Using an outboard USB Super Drive with a MPB?

Reaction score
****Sorry it's not a 'floppy' but rather a CD ROM Drive****

My MPB has those small sockets (are they called C sockets?), so at the side of my MPB I permanently have in place an ANKER “Power Expand Direct 7-in-2 USB C PD Media Hub”.

The above has various sockets: 2 USB, two of the ‘C’ (?) sockets, another that accepts the card from my old photo camera. This hub, which is permanently in place, connects my ethernet, the display, the printer and a Lacie outboard hard-drive.

I have not used this USBSuperDrive for long time but I seem to remember that it used to get enough power from the MPB.

But now, when I plug the outboard SuperDrive into a USB socket in the ANKER, I get a screen message: “USB Accessory Needs Power. Connect Apple USB to a USB port on this Mac”. And this even when there is nothing else being powered: the display, the outboard Lacie drive and the printer are all pulled out.

This seems to suggest that I’m not getting enough power via the ANKER’s USB. This is a great pity because I want to see some of the photos and other data stored on the CR-R disks.

Can someone pse suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance ….

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Which MBP and macOS are you using? Don't forget to include screen size. Also, does the Anker accept power supplied via USB-C?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Maybe a MOD can change the thread title to eliminate the "floppy" because the drive in question is really a CD-ROM drive. Might help others coming here later to have it right.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The MPB is 16 inch (2019)
Sonoma 14.1.1
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

The ANKER device has two plugs and these are arranged so that the device will plug straight into the MPB. I have mine plugged into the left side; on the right side is the power input.
I do not think that this device can be powered in any other way.
I mean there is no other USB C option but just the two C plugs that are fixed to the ANKER ... these are made so that they exactly fit into the two sockets at the side of the MPB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe a MOD can change the thread title to eliminate the "floppy" because the drive in question is really a CD-ROM drive. Might help others coming here later to have it right.
Don't think it's possible to edit the heading on the forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just seen a note stuck on the ANKER:
"The USB A port does not support charging"
What is meant by "USB A port"?
There are two USB ports on the ANKER: I've tried the outboard device in both without success.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A USB A port is the typical rectangular port with four contacts. It's the older, most common port.

USB C port is smaller, oval and has more connectors.

So, the tag on the Anker means that the larger rectangular port on the Anker is unpowered.

To get the external drive working you'll need a USB-c to USB-A adapter and plug into either a USB C port on the Mac (best option) or on the Anker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The adapter needs to be a USB-c male to USB-a female.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LIke this:

There are other brands available.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your help … all understood. I will get one of those connectors. The one in the pic sent by Jake looks similar in size and shape to the one that I use for my ethernet connection. But I realise that the end connection is different, of course.

M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't think it's possible to edit the heading on the forum.
It's possible but you have to be a moderator or Admin. AKA you have a magic wand and know the super secret code word.

Can't believe these guys trusted me with moderator powers. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.