Use 27" IMAC as monitor

Reaction score
Greetings,

I own a Mid 2011 27" IMAC that I want to use as a monitor for a new MAC mini or Studio. Is that possible? It would save me some money.

Regards

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's not worth it. The iMac can be used as a monitor in a pinch, but I absolutely would not use it as your primary monitor. A decent 27" 2K monitor is $250. If you're spending upwards of 1200 or 1600 for the Mac Mini or Studio, include money in your budget for a decent display.

You've gotten your use out of the 10 year old iMac no doubt, see if you can send it off to a school if still works or safely recycle it if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Your Mac is within the time period where several Macs supported this feature. See here for additional information Turn Your Old iMac Into a Monitor Using Target Display Mode

I'm all in favor of new uses for older Macs but probably isn't a great idea. The older Mac isn't gping to generate a picture anywhere near what your new Mac is capable of generating.

I see RazOr beat me to it.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's not worth it. The iMac can be used as a monitor in a pinch, but I absolutely would not use it as your primary monitor. A decent 27" 2K monitor is $250. If you're spending upwards of 1200 or 1600 for the Mac Mini or Studio, include money in your budget for a decent display.

You've gotten your use out of the 10 year old iMac no doubt, see if you can send it off to a school if still works or safely recycle it if it doesn't.
Thanks for your input!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac is within the time period where several Macs supported this feature. See here for additional information Turn Your Old iMac Into a Monitor Using Target Display Mode

I'm all in favor of new uses for older Macs but probably isn't a great idea. The older Mac isn't gping to generate a picture anywhere near what your new Mac is capable of generating.

I see RazOr beat me to it.
I am happy with the system I have and really don't want to upgrade but am concerned with not being able to upgrade and security issues. Thanks for you input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am happy with the system I have and really don't want to upgrade but am concerned with not being able to upgrade and security issues. Thanks for you input.

Just my two bits, but I am also using the same vintage Mac model, and I am also using a vintage Mac OS version, Mavericks 10.9.5 as it works well for me and I like some of the application features that the later versions removed.

Your Mac model is able to use a later Mac OS version, right up to High Sierra if you want, that is still actively supported by Apple. Unless you were wanting some new features supported with a newer Mac model but that doesn't sound like you need or want that from what you said.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Use your iMac as an external monitor...

Hmmm...??? Odd, I have such a mid-2011 iMac, and I usually find Topher Kessler bang on with his hints and suggestions, but the suggested command+F2 keyboard press does absolutely nothing, as though nothing had happened.

And no, none of the keyboard shortcuts have been modified or changed on my iMac.

Anyway I doubt if I would ever need or use the feature. Just saying it didn't work on my iMac...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.