Using time machine backup on another device

Reaction score
I currently have a MacBook Pro and I am thinking of buying a Mac Mini to use when I'm at home.

I was thinking of copying my Time Machine backup onto the Mini so I have everything I need, but then effectively I will be running the same software installation on 2 separate machines.

Would this work?

Is it legal?

Mainly I'm thinking about my Parallels installation, in which I have a windows and Microsoft office licences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Some software allows multiple installs on different PC's, but only if one in use at a time. Check with the manufacturer of the software. They usually have it listed in the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Backups are to protect against failure of the system it backs up. As such, it should not be stored on the internal drive of the device it is protecting. If, by the term "copying my Time Machine backup onto the Mini," you mean to restore from the backup onto the Mini, that's fine, but the literal words of "copying my Time Machine backup" is a terrible idea.

As Bob said, you will need to read the license for the software you want to duplicate. You would need to check with Parallels and Microsoft. Sometimes one license can be used as long as it is only in use on one machine at a time, but I think Microsoft licenses by installation, not use, so they insist on a license for every installation. But check the terms at the various websites. Also, given that you would be using software ON the Windows virtual machine, you will need to check with all of them as well.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice on the licensing.

Jake, bas use of words on my part. I was referring to restoring a working copy of my backup to the new computer, as opposed to copying my actual backup to the device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jake, bas use of words on my part. I was referring to restoring a working copy of my backup to the new computer, as opposed to copying my actual backup to the device.

That's commonly known as using your Time Machine backup to "migrate" to a new machine. The Migration Assistant will automatically run when you turn on the new machine and will ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac. Do not create a user account on the new machine but allow the Migration Assistant to migrate your account from the older machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.