Upgrading my IPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 27
I am looking to upgrade my IPad and I have a few questions. I have a 2nd Gen IPad and due to the age of the unit and the OS it just will not run a lot of the current apps that I like and use. I like the idea of buying used and re-purposing stuff instead of having it wind up collecting dust or winding up in a landfill where the LiOn batteries will contaminate the groundwater. I am looking at IPad Classics in Gen 6, 7 and 8. My question is will Gen 6 or Gen 7 or Gen 8 IPads run all of the lastest apps like Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Outlook, Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, and similar? Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So... the iPad Gen 6 will run iPadOS 16, which is the current version. So that and the others should be able to run those apps just fine. You could check the App Store for each app to verify what their minimum requirements are.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Rather than talking about apps you may want to consider features. I have an iPad 6th Gen which runs all the apps I need perfectly but it lacks the ability to utilise some of the features of iPad/OS 16 such as Stage Manager. For that you will ideally need a M1 iPad Pro although Apple did relax that restriction to include:
iPad Air (5th generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later).

As iPadOS versions continue to evolve I can only imagine there will be more features that require the faster processors of the M1 and later.
So if these features are important to you I would consider that in your choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.