turn off after every use?

K

Kokopelli

PowerBookG4 said:
I was refering to my powermac quad core.. although I also leave my powerbook on alot, and only close it when on battery power, or it starts to get hot to touch.

I know, but I don't know the PS for a QuadCore. I am guessing in the 195W at peak, but that is a pure guess. Doing some googling I see I was not even close. A 1000W powersupply 165W at idle 330W Peak Usage ans ~200W typical usage. That beast must kick out some heat.

That said it is still not massive when you take into account the typical electrical usage in a home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thanks for the information... 1000W power supply.. wow..I didn't realize it was that large.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
BlindingLights said:
Plus, I'd rather sleep without the hard drive making funky noises every two seconds.

I dont think the hard drive make any noise's when its in sleep mode,because when i put my intel iMac to sleep, it just blinks with the white light, it doesnt matter for me, becasue the iMac isnt facing me in my room. and when i press the buttons on the mouse , or keyboard, then the hard drive starts spining for like 2 seconds. correct me if iam wrong.

Reaction score
I put off my computer once in a while for the sake of the hardware. It takes no more than a minute to boot and I can live with that, but I want to conserve hardware life as much as possible.

I let my iMac G5 run abotu maximus of 5 days on end, bt then I give it a rest, and notice the silence, because the iMac does make a very quiet hum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
While power is my main excuse to turn off my machine, the real major reason for me is that I fear electronics as being fire hazards, I've seen some computers turn into flame balls over the years with no warning at all. Just when you think everything is good, it all goes bizarrely wrong.

U

UncSki1218

yeah i sleep over night. i only restart after updates or whatever. i'll shut down if i'm gone fo a weekend or more.

A

aric149

playm0de said:
I shut down my PC every night before going to bed. Do any of you with macs do this, or is it different?

The Mac sleep system actually works.

I was having to reboot/turn off my windows machine at least every other day. My Mac has an uptime average of 5-6 days, longer if I'm not making changes/update that require a restart.

M

MJGUK

May seem like a silly question but....

I find the bottom of my iBook gets pretty hot after a few hours, is this normal and sustainable if I want to keep it running for something like 24hrs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
MJGUK said:
May seem like a silly question but....

I find the bottom of my iBook gets pretty hot after a few hours, is this normal and sustainable if I want to keep it running for something like 24hrs?

i always use my podium pad with my powerbook, lets some more air ventilate under it. but if you are using it on a hard surface like a wood desk it is fine, just dont leave your laptop running on your bed ffor hours becasue that would just not be good.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
No here is a question for users of portables! Do any of you take your batteries out when plugging into mains? My battery is already dead and I really can't be bothered to buy a new one, on a full charge it will last 20 mins max! I heard there is a cheap way to restore your battery but am not sure how this is done!

M

MJGUK

coach_z said:
i always use my podium pad with my powerbook, lets some more air ventilate under it. but if you are using it on a hard surface like a wood desk it is fine, just dont leave your laptop running on your bed ffor hours becasue that would just not be good.
-chris
Ahhh, thanks for that, I wonder if I can find that or something similar here in the UK.
Either way, yeha I keep my iBook on a flat wooden desk, or one of anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Found this on lowend Mac.
http://lowendmac.com/ibasics/010523.html (it talks about Sleep vs Shutdown and other issues)
It's a little dated but the whole ibasics concept on that site is really helpful.
A lot of good articles on the site covering a wide range of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I realize that a computer consumes very little power compared to most other devices, but I just think every little bit helps..

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not overly anal about this, I just figure why not shut it at night. If I'm not using it, what's the point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
playm0de said:
I shut down my PC every night before going to bed. Do any of you with macs do this, or is it different?

Actually, I wouldn't even recommend you doing that to your PC. The constant on-off will wear out the computer's hardware a lot faster (shock) than if you left it on all the time. Unless your electrical bill can't handle it, it's generally better all around to leave them on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I heard there is a cheap way to restore your battery but am not sure how this is done!

Well on old power drill batterys I used to put them in a freezer for about a day and they work like new afterwards but they weren't Lithium based batterys. Once lithium batterys die you just throw them out and buy a new one.

Actually now days I'm leaving my mini on non-stop I figured it is going to cost me around $20 a year to run, so now days it's always there for me, yay.

M

mactopsuit

I leave mine to sleep everyday and shut down once in a while for a "rest"! Not that it needs one really, but it is nice to get a "fresh start" sometimes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.5, 512, 80gb
Can anyone shed more light on the Battery issue, if you leave your powerbook on 24/7 what sort of effect does this have on the battery life? i notice quite a few people complain of reduced battery times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.