USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter was connected but no internet connection (MacBook Air)

Reaction score
I am using MacBook Air early 2015, USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 LAN from RealTek.
Referring to 'Network' on 'System Preference', i was connected to the Internet, however, i was not connected to the Internet.
I've tried to connect with/out driver, googled many ways to be connected and it appeared the same the whole time. I've also tried to uncheck the 'Enable automatic connection' on 802.1X tab, changed 'configure' to manually and other things on MAC address but still cannot connect to the internet. Is there something i did wrongly? Any help and suggestion is appreciated.

N.B.:
  • I have checked on system information, my Macbook Air can recognize the adapter plugged on both left and right USB plug.
  • LAN cable is connected to a cable modem.
  • I can connect to the WiFi from a router connected to the modem.
  • Other LAN cable can connect appropriately to other laptop, both macbook pro, air and any windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The normal way to connect a MBA to ethernet is via an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, plug it in and it simply works.

Does the supplier/manufacturer of the RealTek adapter claim it is compatible with your MBA?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am using MacBook Air early 2015, USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 LAN from RealTek.

I agree with Steve in that the RealTek is likely not compatible. The proper way is to use the Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter supplied by Apple as Steve has indicated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.