Viewing passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Okay, got the new iMac and can't seem to view passwords. I go to Safari, click SETTINGS, unlock passwords and a new screen comes up that does not show my passwords like in High Sierra. How to I view all my passwords?

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Have you migrated your account from your old Mac to the new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can also get to your passwords in System Settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Okay, got the new iMac and can't seem to view passwords. I go to Safari, click SETTINGS, unlock passwords and a new screen comes up that does not show my passwords like in High Sierra. How to I view all my passwords?

Pete
Assuming it's running Ventura, when you open Safari/Settings and then Passwords, you should be asked for an admin password and then yu can see a list of the accounts for which passwords exist. Select the account you want (you can search for it in the search bar if you need to). Once that account is found, click the icon with "i" in the circle and a panel will open with the information on that account, including the password. To see the password, just hover the mouse cursor over the password area.

Apple has made the storage of passwords much more like the third party password managers, which is appropriate because now that storage of passwords is not just Safari, but other things as well.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Pete

At least two ways of getting there:

Open Safari > Safari Settings > Passwords

Open Settings on your Mac > Scroll down to near bottom > Passwords

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
We are assuming that you are using the same Apple ID for iCloud syncing on the new device and that Passwords & Keychain were turned on in iCloud Sync Preferences on your older machine.
If so, and you have Passwords & Keychain on in iCloud settings on the new machine turned on as below; Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 9.00.34 am.png
then your passwords should have synced from iCloud to the new device.

If you have your old Mac check that Passwords & Keychain is turned on in iCloud Settings.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Jake: I'm running Sonoma.
MightyGem: Did not do a migration. Not sure how to do a migration. But I went to iCloud and somehow synced both computers and my iPhone. Now when I unlock it, all the passwords are visible.
Sometimes dumb luck and a nudge from smarter forum members, can double my IQ to 100.

Pete

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.