Trouble Connecting to a Windows PC and Vice Versa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5,1, Hi Sierra, Quad Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2 x 2TB + 1 x 4TB HDDs, 8GB ECC RAM, ATI Radeon 5770
I have a Dell 9020 PC with Windows 10 installed and a Mac Pro 5.1 with High Sierra installed.

When I open Finder I can see the Dell PC listed under Shared but every time I try to open it I get “Connection Failed.”

I have followed the Apple instructions for connecting a Windows PC to the Mac but I am confused at one step. I Open Finder and then Go > Connect to Server and the Connect to Server window opens and I select the Dell PC and click on Connect then Connect again when the next window opens.

The next step shows Registered User is selected and the Name shows my Mac User name. Should that not be the Dell user name and password?

I have tried both the Mac and Dell usernames and applicable passwords but the mac system does not like either and refuses to connect.

Both the Mac and Dell machine are connected to the same local home network.

Similarly I can see the Mac in the Dell mapping window when I try to Map to the Mac machine from the Dell. But it will not show any drives when I click on the Mac folder link.

Am I missing something here?:unsure:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Should that not be the Dell user name and password?
Yes, use the login name and password that you use for the winOS PC, when using the network.

I have also had issues when trying to connect to my macOS PC from my winOS PC. I did get them connected at one time, but that was a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just a couple of thoughts - I share between my PC and Mac but on both of them my user name and password are the same. If yours are different you could try on the PC making sure the drive share is set for everybody to have all access permissions - read/write etc.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.