Web browser freezes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac late 2009 2.66 GHz intel core i5 with 8 GB 1067 DDR3
Just recently had hard drive replaced under the replacement program, and added 4 GB RAM for a total of 8 and upgraded to 10.8.2
Now my web browser freezes frequently, and I have to quit or force quit MANY times per hour. Everything just freezes. I quit the browser, restart it after a second or 2 and then it works fine again for a while. Very frustrating. I called Apple support and the guy I talked to had zero idea what I was talking about-also frustrating. I tried to change the MTU to manual in networking and tried several settings, to no avail. I'm to the point now where I would willingly pay for a solution if there was one...

BTW, I am not using Ethernet, I am using a wireless connection. Anyone have this experience?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What browser?
Have you tried a different browser?
Is this happening only on a specific site(s)?
Is this the only app having any issues?

Reaction score
Tell us if you're experience was the same but I saw this over the last week as well. Finally got so bad I had to fix it yesterday. Mine didn't matter which browser I was using. Pinging yahoo or google worked fine (0% drops) but other outbound requests were ignored. Put another way, packet captures showed successful DNS queries then lots and lots of outbound syn packets with no response. Still did this after rebooting, stopping/starting wifi, and renewing my DHCP lease.
I should be ashamed but I was in a hurry so I didn't step through proper troubleshooting. I plugged in an ethernet cable and disabled wireless. I then logged into my DHCP server and set a new IP address reservation for the Mac's wireless MAC and set a resolvable hostname for my LAN's DNS server.
When I turned wifi back on and got my new reserved IP, all the connectivity problems went away. ALSO, the prompt in my terminal now says the hostname I set in DNS instead of "User's Mac" or whatever it used to say. I thought that was pretty strange.

Anyway, I hope that's worth something and I'll keep watching this thread; I'd like to know what the deal was. Since nothing I did would have made me think I fixed it. I was just trying to make something else work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.