Um... did I turn off the "quit unexpectedly" dialog?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
When apps suddenly quit, you're supposed to get a dialog like this:

The application [name] quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Reopoen to open the aplication again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple.

[Close] [Report...] [Reopen]

But I never get that dialog.

I don't remember if I did something to turn it off. (Is there even a way to turn it off?)

Or maybe it just so happens that I never encountered that dialog out of luck?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Huh. What d'ya know, found it.

I opened this:

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/CrashReporterPrefs.app

There are 3 modes:

Basic

Basic Mode is the default behavior Mac OS X users. The "Unexpectedly Quit" dialog is only displayed for application crashes. The dialog does not contain any debugging options or information.

Developer

Developer Mode provides additional debugging information in the "Unexpectedly Quit" dialog. The dialog is displayed for crashes of system processes and background applications as well as for standard applications. The dialog offers the option to attach with gdb when possible.

Server

Server Mode is the default on OS X SErver systems. It allows for unattended operation while the user is logged in. The "Unexpectedly Quit" dialog is never shown. Crash reports are still logged to disk in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter or /Library/Logs/CrashReporter.

Server Mode is selected for me, so that's why.

However, I don't remember ever opening CrashReporterPrefs and setting it to that. o_O

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.