• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Watch the KEYNOTE everybody!

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah apple computers will still only be able to run osx but they will also be able to run windows.

C

Colin Barnhorst

"I am not "up to date" with all the intel stuff so i have a couple questions. Is the a 64 bit processor by intel now?? ( i think the is not but i am not for certain)"

Intel has their 64-bit cpu's and chipsets in the marketplace already. What is coming out now are the dual-core cpu's for servers and high end consumer machines.

"I think they will do the lower cost ones first so that intel has time to develope a good 64 bit processor for the iMac and PowerMac."

The issue is not low cost first, but laptops first. Apple is doing the laptops early because that is where they are getting behind. The powerhouse 64-bit Intel processors are already in the marketplace. Navigate to the Intel website and check the roadmap.

"I was pretty surprised at how well Rosetta (i think i spelled it wrong lol) ran on the intel. Now if VPC could run that fast on a PowerPC :) (hey i can dream lol)"

The difference between VPC on an x86 and a PPC is 'virtualization' versus 'emulation'. That is why you will never feel satisfied with VPC on the PPC. The speed difference is about a factor of three. There is no way to tweak an emulator to approach the speed of virtualization.

"I am very excited to see what comes out of leopard!!"

Spots. :)

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah the future of intel in macs is looking prety good, the 64 bit chips from intell will be good in the power books of the future

B

badmojo

iMe said:
My guess is that the Mac Mini, iBook, eMac, and PowerBook will be first since their long due for updates...It Should be around 1-2 years. Then the iMac, and PowerMacs will be last. So in reality, G5 owners will have around 3-4 years before upgrading, while G4 owners could only have 1-2/possibly 3 years left.

Just my theory

If this is the case, 3-4 years is a very long time in the computer world, especially the processor world. Who knows what Intel will come up with in that time. I'm optimistic about the Intel/Apple relationship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Intel's in macs could be tasty.
Especially since that demo one was going 3.6 ghz!!!!

Anyone see those pics of inside of the Powermac (with intel processor) behind stage at WWDC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
No I didn't.... got a link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Wow.... That is certainely something I never thought I would see.... Kinda Sureal.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looking at those pictures, makes the PowerMac look like a regular PC.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah seams kind of empty but i bet by the time they are selling them as a product they will have more stuff in them

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The PowerMac tower could be smaller or even a new design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
It really creeped me out when I saw them

D

diim

You know what, part of the whole mac expirence is the hardware as well, I find that they have the most comfortable mice (Yes I do like the one button mouse) The keyboard is very confortable on my hands, the the machines look the best and are fast. Wouldn't worrie about intel. I just hope they upgrade the Powerbooks so that the old one's can go on sale so I can finally afford one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Can someone provide this link? I can not find it on apple.com.
Thanks.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hope you enjoy it, its good and lets you know the direction apple is going in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.