Watsapp scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have just had an email from 'watsapp', or that's what it says it is. Fill in a simple 4 answers, 3 chances to choose one of 16 boxes and on the second try I won an iPhone 13 Pro. All I needed to do was to give my name and address and donate £1 to get it within 3 to 5 days.

Needless to say, I am now waiting for the delivery of my new toy, well I would be if I had filled out the info they asked for.

It looked quite genuine, but I don't think it was. Do you?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
WhatsApp doesn't end emails - as far as I know. Never heard of its doing that.

That would be my number one reason for disregarding it. And the idea of them offering gifts - c'mon John, you must be teasing us??

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
It came up as a missed voicemail message Ian. My sister In Aussie is very poorly and at first I thought it was a message from my b-in law so I took an apprehensive look at it. That's when I realised it was going to be a scam.

I don't know a lot about watsapp so I didn't know that they don't send emails, but I do now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It looked quite genuine, but I don't think it was. Do you?

A good way to do a quick chek on such outfit's SPAM is to just ask Google and just include a statement such as you posted as a search phrase, ie: "I have just had an email from 'watsapp' " or substitute any other name of the organization it says it was from and you should get several hits, something like this:

EDIT: here's an article about such scamming messages:

But hopefully most users know about these already and just delete and Trash them.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the link and idea Patrick. With my vast knowledge of watsapp and the like you could write everything I know about them on a postage stamp in 4" letters!

You can rest assured that I will remember about it though, well until next time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
With my vast knowledge of watsapp and the like you could write everything I know about them on a postage stamp in 4" letters!
Same here! For a month or so I got numerous emails telling me I had a whatsapp message to read. I just keep deleting them. Anyone that knows me knows you just need to call me or send me an email. But I did have a call last year from some idiot telling me he was in jail and needed money and kept saying "grandma please help me I love you" blah blah. I leet him go on a while and when he stopped I told him since I never had children it was really not possible I had grandchildren. Click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you for the link and idea Patrick. With my vast knowledge of watsapp and the like you could write everything I know about them on a postage stamp in 4" letters!

Well John, I guess you obviously have a bit more knowledge than I do how about such outfits. ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple really Patrick. Some people think that I know damm nothing, actually I know damm all. A real smartass actually.

Errrrrr, not too sure oif that is what I really meant to say :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.