transfering files from pc to mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this on your Vista Machine. Read it carefully. Is yours Vista Ultimate of one of the lesser versions? Pick your version and do what it says. Before I changed this in Vista I could not network to or from OSX.

Hope this helps.

Vista by default is set to use NTVLM2. In order to network with OSX it has to be changed to use both LM and NTLM.

If you are running Vista Ultimate, Go to Start, Run command and type in secpol.msc and hit enter.
Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"
Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication
level" and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows
Vista sets the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down
arrow to change this to "LM and NTLM - use NTLMV2 session security if
negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, there is no secpol.msc (Security Policy) tool. You will have to edit the registry. Here are the steps to follow. I have only done with in Ultimate with the Security Policy editor but it should work

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

2. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

For some reason here the editor on the forums is putting a space between the O and the L of Control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.