VPN, FTP, Server... oh my!

Reaction score
I think I know exactly what I want to do, but I might need someone to correct a few errors in my thinking. I'm fairly literate at most of this terminology and the way it works, but there will be gaps in my knowledge. That's where you come in...

Scenario is, I own a small recording studio that has three Mac machines, for now running 10.6.8. (No lectures on the outdated OS, please. I have my reasons.) We have five employees with newer Mac machines running various OS versions that are more current. With recent updates of Dropbox and TeamViewer, we quickly lost some functionality.

The main goals are as follows:
-access individual computers via screen sharing
-access files on any computer
-share individual folders with clients, but not the entire studio network. (see Dropbox alternative)

My idea is this. Set up a VPN so that we can access OSX Screen Sharing. Get an older Mac machine to use as a server which would double as a way to back things up at the studio right after a session, but also back up home machines.
Use a Dynamic DNS for customers or employees to access files with varying permission so that they don't need to download any software. But that whole last part may be where I am complicating things. It would be great if I could have some kind of two-way access where I send the customer an address and they can either download files or upload files for me. (Download is the necessity, upload is a luxury. They can use WeTransfer or something else if too complicated.) Lastly, it can't be overly complicated... some of our 'musician minded' clients would never be able to understand much past "click the link to download your files"...

Hopefully not too convoluted of an explanation to understand what I'm trying to do.
Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.