Trying to find why Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2012 died suddenly

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2012 Model No: A1278 died suddenly.
I am trying to fix it myself if not try to understand what died in it.
I have no previous experience in fixing Mac but have fare amount of repairing PC and other electronics.
I am currently have limited tools only a screwdriver set.

These things I have tried so far:

I tried the basic steps mentioned in Apple and other website on what to do if Mac does not boot. (SMC reset, etc) but it did not fix any issues.
Pressing the power button does nothing. No Display, so sound, no vibration of Hard drive, no fan movement.
When connected to charger it gives green light then switches to amber/orange color.
Connected to external display and check, to rule out LCD issue. (no display on external monitor, tried with 2 different adapters too just to be safe)
Since there was no HDD movement vibration and no fan noise I tried to look into the internals (following iFixit website)
First I tried taking the battery (since on the side indicator it does to fill up even after charging the laptop overnight)
I checked the web that this model can be turned on without the battery followed the steps but was unable to boot. Still no fan or HDD movement, or sound.
I thought the HDD may have died, tried disconnecting it and to boot, still same issue.
My DVD drive had an issue when the laptop was working (CD stuck inside) just to rule that out disconnected it too. Still laptop wont response.
I thought may be the old RAM might have gone bad. Tried to start the laptop without them(I know I should not have but I was hoping to hear beep) still laptop is unresponsive.

At this point my guess is.
1) the Motherboard has gone
2)the power delivery system/board has gone
3) or something else.

Note:
1)I dont have any replacement part to check, like extra battery, HDD, etc.
2) Laptop was purchased few months after Apple launched it so it is old.
3) Previously Keyboard was replaced( about 2 years ago from now)

I am hoping someone will see and give me some insight on what might have gone bad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

At this point my guess is.
1) the Motherboard has gone
2)the power delivery system/board has gone
3) or something else.

I agree with the above. Time to think about replacing machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I forgot to add that it may be something simple such as the power switch on your MBP has gone bad. Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual and look up the take apart instructions for your model MBP and see if you can find a good picture of your logic board.

There are two power terminals on the logic board that you can short together with a screwdriver which act like the power switch. If the power switch is bad, shorting those terminals together will turn the machine on.

Give that a try.

OP
A
Reaction score
I forgot to add that it may be something simple such as the power switch on your MBP has gone bad. Go to iFixit: The Free Repair Manual and look up the take apart instructions for your model MBP and see if you can find a good picture of your logic board.

There are two power terminals on the logic board that you can short together with a screwdriver which act like the power switch. If the power switch is bad, shorting those terminals together will turn the machine on.

Give that a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. It did not work. So I believe that the laptop is dead. I will have to buy a new Mac. :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What were you doing with the computer previously before you noticed it's no longer working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
ok can I ask the obvious question here has it ever got any form of moisture on it ?

also does the MagSafe charger light go to green when the battery is fully charged ?

OP
A
Reaction score
ok can I ask the obvious question here has it ever got any form of moisture on it ?

also does the MagSafe charger light go to green when the battery is fully charged ?

There was no spill on the laptop ever. Laptop was never near any water.
light never goes back to green, it starts with green, moves to amber but never goes back to green.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I was editing some images and uploading it to a website.

So you were using it and it suddenly died while in use?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb, but they help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
don't the light on the MagSafe connector normally indicate a problem ?

now see I can't remember off the top of my head but I may be wrong.

it does sound like something is up with either the logic board or the power board where the MagSafe connects to

have you got another charger to try ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.