"Webcam not connected" for my user account only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
"Webcam not connected" for my user account only

Safe mode should allow the iMac camera to work. The issue that is affecting that camera, may also be affecting the other cameras?

And yes, in System Preferences > Security & Privacy, then look under Privacy for Camera.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safe Boot Mode would disable my old Logitech USB WebCam even in Snow Leopard, so I don't imagine there would be any change with Catalina. But maybe worth a try regardless.

That's because Safe Mode turns off all third party kexts. Logitech is still third party, right? :) The built in camera should still work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Just tried Safe Mode. Same error. Sigh.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
So if I resign myself to creating a new user profile, can I just log in as that user and move my data over? Assuming here that the new user will also have admin privileges. I suppose I could move all my stuff into the Shared folder and then move it again once logged in with the new user profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
But I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows how a user account gets corrupted to where it can't use the webcam. There has to be a reason.

Which of your Mac models are you having this iSight pronlem with??

I'm sorry if I missed the fact if It was already posted.

EDIT:
I guess I'm also wondering why you couldn't switch to one of the other Macs if you need access to an isight or webcam camera right away

Just wondering here...

EDIT @:
Ad this is rather interesting and I wonder if you got hit???

14 Fixes Camera Not Working on MacBook after Update Catalina or Mojave
14 Fixes Camera Not Working on MacBook after Update Catalina or Mojave – HowToiSolve

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" iMac with an i5 and 16GB RAM running 10.15.4. Everything is up to date.

I've seen that 14 Fixes page. And about a dozen others. The one thing they all post that seems to work is to use a new user profile. Or reinstall Catalina from scratch.

My iMac is my primary machine that I use for work every day. At any point during the day, I might have to pop into a Teams meeting. It needs to work here. I'll just go with the new user option. Seems to be the easiest answer at this point.

Mucho thanks to everyone who posted here. I appreciate it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, that wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Up and running with the new user profile and the webcam is working. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, that wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Up and running with the new user profile and the webcam is working. Fingers crossed.

Good to hear. I'm glad everything is now fixed and working. And let's hope that your new user profile doesn't get corrupted.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to keep track of any changes so I know what to check next time. I also need to get a Time Capsule backup running now with the new profile so I can go back it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resurrecting this semi-old thread as a follow-up. The latest Catalina update has a bug fix that "fixes a bug where your built-in webcam wouldn’t be detected after using a videoconferencing app."

Mine couldn't be detected after using it in a Teams videoconference. Maybe this bug was the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mine couldn't be detected after using it in a Teams videoconference. Maybe this bug was the problem?

Yep. Too late for you though since you already created a new user. I suspect though if we had deleted the correct plist file that has to do with Teams videoconference, you wouldn't have had to go thru all the troubleshooting and then finally creating a new user.

Now you know. :evil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The latest Catalina update has a bug fix that "fixes a bug where your built-in webcam wouldn’t be detected after using a videoconferencing app."

Maybe this was actually an Apple feature with their extreme reactions concerning user privacy to help protect the user. And maybe somebody actually complained. :D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.