Very slow internet

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got a Mac Mini running OSX 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.6. My system has been stable and quick for years, even though it around 8 years old now! (I am looking to upgrade at some point this year however).

Recently websites have begun to really crawl. It started originally on the Yahoo Mail webpage and Facebook. Now it has progressed to a large percentage of sites including Youtube and Amazon. They are very slow to load and often images and embedded videos are blank. If I try to view a Youtube video it will inevitably fail.

I've tried reseting Safari, clearing caches. Even disabling the DNS prefetching, This did nothing. I even installed a couple of other browsers and they all give the same issue.

I know it cannot be my net connection as my mobile devices all work fine, as do my consoles. I can play online games fine on both my PS3 and WiiU with no connection or lag issues.

I'm really stuck! I can't think what else I can try....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You don't say what year your mini is (you imply 2007) or how much memory it has or how full your hard drive is. Posting those items will help. You are also running an older version of OS X - Leopard which was last updated in 2009.

Age could be the factor here. Also when was the last time you ran permission repair and disk repair. Post back some information and we can go from there.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, I must admit that running OS X 10.5.8 is really starting to push web browsing on many sites these days, but you could try a "purge" if it works the same way it does with OS X SL 10.6.8 and later.

And that is to shut down, then boot up into Safe Boot Mode by pressing and holding the shift key until you see a spinning grey gear.

Then login, and while there, open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions and Verify Disk on the selected boot volume.

When that's all done, just Restart normally.

The process will normally with SL + purge a lot of surplus stuff and just might help.

C

chas_m

One of the many things that could be slowing you down is the need for Flash or Java to try and load on some of the pages you're accessing, and on 10.5.8 you are hopelessly obsolete in those regards. I'm surprised this hadn't happened a long time ago, you are many years out-of-date software and technology-wise It's not just the Mac or operating system that incrementally improves; it's Internet technology as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.