Trying to Download Mavericks

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the WiFi printing working again. Thanks.

Still no WiFi scanning, but maybe I'll figure something out.

Again, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay try this. My Epson TX550W under Mountain Lion the scan button on the All-in-One worked nicely. Under Mavericks one cannot use the button, but have to go to Applications > Epson Software > Epson Scan. May be something similar for Cannon?

OP
M
Reaction score
I've got Applications > Canon Utilities then nothing that looks like it could be "scan" related.

The Canon uses MP Navigator EX 2.0 for the scan function. I've checked the Preferences there, but there is nothing for WiFi scanning.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good luck with it. I tried everything with that miserable Canon MP 620 trying to get it to scan properly from wireless. I finally gave up and used a flash drive plugged into the USB receptacle on the printer to do the scanning. A real pain having to copy the document to be scanned on the USB flash drive first.

OP
M
Reaction score
If I could locate my installer discs (the ones that came with my MacBookPro), could I reinstall the original OS? Are the updates for that OS still available through the Software Update function? Could I get everything back up to 10.6.2, and then would I be able to use Time Machine to restore settings and files?

Is this a crazy idea? Am I asking for yet more trouble?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Good luck with it. I tried everything with that miserable Canon MP 620 trying to get it to scan properly from wireless. I finally gave up and used a flash drive plugged into the USB receptacle on the printer to do the scanning. A real pain having to copy the document to be scanned on the USB flash drive first.

The Canon will not scan wirelessly. You need to take the usb that runs from the printer to the router and plug it into the computer to scan. Then when you want to go back to wireless printing, you need to go into system preferences and delete the extra printer because there will be two listed and nothing will print.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure about that zeech. I have a Canon Pixma MP 990. I have both a wireless version and USB version defined in the Printing and Scanning preferences and can choose between them. Wireless printing will bork up from time to time. Usually it is fixed by powering the printer down completely and then restarting it.

I have had it set up to scan wirelessly before though it was a pain to get setup.

I do not have it set at the moment since I accidentally deleted the drivers a few minutes ago. Very busy at the moment. Will try to reset things in the next day or two and explain the procedure.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an update with some directions that may prove helpful.

Give this thread a read. Look for the post by quangtam2159. Ignore the sarcasm and start with step 2. Step one tells you the Canon site is poorly organized but you know that.

Step 3 mentions a Nanon Network tool. Ignore the link in the post and get it here. Select your OS then move to the software section. The Network Tool is the first link.

Continue with the setup he describes. I think this is how I set up the 990

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can Marrk avoid going way back to Snow Leopard as Apple has stopped issuing Software Updates for that version and security measures will thus go unpatched. Try Sly's suggestion.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you can Marrk avoid going way back to Snow Leopard as Apple has stopped issuing Software Updates for that version and security measures will thus go unpatched. Try Sly's suggestion.

Harry, this was the only reason that I updated to Mavericks in the first place. The security issues.

Does Mavericks work any better on the new MacBookPros? The ones with Retina display and solid state drives?

OP
M
Reaction score
The Canon will not scan wirelessly. You need to take the usb that runs from the printer to the router and plug it into the computer to scan. Then when you want to go back to wireless printing, you need to go into system preferences and delete the extra printer because there will be two listed and nothing will print.

zeech, there was a time when I was able to get it to scan wireless with the printer plugged into the Airport base station. Then, I moved, and things changed, even though I did not change the setup at all.

Connecting by USB when I need to scan is not so bad. At least it works.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zeech, there was a time when I was able to get it to scan wireless with the printer plugged into the Airport base station. Then, I moved, and things changed, even though I did not change the setup at all.

Connecting by USB when I need to scan is not so bad. At least it works.

I tried connecting through my Time Capsule as well. Printing worked well but I couldn't run the ink utility to judge remaining ink level. I finally got things working through the Canon system.

I may have some time tomorrow to run through the directions I linked to earlier. It (Canon Network Utility) is not on my Mavericks install on the SSD. I'm sure I had this running under Mavericks. I'll test with my other drive when I have a moment. IIRC getting the Canon Networking Utility up and running is the key.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will be far better served staying with Mavericks even if it means connecting via USB than going backlwards to Snow Leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
Today, the screen took on a noticeably blue tint. Mavericks again? I ReStarted, but it's still there.

Is there an adjustment somewhere in System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know about blue Marrk but you can go into System Preferences > Display > Colour (or Color as our western cousins will have it) and adjust brightness etc there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Today, the screen took on a noticeably blue tint. Mavericks again? I ReStarted, but it's still there.

Is there an adjustment somewhere in System Preferences?

FYI:

The Fix = System Preferences --> Display --> Calibrate.

Cheers. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
FYI:

The Fix = System Preferences --> Display --> Calibrate.

Cheers. ;)

Thanks for the report and glad that fixed it. I am sort of shocked no one suggested it although I wonder why Mavericks changed it from the way it was? Oh well!

EDIT: Oops Sorry Harry. Missed your post! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knows you Charlie. Getting back coz beat you to it yesterday or so. Now that will be hit upon by the speak po-lice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.