Unofficial Macbook Gaming Thread (Late 2008 Models)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Gaming is never a side thing for many computer users, unless you're one of those casual gamers who only play Spores and Bejeweled. But really your question is whether the BenQ will run OS X? Well, yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. You just have to use the Goog.

Again, BenQ S42. Many times faster than MacBook at almost 1/2 the price. Happily playing Crysis here. You're welcome to try with your MacBook, even with the 9400.

I can play crysis all high with no AA but I am not in to crysis it is just a standard FPS. The BenQ may run OS X under the x86 project but Apple simply work that is why I bought one. Have fun with your BenQ, I happy you like it, I will stick with my MacBook Pro thanks.

Reaction score
Hi

I am in the process of selling all my PC kit to buy a macbook pro and after reading this tread I cannot wait to go and get it..

I will be installing Vista or XP to play a few games such as Eve (premium version). I would be intrested to know how either Vista or XP handels the dual GFX card in the MBP.

Thanks again

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hi

I am in the process of selling all my PC kit to buy a macbook pro and after reading this tread I cannot wait to go and get it..

I will be installing Vista or XP to play a few games such as Eve (premium version). I would be intrested to know how either Vista or XP handels the dual GFX card in the MBP.

Thanks again

Hello! Glad to hear you're making the switch! Just so you know, the MBP does not support "Dual Graphics cards" at this time. You have the choice between using one or the other, but you have to log in and out to switch. On your windows side, you will only be able to use the more powerful of the two (9600m gt) at this time. As of yet, Apple has not given MBP users the option to switch between the two on the windows side. Hope that helps! I'm sure you'll be happy. The 9600m GT is a beast.

Trent out

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
So here are a few of my findings the past week:

Windows XP gives far better performance on the 9400m than vista (but this is to be expected)

Oblivion works better with Vertical sync turned off. It gives me about 9 more fps in most areas. I can then turn up the textures to high and get good fps. On the video I made for youtube, if I go to that same spot with vertical sync off and textures high, I get about 39 fps (on XP).

Sim City (every on that has ever come out) works great! Societies lags a little, but it did that on my buddy's dual 9800GTX setup. It's just a poorly programmed game to begin with.

The Sims 1 and 2 work fine. Seriously though, those have been out for years. They better work fine. Moving on...

COD 4 works wonderfully (as B&O was able to tell us earlier in the week). It's also a really awesome game. If you haven't played it, give it a shot.

WoW works fine. I logged into my buddy's account and played for a bit. It looks and works wonderfully. I never really got into WoW and after playing for an hour the other day, I'm glad I didn't. That game would have sucked my life away in high school, haha.

Crysis is ok...not great, but playable (at medium settings), but that's to be expected. Still a fun game!

Crysis: Warhead works a little better. They optimized the performance of this game a little more, so medium settings gives you better overall fps.

Garry's Mod (really awesome HL2 sandbox) works great. I spawned around 200 barrels of explosives and then blew them all up. It didn't lag much. I had the settings set the same as I did for HL2: Episode 2 (see page one of this thread)

I'll post more as the week goes on. Keep up the good work guys.

Trent out

Edit: I see now that B&O is using a MBP, but my statement stands. COD4 works fine on the macbook as well (although you'll have to cut down on the AA and such). Thanks for your contributions B&O!

Reaction score
Hello! Glad to hear you're making the switch! Just so you know, the MBP does not support "Dual Graphics cards" at this time. You have the choice between using one or the other, but you have to log in and out to switch. On your windows side, you will only be able to use the more powerful of the two (9600m gt) at this time. As of yet, Apple has not given MBP users the option to switch between the two on the windows side. Hope that helps! I'm sure you'll be happy. The 9600m GT is a beast.

Trent out

Thanks for the info. Just want I wanted to know. I have bookmarked this thread an will be checking is often.

Many thanks again

Reaction score
~Anyone tried Dead Space yet?

I want to play games after a hard day using CS4 and A.E. however, as I'm a student do you feel a Macbook would be OK with the 9400 or should I save up and fork for a Pro?.

Reaction score
Vista rating on new MacBook

I've just installed vista via bootcamp and installed the drivers off the leopard disc. Vista rates my graphics 1.0. I have refreshed and it is still 1. I have tried reinstalling drivers but i'm sure it is not installed properly. Help!

Reaction score
has anyone tested starcraft? I'd really like to know how it works with the new graphics in the macbook because it must work fast and flawless for me to buy a macbook. Also do u guys think starcraft 2's requirements will run sufficient or do you think i need a macbook pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, iMac 1.6ghz
Is COD4 singleplayer comparable to COD 4 MP? Also, will cod waw run the same as COD4 ?

Thanks,
ChrisNg

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has anyone tested starcraft? I'd really like to know how it works with the new graphics in the macbook because it must work fast and flawless for me to buy a macbook. Also do u guys think starcraft 2's requirements will run sufficient or do you think i need a macbook pro?

Starcraft worked fine on the X3100 graphics (provided by intel). Heck...I think it even worked on the GMA 950 (version before x3100) so it will absolutely run on the 9400m from Nvidia. I would venture to say that Starcraft 2 will run well, also....if Blizzard ever releases it. Hope that helps!

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Starcraft worked fine on the X3100 graphics (provided by intel). Heck...I think it even worked on the GMA 950 (version before x3100) so it will absolutely run on the 9400m from Nvidia. I would venture to say that Starcraft 2 will run well, also....if Blizzard ever releases it. Hope that helps!

Trent out
Yeah Starcraft runs fine on the GMA950.. it also ran fine on an iBook G4 and probably pretty much anything made since 1999 ;)

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone tryed fallout 3 on a macbook unibody yeyt?

Hello! I've been playing it for about a day now. It detected medium settings (on xp) so I raised it a bit. I raised mostly draw distance and random other settings like resolution (1280x800), but I didn't lower anything. I'll edit later and tell you for sure what the settings were.

It works a lot like Oblivion (it was also made by the same company, so that would explain a lot) and is an awesomely fun game. It's completely playable and as of now I have only one issue. When I turn around to look behind me (the game is massively expansive and has a lot of awesome views) it will lag for about 2 seconds while it loads everything and then returns to normal. I'm going to attribute this to RAM...but I could always be wrong. Very fun game though. I sat atop a tall tower and watched an atomic bomb blow up in the distance...and then proceeded to jump to my death. Good times.

Trent out

Reaction score
Have you try any of this games (far cry 2 / fallout 3) on an external screen ?
Do you think it will work ?

And Fallout 1/2 were so AWESOME I cant wait to play the 3.

Thanks again Codesamurai for all your effort.

Reaction score
A++++++ Work! I just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciated your alls work on this post regarding the Macbooks performance. I have been searching the web on and off for a combined hours trying to find these types of benchmarks and you all have created an awesome collection with this forum! I've been battling over getting a macbook or macbook pro since the release of the aluminum macbooks. After taking your reviews into account I think I'm going to go ahead and just get a 2.4 Macbook instead of the Macbook pro. If money was no object I would get the macbook pro but its just such a big $$$ amount, plus I really like the fact the screen is small. (Unlike most people, the smaller the screen the better for me for the smaller form factor).

Now that I have a little extra money from not getting a macbook pro I can get a time capsule. :) Thanks everyone!

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you try any of this games (far cry 2 / fallout 3) on an external screen ?
Do you think it will work ?

And Fallout 1/2 were so AWESOME I cant wait to play the 3.

Thanks again Codesamurai for all your effort.

It will work on an external screen, just keep in mind that you will be losing performance if you raise the resolution at all. My external is a 1440x900, so when I raised the resolution accordingly, I saw a drop in performance. On most games, that wouldn't be very significant, but on Fallout 3, I noticed quite a bit of difference. If you really want to play on an external screen, I'd recommend keeping the resolution down. Hope that helps!

Trent out

Reaction score
Good to see your still testing. Hope to get my MBP next weekend :)

Anyone see this sort of thread for the new MBP anywhere??

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Good to see your still testing. Hope to get my MBP next weekend :)

Anyone see this sort of thread for the new MBP anywhere??

Any requests?

Reaction score
Any requests?

Nice one thanks

What new'ish games do you have?

I would be interested in what the Windows Experence gives it (I know that this is mostly pointless but it gives me an idea against my desktop which i have just sold.

Games I play are Eve, Quake 4. Going to give Fallout 3 a try and dare I say it... WoW

Would be greatfull of any games you try and give results.

Am intrested to see how the to compair in real world tests

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.