Wake & Bake :/

Reaction score
Heh, first post! Anyways.

I recently bought a new 15" MBP and there have been instances where it wakes up inside my backpack and gets insanely hot. I can understand if it was in sleep mode and something turned it on (blue tooth, button press...etc.) but it was completely shut down...

Now I think about it everytime I shut my system down...I make sure to eject all devices, exit all programs and sometimes, I put my ear on my laptop and listen to see that my HD is physically turned off...lol.

Maybe an update pops up as soon as I shut down but I dunno...it has happened about 4 times out of a few hundred, but what if the 5th time causes damage? I can't really afford to replace parts when I'm saving up for a 5D Mark II, muaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Two things:

1) I have never heard of this happening, and it has never happened to me.

2) Make sure that when you shut down, the screen is black and the light is off that would indicate it is asleep before you close the lid. If you don't, it will probably sleep and be on the precipice of shutting down, but still not completely shut down.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I had figured that into the problem and it may be right. Out of those 4 times it could have been user error but I'm still looking into it and making sure it isn't a rogue program that auto updates and keeps my computer on.
I do have a lot of Adobe products. Who knows! Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i have had this happen twice to me in the last couple years. my guess was that it was bluetooth related or something to do with the fact that i have it hooked to a secondary monitor while at work.

i started to make sure that before i close the lid i make that i unplug my external monitor and let it get itself back together on the macbook lcd before i close it and since i have been doing this i have not had it happen again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If it's actually shut down, nothing will be able to turn it on besides pressing the power button. Perhaps you are putting it in its sleeve too soon after using it. A couple of times, after I've been using my MBP for a long time on graphics-intensive work, I've put it in its neoprene case as soon as I've closed the lid. When I unzip it to take it out later, it's really hot. I guess that the sleeve was trapping all that heat in and not letting it dissipate. You might try giving your notebook a few minutes to cool down before enclosing it in anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
is the OP saying shut down but meaninf Sleep, if so mine does it too, if take mine anywhere i make sure its shut down, not sleeping, i've notice it waking up for no reason at all. you can risk your lappy or just shut it down..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.