Using old hdd

Reaction score
My old mbp busted so I removed the hd in hopes that I could use it in another mbp body. There are a lot of memories in that hard drive and it would be nice to retrieve them. And building a "new" mbp in the process

OP
R
Reaction score
Old mbp broke, saved the old hdd. I want to buy a replacement 2011 mbp and use my old hdd so I can recover its content. Is this a pipe dream or can I do it

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If this is a typical spinning hard drive with a SATA connection it's easy to put the drive into an external drive enclosure and move the data onto the drive of a new machine. I have a device similar to this one but there are numerous other drive enclosures that would work as well.

When purchasing drive enclosures read the fine print. I've run across a few that will not work with drives that already have data on them to use the drive you must put it in the enclosure and format the drive thus destroying existing data. You don't want one of those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.