Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I was wondering if any potential problems can arise from upgrading directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard without doing a clean install. Does any one know if any potential issues that could arise?

Also, I plan on upgrading with the $29 upgrade disc rather than spend the full cash on the boxed set version. Will this make any difference? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Not that I know of, but perhaps others have tried and had problems.

Although technically the $29 disk is intended for former Leopard users, you can get away with it. That's not officially illegal yet, is it mods?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not that I know of, but perhaps others have tried and had problems.

Although technically the $29 disk is intended for former Leopard users, you can get away with it. That's not officially illegal yet, is it mods?

We are no longer in the business of enforcing EULAs. But officially speaking, the $29 version is designed to upgrade from Leopard. Tiger users are supposed to buy the Boxed Set.

I don't know if it's technically possible to do a straight upgrade, being that the upgrade process is designed to work with Leopard. The only success stories I've heard were from those doing clean installs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No longer enforcing EULAs? Has your account been hijacked:)

That doesn't sound like the cwa I know (haha).

Sorry to be off topic, but that was a little unexpected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I always do clean installs with new os versions.

Reaction score
I helped my friend to upgrade his Macbook which ran on Tiger to Snow Leopard with my Snow Leopard family pack. It worked perfectly without a clean install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We are no longer in the business of enforcing EULAs.

If there has been a policy change of some sort I would love to hear more details...don't want to get in trouble for saying the wrong thing!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If there has been a policy change of some sort I would love to hear more details...don't want to get in trouble for saying the wrong thing!;)

- Nick

Since the release of the Community Guidelines to replace the former "Forum Rules", you'll notice that no mention of EULAs is there. You'll also notice that we haven't been shutting down threads about unlocking or jailbreaking iPhones.

Now that doesn't apply to Hackintoshes or ripping DVDs, since in order to run a Hackintosh or rip a DVD, one must break encryption schemes - which is a violation of the DMCA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see. So not that we can discuss illegal activity, but we can discuss things against EULAs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since the release of the Community Guidelines to replace the former "Forum Rules", you'll notice that no mention of EULAs is there.

Thanks. I see that the "Community Guidelines" are dated 4-20-2009.

The way the statement was phrased above..."We are no longer in the business of enforcing EULA's."...sounded like something may have changed that was more recent.

Just trying to stay up to date in case the rules had changed since April 2009.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I helped my friend to upgrade his Macbook which ran on Tiger to Snow Leopard with my Snow Leopard family pack. It worked perfectly without a clean install.
The family pack is meant for family members, not friends. That, to me, goes beyond simply breaking the terms of the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
The family pack is meant for family members, not friends. That, to me, goes beyond simply breaking the terms of the EULA.

Unless you get married first ;D

Couldn't resist ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Actually this is a "twofer". Using the Snow Leopard upgrade disk to upgrade Tiger is also a violation.

Personally I am not as concerned about the legalese violation as much as it bothers me that taking advantage of Apple's honesty system may one day lead to the draconian methods that MS uses.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually this is a "twofer". Using the Snow Leopard upgrade disk to upgrade Tiger is also a violation.

Personally I am not as concerned about the legalese violation as much as it bothers me that taking advantage of Apple's honesty system may one day lead to the draconian methods that MS uses.

Agreed 100%. I have said that a few times myself as have others. I really don't want Activation in OSX. Not at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Seems like they have changed the definition of a "family" in the Family Pack description.

About the Family Pack

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.