Trouble resetting iCloud password

Reaction score
I've been trying to reset the password for my iCloud. My iPad was set up by a family member and she can't remember the password.
The iPad is signed in right now and when I go to iCloud on a computer and choose "forgot password" and enter my phone number, I get the notice on my ipad asking if I want to allow this device to reset password. I chose allow, and the box disappears and that's it. Nothing else happens.
Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sounds like 2FA is set and you are only looking at one device. What shows up on your phone (is it iPhone or what)?

OP
H
Reaction score
Sounds like 2FA is set and you are only looking at one device. What shows up on your phone (is it iPhone or what)?
It's an ipad. I've been using a PC to go to apple and try to reset my password. I put in my apple id and the phone number linked to the ipad and I get the notification "Do you want to allow this device to change password"
I click yes, the notification disappears and nothing else happens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the "phone number linked to the iPad"? Is it an iPhone phone number? If not, you need to look at the phone, that the phone number goes to.

OP
H
Reaction score
What is the "phone number linked to the iPad"? Is it an iPhone phone number? If not, you need to look at the phone, that the phone number goes to.
It's my daughters phone. She's at work right now but she said she didn't see anything pop up.
When she is done, I'll get her to try and reset it with her phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I have this right? You want to change YOUR Apple ID password, but you are using your daughter's phone number? On an iPad? I'm not sure that can be done. The way 2FA works, if you try to change anything on your AppleID the system first asks if you really want to do that on this device, and if you confirm that, sends a code to the phone registered on YOUR AppleID account. Not your daughter's, yours. And you then have to enter that code to authorize the change by proving that you are you. On your registered device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's my daughters phone. She's at work right now but she said she didn't see anything pop up.
When she is done, I'll get her to try and reset it with her phone.

Are we to assume you do not own an iPhone or Android in order to receive the code? If not, it's not going to work with your daughter's phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Not your daughter's, yours.
I don't believe that is true. I use my iPhone for three apple ID's. Both of mine, and one for my youngest daughter. I have also used landline/house phones to get a phone call back with the code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe that is true. I use my iPhone for three apple ID's. Both of mine, and one for my youngest daughter. I have also used landline/house phones to get a phone call back with the code.
But it's YOUR iPhone, registered on YOUR account. Yes, it can be registered to another one, but from the OPs description, it sounds like he just gave his daughter's phone number as the one for Apple to use, which won't work. The number they use is what is registered with the Apple ID, not what someone tells them to. That's how 2FA works.

OP
H
Reaction score
But it's YOUR iPhone, registered on YOUR account. Yes, it can be registered to another one, but from the OPs description, it sounds like he just gave his daughter's phone number as the one for Apple to use, which won't work. The number they use is what is registered with the Apple ID, not what someone tells them to. That's how 2FA works.
I got it changed. It sent a verification code to her phone. We had to do it twice because the first one timed out, she was at work, but the second code worked fine. She set it up with her phone as a trusted device because the iPad is the only apple device I have. Thanks for all of your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted out, but that setup is going to be a pain every time you try to do anything with your account.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, it certainly won't be the last, or only time you will be asked to confirm your ID via a trusted device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it certainly won't be the last, or only time you will be asked to confirm your ID via a trusted device.

That's a fact. It's becomming more common for financial institutes, on line sites that store medical information, and other sites that deal with more sensitive information, to verify your identity by sending a code to a trusted device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.