USB port stop working on macpro snowleopard

Reaction score
Hi ,

I have a mac pro with snowleopard (10.6.8) osx and been using it without having any issue until yesterday. All of a sudden, the usb port stopped working. I've tried plugin in a thumb drive ( memory stick ) and it loads up but when i plugged in any hard disc it doesnt show. I've checked the disk utility and it shows the hard disc. I even verify and repaired the disk. still no sign of it showing on the desktop. I've read on other forum suggesting that I should restart my pram ( optiong + cmd + P +R ) and i did it but still no luck.

This is the same hard disc that I've been using everyday to transfer files from one mac to another. So i doubt it has anything to do with the hard disc.

Anyone face such issue before ?

M

MacInWin

Does the HD you plugged in demand power from the USB port or is it externally powered? Sounds like the USB port has become "short" on power and has enough for a USB Stick, but not a spinning drive that takes more power.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Jake ,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried both hard disc. One that uses the USB port to power up and the other externally powered. Yet both don't seem to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Have you tried other USB cables to connect your Mac Pro to your external hard drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I wonder .. if OP really means a MacBook Pro and trying to run bus powered device/s?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.