Trying to use Facetime on Mac OS Catalina

Reaction score
Hello.

I am trying to start using Facetime but for some reason I cannot get it to work. I am using Catalina verison 10.15.7. I have googled repeatedly for tutorials and have followed the directions exactly. The problem is that when I sign in and then enter the phone number of the person I am trying to contact and then click on video absolutely nothing happens. I go to preferences to make sure the account is enable and it is. I do notice that in the tutorials I have found that my settings appear sparser by comparison. I also see in the preferences that the email at which I can be reached is grayed out making me think there is a problem there. Can anyone advise here?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are a lot of things that might be causing your problem, it's hard to know where to start.

When you say, "The problem is that when I sign in and then enter the phone number" what do you mean sign in? When I open FaceTime on my MBP there is no signing in. It opens the camera and I see myself with a list on the left side of the people and numbers I regularly contact on FT.

What do you see when you launch FT on your computer? A screen shot would be good.

Are you signed into iCloud on the computer?

Are your personal contact details correct under your Apple ID? See; Apple ID

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just out of curiosity, are you sure the person you are trying to contact has Facetime enabled/configured?

OP
G
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that might be causing your problem, it's hard to know where to start.

When you say, "The problem is that when I sign in and then enter the phone number" what do you mean sign in? When I open FaceTime on my MBP there is no signing in. It opens the camera and I see myself with a list on the left side of the people and numbers I regularly contact on FT.

What do you see when you launch FT on your computer? A screen shot would be good.

Are you signed into iCloud on the computer?

Are your personal contact details correct under your Apple ID? See; Apple ID

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for this response. I am not signed into ICloud. When I said "sign in" I should have clarified that it was when I signed in the first time. I have included a screen shot of both what I see when I open Facetime and what my Preferences look like. I tried to enter a phone number for someone who also has Facetime after which the green Audio and Video options appear at the bottom. I click on Video and nothing happens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 6.19.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 6.19.44 AM.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 34

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@goodwill67,

Firstly, I would strongly advise you to Edit your Preferences screenshot (or delete it) as it shows your Apple ID email address.

As to what's "missing": there should be a line "You can be reached for FaceTime at" with your phone number including the Country Code, and your iCloud email address.

Further down, underneath "Allow Live Photos etc", I have "Start new calls from - with your phone number again shown here.

Here are a couple of Apple articles which may help you:

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank You. I will delete the screenshot. The articles you sent are the very things I have been doing. Nothing allows what's missing to appear. Thank you anyway.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm sorry to hear that.

You know that you need a phone number to use FaceTime. So, if you have FaceTime on your Mac (or on any device), you can use Contacts to identify a person, then choose FaceTime as the means.

I'm a bit in the dark about why you can't use FaceTime. Basically, you and the other person have to have FaceTime on their machines (Macs, iPhones, iPads - not Windows); each of you has to have a phone number associated with FaceTime because it's effectively a phone call via video.

And it's best if you both have WiFi, but not critical.

Let's try this: Open Contacts on your Mac. Choose a name. If that person has FaceTime, and you as well, you will see this:

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 8.32.11 pm🌙.png

Just Click (or tap on an iDevice) on FaceTime Video (third from left) as shown above and it will happen automatically.

If this is not there, either you or the other person has not got FaceTime turned on.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that.

You know that you need a phone number to use FaceTime. So, if you have FaceTime on your Mac (or on any device), you can use Contacts to identify a person, then choose FaceTime as the means.

I'm a bit in the dark about why you can't use FaceTime. Basically, you and the other person have to have FaceTime on their machines (Macs, iPhones, iPads - not Windows); each of you has to have a phone number associated with FaceTime because it's effectively a phone call via video.

And it's best if you both have WiFi, but not critical.

Let's try this: Open Contacts on your Mac. Choose a name. If that person has FaceTime, and you as well, you will see this:

View attachment 34065

Just Click (or tap on an iDevice) on FaceTime Video (third from left) as shown above and it will happen automatically.

If this is not there, either you or the other person has not got FaceTime turned on.

Ian
Thanks, but I am now starting to see that I apparently do not have a good understanding of Facetime and its requirements and uses. This may come as a shock but I don't even have a single contact in Contacts! I have just never had any reason to. So I cannot try what you suggest. Yes, I am what you might call a dinosaur. I thought I would try to upgrade my Mac experience by trying to use Facetime but it is starting to seem like there is something missing somewhere that is not going to let me do so. What frustrates me is that all the tutorials I have read online about Facetime never mentioned anything about how to register a phone number or anything about Contacts. I do remember reading that it can be used with email. Also, I am using a Mac Mini and maybe Facetime is just not compatible with it. Still, I have read that it is supposed to work with a regular desktop Mac and not just the smaller devices. I am sure that if there was a thorough tutorial somewhere as to what works with what and exactly what has to be set up as far as phone numbers, email addresses, and Contacts that I would have not difficulty setting it up. But everything I find seems very incomplete. Maybe a desktop device is really not the best way to use Facetime. I am every familiar and fluent with Microsoft Teams because I use it at work. Same with Zoom. I have spent so much time reading and searching about how to use Facetime that at this point I am considering scrapping any further efforts with Facetime and downloading one of those. THANK YOU for your efforts at helping me. I appreciate that time you took to try and explain.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh please don't give up. We are here to help and we just need to try harder to assist you.

In my post #6, I gave you links to 2 Apple Articles; one for a Mac and one for iDevices like iPhone and iPad. By the way, the Mac Mini does support FaceTime. It's a Mac running a macOS, so works just like a Desktop Mac.

The fact that you don't use Contacts only means that instead of clicking on a person's name and then on FaceTime, you have to input their Phone number OR email address manually.

As your Mini has a macOS, treat it as a desktop and try this link again:

Of course Zoom and Microsoft Teams work fine on a Mac - in fact I use them professionally more than I use FaceTime which I generally use for family/friends.

Give it another shot. I'm sure we can get you there :)

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
This is one of the tutorials I came across while searching. It says to enter the phone number and click either Audio or Video. When I do this nothing happens at all. I do know that the person uses FaceTime. They agreed to let me call them to test it. I also think I mentioned that my Preferences are incomplete and do not show the things I see in the Preferences in the tutorials I have found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks, but I am now starting to see that I apparently do not have a good understanding of Facetime and its requirements and uses. This may come as a shock but I don't even have a single contact in Contacts! I have just never had any reason to. So I cannot try what you suggest. Yes, I am what you might call a dinosaur. I thought I would try to upgrade my Mac experience by trying to use Facetime but it is starting to seem like there is something missing somewhere that is not going to let me do so. What frustrates me is that all the tutorials I have read online about Facetime never mentioned anything about how to register a phone number or anything about Contacts. I do remember reading that it can be used with email. Also, I am using a Mac Mini and maybe Facetime is just not compatible with it. Still, I have read that it is supposed to work with a regular desktop Mac and not just the smaller devices. I am sure that if there was a thorough tutorial somewhere as to what works with what and exactly what has to be set up as far as phone numbers, email addresses, and Contacts that I would have not difficulty setting it up. But everything I find seems very incomplete. Maybe a desktop device is really not the best way to use Facetime. I am every familiar and fluent with Microsoft Teams because I use it at work. Same with Zoom. I have spent so much time reading and searching about how to use Facetime that at this point I am considering scrapping any further efforts with Facetime and downloading one of those. THANK YOU for your efforts at helping me. I appreciate that time you took to try and explain.
FaceTime started as a phone app, to allow a caller to see the called person and vice versa. Not a conferencing tool like Zoom or Teams. To use it, therefore, you need an iPhone to make the call and connection. Just having a number endnote an associated phone won't get you the connection. If the other end has an AppleID and if that AppleID is associated with their system, I think you can FaceTime through iCloud, but I've never used that. And to make that work, the telephone number on the other end has to be associated with the iCloud account on that end as well. Here is another article from Apple on what to do if it's not working for you. If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I saw thiat article also. You say I need an iPhone to do this. Someone else says I can use it on my Mac. I certainly don't own an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I saw thiat article also. You say I need an iPhone to do this. Someone else says I can use it on my Mac. I certainly don't own an iPhone.
Then I don't believe it will work at all. Everything I can find at Apple indicates it requires an iPhone telephone number associated with an Apple ID to make it work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have Zoom and it works OK for one on one conferences. I don't think you can "call " on it but I suppose you could text and have the other end join in the conference. A bit awkward, but it would work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then I don't believe it will work at all. Everything I can find at Apple indicates it requires an iPhone telephone number associated with an Apple ID to make it work.

I've only used it iPhone to iPhone, however, I believe it does work with your Mac but you must have an Apple ID and iPhone number associated with it. And the party you call likewise has to have the same.

Next time I call my son in Georgia I'll give it a try from my iMac. My son also has an iMac and iPhone and he is of course listed in my contacts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, it should work. I've done FT Mac to Mac, but it takes an iPhone on each end to make that work. Reading Apple's articles, it seems it will use WiFi if available, but still requires the iPhones.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Jake. I thought it was possible.

I should also mention that you can use WhatsApp to do video calling. That only requires the other party be using WhatsApp and has either an iPhone or Android (with built in camera of course) and is listed in your contacts.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it does work with your Mac but you must have an Apple ID and iPhone number associated with it

Absolutely correct. I use my iMac regularly for FaceTime calls; but as you said, you do need an Apple ID and an iPhone number.

And I apologise to the OP, goodwill67. I knew you had an Apple ID because I saw it on your screenshot and suggested you remove the screenshot. I assumed you had an iPhone. My fault for not asking you if you did.

Ian

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.