Trying to Get Some Use Out of an Old 10.2.8 iMac

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Power PC G4 384 MB RAM Mac OS 10.2.8
I was even thinking of antivirus software only based on my experience with Wintel computers. Based on the post above, I won't bother getting one.

My biggest problem is the power on problem. I am afraid to turn my iMac off, fearing that it will never boot up back again or take a large number of tries.

I do have the install disks. However the CD dive does not open until the computer is powered up. Should I try powering down with the drive open.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to start with the install disk. It complained that I already have higher versions installed. It did do a Check Disk for quite a while but didn't report any problems. I did this to run hardware tests but didn't fine away to run them.

I did load OnyX for Jaguar. I ran stuff manually. How do I automate? When I click Execute on the Automate tab, it starts running the tests taking up time. I would rather run these during the middle of the night.

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news. The last 3 times my iMac started quickly. (I hope that this is not a fluke.) The only thing that I did was run the Onyx things including optimization. If this holds up, the iMac is going to be workable. The only other thing I need is a program like 1Password. (This does not work on the Jaguar.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CD drive in my iMac opens only when the iMac is booted up. Is there a way to open it when it is hung up in a loop trying to power up? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.