Using multiple hard drives and raids

Reaction score
Multiple hard drives,boot drive, internal raid

Ok I just got a used mac pro quad. I plan to use it for video production- final cut pro, pics - aperture, and music production- protools. THe computer came with 3 - 10k rpm 160g hd's. Two of them are set up as a raid 0. I like the idea of having a faster drive as a boot drive, but 160 seems kind of small to me as the drive to run memory hungry apps and the operating system. Am I right? I could go to a 300g 10k rpm drive. I am also thinking about getting a bigger drive, say a 750g or 1 tb 7200 rpm. Should I use this as the boot drive or as a secondary storage drive?. If it's the boot drive should I add the other 160g 10k drive to the raid or keep it separate? I assume that neither way would be wrong, nor create a problem, but since I haven't put anything on it yet, I'm wondering what would be the most efficient way to manage my files and get the most out of my computer.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok let me write this out in a way so I won't get it too mixed up. Hopefully this will help me better understand your answer and others. I'll put it in a couple of scenarios, and then maybe you can explain more from there, like which is best or even suggest a different setup.

Setup 1 (current) - 160g 10k rpm boot drive, 2 - 160g 10k internal raid, 1tb 7200 rpm internal storage drive

Setup 2 - 300g 10k boot drive, 3 - 160g 10k internal raid

Setup 3 - 300g 10k boot drive, 2 - 160g 10 internal raid, 1tb 7200 storage drive

Setup 4 - 1tb 7200 rpm boot drive, 3 - 160g 10k internal raid

I assume that setup 3 is optimal of the choices, but I could be wrong especially if a 3 hard drive raid is much better than a 2 hard drive config. Either way, is either of them significantly better than the current setup? How should I distribute the files? can I keep the music and video files in the same location or should I keep them separate. Maybe even keep the music files on a separate external hd?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.