USB C to Thunderbolt port on 2011 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I've bought an external SSD drive that has USB C connectors at either end. They fit my 2017 iMac but the Thunderbolt port on my wife's 2001 iMac is different.. What adapter do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've bought an external SSD drive that has USB C connectors at either end. They fit my 2017 iMac but the Thunderbolt port on my wife's 2001 iMac is different.. What adapter do I need?
Hi Alwyn - there have been 4 versions of TB (first pic) - my old MacAir has a TB 2 port (the adapter shown in the second pic and obviously different from a USB-C connection used by TB 3 & 4) - what TB version is on your wife's computer? I suspect your need to find an adapter for that port or I assume there is a USB-A port that could be used with the appropriate cable/adapter. Dave

images.png Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 12.59.05 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should have read a 2011 iMac. So, as speed is not paramount, can I connect to one of the 4 standard USB ports using a USB C to USB A cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That should have read a 2011 iMac. So, as speed is not paramount, can I connect to one of the 4 standard USB ports using a USB C to USB A cable?
Yes.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The cables and adaptors vary widely in quality and price. Generally you get what you pay for in speed and efficiency.
From this relatively cheap one;

IMG_4057.jpeg

To this expensive Apple equivalent;

IMG_4058.jpeg

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now acquired a USB C to USB A but my SSD Time Machine won't do a back up to my wife's iMac without erasing the drive. That would remove my backup. Should I have partitioned the drive? If so do I have to erase it first or can I partition it and just erase the unused partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They fit my 2017 iMac but the Thunderbolt port on my wife's 2001 iMac is different.. What adapter do I need?

You are probably looking at the Firewire 400 port on her 2001 iMac, if it's anything close to the Summer 2001 model and ports provided:

Next to zero support for that technology anymore and I don't know if they're even any cables or adapters that you could use that would be compatible with recent external drives and peripherals.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have now acquired a USB C to USB A but my SSD Time Machine won't do a back up to my wife's iMac without erasing the drive. That would remove my backup. Should I have partitioned the drive? If so do I have to erase it first or can I partition it and just erase the unused partition.

Yes, you needed to partition the drive in two if you intend to backup yours and your wife's computer to the same SSD and yes, you will need to completely erase the SSD to do that.
I have a 2TB Samsung SSD set up in exactly that way for my wife and I.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I have partitioned the drive? If so do I have to erase it first or can I partition it and just erase the unused partition.
Yes. Partitioning will erase your data.

When setting up Time Machine, there is an option to limit disc space used.

See this Apple Support document,

Edit: Forgot to mention item #
5 If a new window appears, you can select the maximum space used for backups and choose whether to encrypt backups. Click Done after selecting settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Should I have partitioned the drive? If so do I have to erase it first or can I partition it and just erase the unused partition.

You could always try using iPartition for Mac.app but I don't know if there's any real advantage to doing so as it is always recommended to have an additional current working backup of the drive you are going to repartition.
Anyway, you can have a look and read about it if you like:
iPartition for Mac info and download:
and/or

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone used iPartition? It's the first time I've seen it. I apologise if my knowledge is a bit dated, I had always thought erasing an EHD was an unavoidable part of partitioning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go to the developer site, they are all for older Mac OS X/OS X/macOS systems. The newest version works with macOS 10.13.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have this thread (TB 3/4 and USB C) with great interest, and would just like to ensure I have my understanding correct:
TB 3/4 and USB C ports cables are physically the same, in so much that any of the appropriate cable will fit any of the ports, however the restriction in speed and information transmitted is restricted by the lowest denominator. i.e. a USB C cable in a TB 4 port would work but only at USB C level, and a TB 4 cable would work in a USB C port but again to USB C level. Also I assume that no actual damage would be caused by mixing the the cables.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have this thread (TB 3/4 and USB C) with great interest, and would just like to ensure I have my understanding correct:
TB 3/4 and USB C ports cables are physically the same, in so much that any of the appropriate cable will fit any of the ports, however the restriction in speed and information transmitted is restricted by the lowest denominator. i.e. a USB C cable in a TB 4 port would work but only at USB C level, and a TB 4 cable would work in a USB C port but again to USB C level. Also I assume that no actual damage would be caused by mixing the the cables.

That seems to reflect my understanding as well. Possibly, like you, I have always found this a difficult area of computing.

Ian

Reaction score

You are correct, but the way you describe it is confusing, possibly even to yourself.

Think of it this way. USB-C is the shape of the connectors on the cable, or of the port you are plugging into. That cable with USB-C connectors at both ends might be made to be compatible with any one of a bunch of different transmission protocols. The protocol is what determines how fast data can move through the cable ideally. "USB-C" is not all a description for a transmission protocol, only for the hardware connector.

The most common names of the transmission protocols are: USB 3.0 (5Gbps), USB 3.1 (10Gbps), USB4 (40Gbps), Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps). and Thunderbolt 4 (40Gbps). (Yes, those last three all offer the same speed. Though the three aren't identical with regard to other capabilities.)

What you are calling a "USB-C port" is, in actuality a "USB 3.0 port", or a "USB 3.1 port", with a USB-C connector. It's the same with compatible cables. e.g. a "USB 3.1 cable with USB-C connectors."

A "Thunderbolt port" is either a Thunderbolt 3 port, or a Thunderbolt 4 port, with a USB-C connector. Once again the nomenclature is the same with compatible cables.

Figuring out which cable to use gets easier when you know that OWC offers USB-C cables that work at best available speed for any and all of the above transmission protocols.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
You are correct, but the way you describe it is confusing, possibly even to yourself.

Think of it this way. USB-C is the shape of the connectors on the cable, or of the port you are plugging into. That cable with USB-C connectors at both ends might be made to be compatible with any one of a bunch of different transmission protocols. The protocol is what determines how fast data can move through the cable ideally. "USB-C" is not all a description for a transmission protocol, only for the hardware connector.

The most common names of the transmission protocols are: USB 3.0 (5Gbps), USB 3.1 (10Gbps), USB4 (40Gbps), Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps). and Thunderbolt 4 (40Gbps). (Yes, those last three all offer the same speed. Though the three aren't identical with regard to other capabilities.)

What you are calling a "USB-C port" is, in actuality a "USB 3.0 port", or a "USB 3.1 port", with a USB-C connector. It's the same with compatible cables. e.g. a "USB 3.1 cable with USB-C connectors."

A "Thunderbolt port" is either a Thunderbolt 3 port, or a Thunderbolt 4 port, with a USB-C connector. Once again the nomenclature is the same with compatible cables.

Figuring out which cable to use gets easier when you know that OWC offers USB-C cables that work at best available speed for any and all of the above transmission protocols.
Randy, many thanks, that does make it clearer, and is (I think) where I was coming from :)

Reaction score
Randy, many thanks, that does make it clearer, and is (I think) where I was coming from :)

Excellent!

So, the thing that trips most users up, is trying to use a USB 3.0/USB-C or USB 3.1/USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter with a 4K or better monitor. What is required is a an adapter that supports the Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 protocol.

I posted a chart earlier, in a different thread, that I think makes all of these buses easy to figure out at a glance.

I have a similar chart that I made for HDMI cables, that I can post if anyone is interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Excellent!

So, the thing that trips most users up, is trying to use a USB 3.0/USB-C or USB 3.1/USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter with a 4K or better monitor. What is required is a an adapter that supports the Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 protocol.

I posted a chart earlier, in a different thread, that I think makes all of these buses easy to figure out at a glance.

I have a similar chart that I made for HDMI cables, that I can post if anyone is interested.
Hi Randy - thanks for your concise and clear explanations! (y)

Of course another issue to consider is the power offered by these various protocols and cables, e.g. the earlier versions carried only 2.5 W, now up to 100 W (and even 240 W on a newer USB standard) w/ power delivery; and power can be offered in one or both directions, the latter being great w/ the newer USB-C batteries and laptops.

Finally, be wary of USB-C cables (I own a number) without clear labelling - data transfer rates, HDTV compatibility, and power offered may be unknown and non-functional with your attached device(s). One caveat is that some (many?) of these unlabelled USB-C cables may provide only 480 Mbps data transfers. Dave

Reaction score
Of course another issue to consider is the power offered by these various protocols and cables...

Finally, be wary of USB-C cables (I own a number) without clear labelling - data transfer rates, HDTV compatibility, and power offered may be unknown and non-functional with your attached device(s). One caveat is that some (many?) of these unlabelled USB-C cables may provide only 480 Mbps data transfers.

Another reason to use OWC cables. They are good to go for every protocol, every use, every amount of power, etc.:

You can get cables that are a few dollars cheaper from Amazon, but they aren't worth risking the aggravation.

Of course, many peripherals that come from respected manufacturers come with cables that are up to the task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.