• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

USB 3 - How long will Apple take to support it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Yes I agree. USB's backwards compatibility is its huge advantage. I do like USB for most devices since I know I wouldn't have a lot of compatibility issues in the future but for the devices that require faster speeds I like getting Firewire 800. So for me I would hate to be stuck with only USB. I would also miss Target Disk Mode if there were no Firewire.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd say yes but all of my needs are met with USB 2. Sure, I may have large TM backups (I really don't do them often enough) but when they run I can do other things so I couldn't care less how long they take. Other than that, my other large transfers are across the network so those are irrelevant.

Sure, I like higher speeds but I don't seem to have the same interest that others do in pushing speeds to new highs. What I have now works and I'm happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.