Use iPhone as a modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's all over the news that you will be able to buy 2 iPhones from Apple stores. That may not be the case with AT&T, but it's true nonetheless, and you were wrong. Had you qualified you comment by saying "I only work for AT&T, but from what I know . . . " that would have been better. But you seem to like to drop these simple statements like we should just take your word for it. For someone who doesn't even have 50 posts, you think you deserve a lot of respect when you don't. Despite you're lack of presence on this forum, it's just common sense that you need to provide some kind of back-up when making such statements.

You're just coming off as a big a-hole know-it-all, which is really annoying and you're not going to win any respect that way. Especially when you go off on a long-standing member who obviously already has a lot of respect around here. I told everyone to take your supposedly authoritative statement with a grain of salt, and I was right. Kash called you out on your mistake and your attitude problem and he was right. So just quiet down and hope everyone doesn't blast you into oblivion.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but your blanket statements are very irritating. You just say something as if it's definitive. Yet you provide no evidence to backup your claims. For all we know, you're some 30 year old sitting in your mom's basement getting the jollies by messing around with us.

You stated that customers are going to be limited to one per person, but Apple just announced that customers will be limited to two per person. Now I'm more inclined to believe Apple about its own product. So if you were wrong about this, I'm skeptical about everything else you have to say about the iPhone.

So either backup your statements, or stop making blunt statements that are messing with some members here.

I don't care if you are irritated. I do not need to back up any statement at all. I hope you feel like a big man putting someone else down. is it that you feel left out because you have no information other than what you see on the internet. I have first hand knowledge of the phone and i have already used it. I am not here to prove anything. i just wanted to give some information. Do what you want with it. I don't care.

As for the 2 per person - where was this announced? Apple is only one side of the coin. oh but you knew that already because you are the big internet forum guy. Feel better about yourself. Your insecurities don't need to be posted in the forums.

Reaction score
It's all over the news that you will be able to buy 2 iPhones from Apple stores. That may not be the case with AT&T, but it's true nonetheless, and you were wrong. Had you qualified you comment by saying "I only work for AT&T, but from what I know . . . " that would have been better. But you seem to like to drop these simple statements like we should just take your word for it. For someone who doesn't even have 50 posts, you think you deserve a lot of respect when you don't.

You're just coming off as a big a-hole know-it-all, which is really annoying and you're not going to win any respect that way. Especially when you go off on a long-standing member who obviously already has a lot of respect around here. I told everyone to take your supposedly authoritative statement with a grain of salt, and I was right. Kash called you out on your mistake and your attitude problem and he was right. So just quiet down and hope everyone doesn't blast you into oblivion.

LOL. You also seen to think I care about being blasted into oblivion. I have done nothing but provided information that has been questioned. Everyone seems to know a lot about a product they have never touched before. Good for you. I hope you enjoy the device as I have.

Check out the demo devices. They have movies preloaded. School of Rock, a Clip from Lost and 100 songs from various artists so you can flip through the album covers. There are contacts loaded just like in the video clips. Same names but some of the pictures are different for whatever reason.

Don't forget to upgrade to iTunes 7.3 tomorrow if you want to use the iPhone. I also love the tiny little black boxes that the phones are packed in. They are so small but have a decent weight to them for the size. They are sealed in shrink wrap so nobody can tamper with them.

Anyway, keep talking tough. You obviously deserve the right to do so because you have a high post count. That is the first thing a person should be judged by...a post count.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you're not giving us much else to go on to believe your amazing statements. Besides, if you'll look back at my last post, you'll see I had already considered that and made an addition before you commented:

Despite you're lack of presence on this forum, it's just common sense that you need to provide some kind of back-up when making such statements.

With a company that has the most rumored products ever, you have to give something to credit your statements about their products. Otherwise you're just another big-mouth spreading rumors.

If you don't care what people think and decide to keep up this bad attitude, you might as well save your time and energy because nobody is going to read or care a thing about what you have to say. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't bother posting to begin with.

Good night!

Reaction score
Well, you're not giving us much else to go on to believe your amazing statements. Besides, if you'll look back at my last post, you'll see I had already considered that and made an addition before you commented:

With a company that has the most rumored products ever, you have to give something to credit your statements about their products. Otherwise you're just another big-mouth spreading rumors.

If you don't care what people think and decide to keep up this bad attitude, you might as well save your time and energy because nobody is going to read or care a thing about what you have to say. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't bother posting to begin with.

Good night!

I understand what you are saying. It will make sense tomorrow when everyone gets their iPhone and sees what I am saying is true. I know what I am saying is true and that's good enough for me. I just thought I would share my knowledge with this forum because I thought everyone would appreciate it. I am not here to make a name for myself. Otherwise I may have told you my credentials. I will not do that and again it will be evident that I am telling the truth tomorrow. I may have been wrong in thinking Apple and AT&T would have the same policy about 1 per person but I do know that one company has a 1 per person rule while the other is doing 2 per person.

Just thought I would share. Just because I didn't write a book about each statement doesn't mean it isn't true. I just find it funny that people are calling me names when they have nothing to prove me wrong. It is that they do not have any information at all one way or another and have to assume I am the one that is wrong and is making it up. I understand that. I have been in forums where people do this just to stir up the pot. Trust me I know where you are coming from. I'm just saying that I came here to share info and not to get rep points or anything else like that. Just wanted to help answer some questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
As for the 2 per person - where was this announced? Apple is only one side of the coin. oh but you knew that already because you are the big internet forum guy. Feel better about yourself. Your insecurities don't need to be posted in the forums.

NYTimes said:
Mr. Jobs said Apple planned to limit sales to two per customer, and Mr. Stephenson said AT&T would restrict sales to a single phone per buyer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/technology/29phone-web.html?ref=business

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I acknowledged it in my previous post.
"I may have been wrong in thinking Apple and AT&T would have the same policy about 1 per person but I do know that one company has a 1 per person rule while the other is doing 2 per person."

By the way, you must have OSX v 10.4.10 to use the iPhone. Not sure if this was posted anywhere yet. Also iTunes 7.3 as I said in earlier post.

Any news on tethering? You said you had first-hand knowledge - do you know if it will be in a future update anytime soon? This is another big feature I want before buying an iPhone.

Reaction score
Any news on tethering? You said you had first-hand knowledge - do you know if it will be in a future update anytime soon? This is another big feature I want before buying an iPhone.

There will be some additional updates right around the Leopard launch. I don't have all of the details but there will be a decent amount of changes from what I am hearing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Care to add anything to this statement since it didn't turn out to be true???

Not to forget the fact that he initially dismissed my claim that customers would be limited to 2 units each, only to later recant it with a half-arsed answer

Reaction score
Not to forget the fact that he initially dismissed my claim that customers would be limited to 2 units each, only to later recant it with a half-arsed answer

AT&T allowed only 1 per person. My statement was true for AT&T just not for Apple.

Reaction score
seems strange noone has chosen to read the AT&T TOS. if you don't want to read all that, just skip to the last two sentences.

from AT&T's iPhone TOS

Prohibited and Permissible Uses: Data Service sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) corporate intranet access (including access to corporate email, customer relationship management, sales force automation, and field service automation applications). PROHIBITED USES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, USING SERVICES: (I) WITH SERVER DEVICES OR WITH HOST COMPUTER APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WEB CAMERA POSTS OR BROADCASTS, CONTINUOUS JPEG FILE TRANSFERS, AUTOMATIC DATA FEEDS, TELEMETRY APPLICATIONS, PEER-TO-PEER (P2P) FILE SHARING, AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS OR ANY OTHER MACHINE-TO-MACHINE APPLICATIONS; (II) AS SUBSTITUTE OR BACKUP FOR PRIVATE LINES OR DEDICATED DATA CONNECTIONS; (III) FOR VOICE OVER IP; (IV) IN CONJUNCTION WITH WWAN OR OTHER APPLICATIONS OR DEVICES WHICH AGGREGATE USAGE FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES PRIOR TO TRANSMISSION; (V) USING THE SERVICES FOR ANY ACTIVITY THAT ADVERSELY AFFECTS THE ABILITY OF OTHER PEOPLE OR SYSTEMS TO USE EITHER THE SERVICES OR OTHER PARTIES' INTERNET-BASED RESOURCES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF NETWORK OR SYSTEM RESOURCES (WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL) AND "DENIAL OF SERVICE" (DOS) ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER NETWORK HOST OR INDIVIDUAL USER; OR (VI) INTERFERENCE WITH OR DISRUPTION OF OTHER NETWORK USERS, NETWORK SERVICES OR NETWORK EQUIPMENT. EXCEPT FOR CONTENT FORMATTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH AT&T'S CONTENT STANDARDS, UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, AT&T (Cingular), and I imagine all the other guys, put some language in about tethering, but people do it anyway. Most phones don't even require a hack to do it. How can they really stop you? I've heard that if they notice a device pulling down tons of data they can impede it somehow, which they also say they can do somewhere in the contract.

I mean, how serious are they anyway? According to that, you not allowed to use the Youtube function on your iPhone!

Reaction score
ya, i get all that. i've tethered several devices in the past regardless of the TOS.

that was directed more toward some of the posts here

There will be some additional updates right around the Leopard launch. I don't have all of the details but there will be a decent amount of changes from what I am hearing.

that indicate Apple will be making this readily available as a supported feature. i find it very unlikely they will contradict the AT&T TOS so blatently.

i don't have any evidence to support one way or the other. i'm just going from currently available info. if AT&T chooses to change their TOS, then more power to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.