Transfering to new harddrive

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new hard drive for my MacBook. I was going to use my external hard drive to transfer all the data between old and new, but will that suffice? Shall I backup elsewhere aswell, or is just having the backup on my old hard drive ok?

Thanks! If that all makes sense!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi, I got a new hard drive for my MacBook. I was going to use my external hard drive to transfer all the data between old and new, but will that suffice? Shall I backup elsewhere aswell, or is just having the backup on my old hard drive ok?

Thanks! If that all makes sense!

If I understood you right, you have but haven't yet installed a new HD. If that is the case, IMO, the best and easiest thing is to get an external HD case (they are cheap and available for around $20-$30) and then use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper (I use CCC) to clone your old drive to your new one.
Test your clone by booting of of it, and if all went well you can swap the drives. At the end you can use your old HD in the external case for data files and backups.

OP
B
Reaction score
Can you explain more in depth how this case works? Also, if possible, link me to one aswell? This is all new to me! I'm in the UK by the way, so any UK links would be great. Once I remove the old hard drive, I can always put it back in and it'll still work, right?

Thanks very much.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you explain more in depth how this case works? Also, if possible, link me to one aswell? This is all new to me! I'm in the UK by the way, so any UK links would be great. Once I remove the old hard drive, I can always put it back in and it'll still work, right?

Thanks very much.

I will try to find UK links; I'm in US so familiar with those sources.

Honestly don't understand your last sentence. Why would you want to put it back in? But presuming you did things right and didn't break any wires or connections it should still work.

EDIT: You don't say what model MacBook (or pro) you have, but here is a good source for instructions.
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

EDIT2: Here is an external HD case at Amazon. Assume their UK site carries it too.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JQNXZC/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Normally I reccomend the folks at OWC for parts and info, but I don't think they have a UK store. Some of our UK members will probably have recommended sources for you.

One big question I have, and no offence intended, but some of your questions make me wonder if you have the basic knowledge and skills to launch unassisted into this.
I assumed at first you did, since you had already purchased a HD. But, now I wonder, do you have a compatible model for your Mac?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm being pretty vague, sorry, it's because I'm posting from my iPhone which is pretty difficult! HD definitely fits my mac, its the plastic white one, late 2008 I think. I've already changed the ram in the laptop, but just wanted to know the best way to transfer data! This case seems good/easy though. I'll attempt to find the site from which I purchased my hard drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Does it matter that the new HD is 750gb, as some day upto '500gb' etc.

This is the one I just found Bipra 2.5" Sata To USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case (Blue):Amazon:Computers & Accessories, but yours seems a lot cheaper!

So basically, I plug the new HD into the enclosure, connect via USB, and it effectively becomes an external hard drive? Then I take it out and swap with the old hard drive in the MacBook after I have transferred the data?

I already have SuperDuper, but is CCC better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd be inclined to select one suitable for the capacity you have yes.

But the summary of the process is bang on the money.

Once the new drive is in and you're happy it's all complete you can put the old one in the enclosure and use it as external storage/backup

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much. Does it matter that the new HD is 750gb, as some day upto '500gb' etc.

This is the one I just found Bipra 2.5" Sata To USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case (Blue):Amazon:Computers & Accessories, but yours seems a lot cheaper!

So basically, I plug the new HD into the enclosure, connect via USB, and it effectively becomes an external hard drive? Then I take it out and swap with the old hard drive in the MacBook after I have transferred the data?

I already have SuperDuper, but is CCC better?
Only advantage with CCC is if you are running Lion or Mtn Lion, because it also clones the Recovery Partition.

OP
B
Reaction score
So out of the two posted (yours and mine), which would be best? The one you posted doesn't mention a size limit, but mine says 750gb. Which is what I have! So which would be the better one? £5 won't make a difference to me.

Also, CCC or SuperDuper?

Thanks for your help so far anyway!

And just seen your reply. I'm running snow leopard, so that's irrelevant then!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly don't know on the enclosures, but purchasing from Amazon you can always send it back if there are issues (providing you purchase direct from Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon)

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok thanks, may go for the £6 one. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how I get on! I'm sure I'll have some more questions this evening anyway.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'd suggest downloading both CCC and SuperDuper and having a look at the interface to see which you prefer. I find incremental backups a bit easier to set up in SuperDuper buy as RavingMac mentioned CCC copies the Recovery partition and SuperDuper does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I think you've found your answer, but I'm just backing what's already been said. When I replaced my hard drive a few years ago I bought a $5 enclosure on Amazon (It's $2.26 now). I still use it to encase the old hard drive, which I use from time-to-time. For such a cheap enclosure it's worked perfectly so far. Another benefit of using the enclosure is that you also have the option of reformatting the old hard drive (after copying and testing out the new one of course) and using it as an external hard drive.

I used CCC to copy the old hard drive onto the new one with no trouble.

OP
B
Reaction score
I bought one earlier for £5. It says it works for upto 500gb, but reviews say it works fine for 1tb drives. I'll probably use it as another external hard drive as you say, at least it won't be wasted that way.

I'll also try both program's. CCC seems better when comparing both, so I'll see how I get on with it and probably use that one.

Thanks very much for the help guys.

OP
B
Reaction score
Got the external case today. However I've plugged it all in, but my mac says 'the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer', then it has 'initialise', 'ignore' and 'eject'. Initialise takes me to disk utility, where it lists '750gb mass storage device' on the left. However I can't do anything to it? Except erase?

Any help would be very grateful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your new hard disk will be blank and never been formatted so that's exactly what I'd expect.

You want it formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

OP
B
Reaction score
So do I erase it? And format it as a 'Mac OS Extended (journaled)' drive?

OP
B
Reaction score
Just saw your extra bit there on your post, apologies. I'll do that, thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know why the terminology, but OS X calls formatting (our old PC term) erasing. It isn't until you pick it that you find your format choices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.