a action shooter by any means, but for those shots, it will be easy enough to just shoot jpeg and then will keep the speed up a bit more, for the few if any i do do.
I have been eyeing the D7100 ever since i got the earlier model, and now i have the chance so i jumped at it.
This will get me through the years now, and I'm looking forward to some experimenting.
I like that this is better in Low Light as well, and i just got a Speed Light SB-700 on sale yesterday so things have gelled well for me.

Got rid of the 55-200mm lens as there was something that just didn't feel right about it. My next purchase will be a nice Prime Wide Angle but i have enough now to keep me happy.
Holidays next week, so ill be back with quite a few shots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I did mate :D Im stoked ...............

Got rid of the 55-200mm lens as there was something that just didn't feel right about it. My next purchase will be a nice Prime Wide Angle but i have enough now to keep me happy.
Holidays next week, so ill be back with quite a few shots.

Congratz. Its well worth 100 bucks for that upgrade.
55-200mm lens is a odd lens, I have noticed most pro photographers on both the Nikon and Canon side seem to go more for a 18-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 as well. As it seems to cover most ranges. Keep in mind those are normally full frame owners/users.

I got the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 EF-"S" USM Lens. The 10mm really shines for owners of APS-C (1.6 and 1.5) crop sensor cameras like you and I own. I am happy with my UWA Zoom lens, but if you do get a prime try to get somewhere between 10 and 12mm. Don't worry about the aperture on the lens if your goal is landscape shooting, as you will need to be somewhere between f/7 and f/11 for a crisp image that has a long depth of feel. Anything faster like f/4 and either your foreground or background will end up blurry.

Also don't been a scared to look at some "newer" sigma lens. These being the new lens following the new product line naming, such as Art, Contemporary and Sports. These are lens are a step above in quality. The Art line is the equivalent to Canons L series of lens with the exception of weather sealing. Keep in mind half of Canons L series lens don't have weather sealing also.. But hey your a Nikon user anyway.. LOL.. If I am not mistaken the Art line of lens are metal bodies, at least the few I have looked at are. I ordered the Sigma 18-240 Macro Contemporary lens. Now its not the best lens out, but its way better then the new kit lens that would have came with my 70D I ordered and I got it for 350 on sale. Plus it runs circles around the piece of junk 28-135 we have now. But I really want the Sigma 24-104mm f/4 Art lens, but its $899. Slightly out of my budget for the next few months. So if/when I do get the 24-105, the 18-250 can go to my wife to upgrade her lens.

But anyway. Check out the Sigma new lines they have out. I have been seeing many diehard Canon/Nikon fanboys that would never look at another lens brand, recanting their standpoint on this.

But anyway, the point is. Buy the best glass you can afford no matter what brand it is. Cameras are only as good and the lens they are using. Also don't go cheap on your filters. I got a few china brands that I through away last week, they fuzz up pictures. Most everyone goes for B+W, but expect cold chills to run down your body when paying for these. Hoya makes some reasonable ones. I have a few Meco's made in the USA that I paid out the rear for. Keep in mind, they make filter adapter lens. So if you already bought a 82mm or 77mm CPL at top dollar but need some for your 72mm or even 62mm sizes for other lens. Amazon sells metal adapters all day for about $10 a piece.. Much better then another 100 dollars for another CPL..

Well anyway, again congrats on your purchase.

Cheers,
Joe

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
The Tokina 11-16mm DX Wide angle Zoom is a very nice lens for your Camera.
Used the 10-17 Fisheye for years and it was a great lens used by many Underwater photographers.
Have also used the 12-24mm Nikon Dx lens.
All would do fine for WA work.
All in all, the only thing I have found that helps one take better images, is, taking more pictures.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would opt for the Tokina instead of a WA prime (actually I did, it was the third lens I bought). Outstanding WA zoom for DX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I would opt for the Tokina instead of a WA prime (actually I did, it was the third lens I bought). Outstanding WA zoom for DX.

I 2nd this as well. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 was one of the lens I considered before I got my Canon 10-22mm. The reason I went with my Canon over the other lens option was that the store owner thought my lens was a "old" model since it had no Image Stabilizer and sold it to me for $350 USD. Little did he actually know the only reason that lens was not a "L" lens was that Canon made it for APS-C sensor cameras, thus since it wasn't for a Full Frame sensor. It wasn't given a L designation.

But yea.. the Tokina is going for less then 520 on Amazon right now. Thats a steel over the normal $900 bucks price range.

Now I would stay away from Tamron unless you just find one you like. From all the reviews I have read over the past year. Seldom is there a good Tamron, its either their build quality is crap or their lens appears to soft and not sharp as others. Tokina has some real winners, Sigma has to, but like my other post stated. They (Sigma) are going from a OK lens maker to a great lens maker this past two years and their newer products reflect this.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The Tokina 11-16mm DX Wide angle Zoom is a very nice lens for your Camera.

I 2nd this as well. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 was one of the lens I considered before I got my Canon 10-22mm.

Well its a consensus then, ill have a look at the Tonika's :p

Have also used the 12-24mm Nikon Dx lens.

All in all, the only thing I have found that helps one take better images, is, taking more pictures.

Ohhh Isn't it a sexy Lens, well the 10-24mm is but Ouchy on the $$$

IwG54bs.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well its a consensus then, ill have a look at the Tonika's :p

Yea have a look, what I have noticed on some of the better aftermarket lens like the Tokina is that they will often put top of the line glass to try to be comparable to the pro line of lens from Nikon or Canon. The f/2.8 aperture, while not useful for shooting landscapes that should be done in F/7 to 11ish.. Can be extremely useful at night taking photo of objects or buildings in the dark were you can have a shorter focal length. Or even very useful for taking pics of stars at night, just set the lens to MF and set the focus to infinity. Using F/2.8 will let you be able to shorten the shutter speed getting much sharper stars and planets in the sky in your image.
Not to mention it comes with a lens hood and 3 year warranty for about $450 USD.. Surely a good purchase IMHO..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a link for the older version, $440 USD

I think the D7100 has built in focusing motor anyway doesn't it? So if it does, the older lens will still focus anyway. I know the D5xxx series doesn't have built in focusing motor.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the D7100 has built in focusing motor anyway doesn't it? So if it does, the older lens will still focus anyway. I know the D5xxx series doesn't have built in focusing motor.

You are correct

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Now I would stay away from Tamron unless you just find one you like. From all the reviews I have read over the past year. Seldom is there a good Tamron, its either their build quality is crap or their lens appears to soft and not sharp as others.

I use the Tamron 10-24 - it's a perfectly fine WA lens for the money both in terms of IQ and build quality. Perhaps I've been lucky, but my experience with the 10-24 led me to purchase 2 further Tamron lenses (24-70 and 70-300) which are also excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nick,
Thats actually good to here. It may just be the lens I was looking up (18-270 for example) that the build quality wasn't to great on, or that the ones reviewing the lens are just over zealous and just plain brand fanboys.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i have now been away for a week ½ holidays down on the coast camping. I took along the D7100, and i have to say, I'm so very happy i upgraded. First thing you notice when you hold it over the D7000, is the build quality. It looks more solid, it feel so much more comfortable, and with the weather proofing all round its a nicer camera to look at.
On the camera itself, it is true, it has a better image in low light. The AF is very quick and quiet. The 3.2" Screen is a joy to view images and with so much info with the Histogram, i love it. The images seem to pop a little more, with White Balance, more balanced IMHO, and then when i import to Aperture, they keep more of the colour than the D7000, once the Processing is done. When i bought the D7000 images over, they seemed darker than they should have been, but with this camera, they don't change a great deal.
Ill get a pic or 2 up once i have them all sorted, but at the end of the day, I'm happy :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..........I took along the D7100, and i have to say, I'm so very happy i upgraded. ............ I'm happy :D

The D7100 is a fantastic camera. I think I have seen every comparison video on the internet comparing the 70D and the D7100 in head to head shoot outs. In the end they are both fantastic cameras, the D7100 having slightly better low light photos and better image color and contrast. While the 70D having slightly better autofocus in sports and video photography. Before Canon upgraded their sensor and released the 70D, I was highly considering the D7100 that came out first, despite having a handful of Canon lens. The images are just that good and the low light capabilities are on par with a D800. I do a lot of night time shoots and it would have slightly been a better choice. But luckily for me the 70D's image sensor was the first real update in years with Canon, saving me from buying new lens.. LOL

To be honest, this will prob be the last DSLR I will buy as we know them now. If you noticed the Canon EOS M small size (mirror less) and the new live mode auto fusing capabilities with the 70D. You can see a trend start to go away with mirror bodies and move to more mirror less designs. Admittedly I think they will have to work on the ergonomics of the Ms design. But over the next 5 years or so, we could see Pro quality mirror less cameras that use current lens out already. Like I mentioned its like the 70D is testing the internal hardware while the M is testing the size with consumers.. IMHO..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's

I couldn't agree more, I've tried the older model on my D7100, it's excellent. It will be my next lens purchase. I'll probably go for the new model. There's very little price wise between it and the older model, and the improved coating may help when shooting into bright lights at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't agree more, I've tried the older model on my D7100, it's excellent. It will be my next lens purchase. I'll probably go for the new model. There's very little price wise between it and the older model, and the improved coating may help when shooting into bright lights at night.

Does anyone even make a 8mm up to a 12mm UWA Prime for a APS-C camera? The closest Canon makes is a 14mm f2.8 L Prime for a sick $2,400. Which isn't even a very good lens for that price, plus its for full frame giving you a 22mm equivalent.. Not impressive at all.. My 10-22mm UWA Zoom is 3.5-4.5 and to me 3.5 to 2.8 isn't worth $2000 more dollars.. Plus the Tonika 11-16mm f/2.8 doesn't cost anything close to that at about 500 bucks on Amazon.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice work on the Exposer Reference Card Joe :) Once i work it out, I'm sure it will come in handy lol
Im trying to keep questions out of the Showcase Thread, and leave that for photo's, sooooo.......

......this might sound like a stupid question to you Joe, Mike, and anyone else, but Joe back to the other thread, and in the last 2 days, i have come leaps and bounds in the way of understanding all the info on the displays, and what all the buttons, knobs and so on do, but one thing that has come up, and i can't seem to replicate it.
When i first got my D7000 and now the D7100, i used Auto No Flash to start, then turned to M, P, S, and A just trowing things around and trying things out, and from the dark of all dark images, to the Highlights blasting out i could take a decent image.
I have don't a lot of reading over the last couple of days, and as i said above, i have got a better understanding now, and all i have to do is set the camera right, and let it do the work for you :)
AhatGFF.jpg

Got away a bit there, but the ? Is how do I, or what mode is used to be able to use the Multi Selector on my Nikon to pick what Focus Point i want ?? Silly i know, but when I'm shooting, and it focuses i still hold the the focus, and then try and change the focus point to one of the other 50 points on the sensor, but it just doesn't move, unless i release the Shutter button and re-focus ?!?!?!? Im lost lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read something about that recently . . . now if I can just remember where. :p

BTW I'm starting to seriously consider upgrading myself. But, I am wondering if I ought to go ahead and pop the coin for a D610. Way more than I originally intended, but I have gotten fascinated with Night Photography and it is very tempting right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.