Transfer Apps & Data to New MacBook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
I will be getting my new MacBook Air 16GB, 256 SSD on 19 August. As I've always used Firewire in the past but as members know I only have 2 USB C inputs, how can I copy the Applications that I want to keep ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello Jim. Moved your question here to its own thread.

Enjoy the new MacBook Air!:)

- Nick

p.s. @Everyone: I know a bunch of folks jumped in to help Jim in the thread where this question was posted previously. Please jump in here and help Jim out. Thanks:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I usually download the installers from the developers website when I get the new machine.

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
I usually download the installers from the developers website when I get the new machine.
Thank you for response the MacBook Air comes with latest system installed which is 12.5, but knowing Apple it will be 12.4. I intend to install very little, as I already have a 2019 model which I didn't buy AppleCare+ but have had it upgraded to 16 GB and taken out AppleCare

Thanks again,

Jim

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Jim. Moved your question here to its own thread.

Enjoy the new MacBook Air!:)

- Nick

p.s. @Everyone: I know a bunch of folks jumped in to help Jim in the thread where this question was posted previously. Please jump in here and help Jim out. Thanks:)
Thanks again Ian.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks again Ian.

Jim

You meant Nick I assume... ;)

As if none of us ever make any misrtakes .... Yeah right... Says he laughing to the point of choking...

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Patrick, must be old age.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Jim, congratulation on getting your new device.
What device are you copying your apps and data from?
I get that you have a 2019 MBP so do you mean that?

Obviously you intend to have both devices running so you could as krs suggests, simply download the same apps (that you want to keep) from the developers or the App Store assuming you use the same Apple ID on both devices.

If you wanted to create a complete copy of your old MBP on the new one without cables involved you can use the wireless transfer method described here using Migration Assistant; Move your content to a new Mac

Pay special attention to the "Select information to transfer" section.

I used this method for the first time when upgrading to my current M1 MBP from a 2015 MBP but I intended it as a replacement not an additional device. So I chose "Replace" in the above section.
I had already started up the new device, set up with my Apple ID and same user name, other than that it was empty.

I had ensured both devices were running the same macOS and version. Yes, I had to update the new M1.

I went to a lot of trouble to remove anything I did not want/need from the old device and updated all apps where possible.

The process takes a while, quite a while but was completely successfully overnight. There were applications on the new device that required my registration details again, I had to login to email accounts as well but the process as a whole was pretty seamless.

The alternative is to buy an external SSD drive with a USB-C connector (you'll probably need one eventually), *clone your existing MBP, setup your new device, then drag and drop your personal data from the clone to the new MBP. In that case I would download fresh versions of your apps, except for self contained apps the ones that use an installer to place files in different places are better downloaded from the developers new. This is much the same as performing a "clean install" on an existing computer.

*You can easily clone your existing device with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper both of which offer free, no obligation, fully functional 30 day trials from Bonbich Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software or Shirt Pocket Shirt Pocket respectively.

A lot of your other data will be transferred from iCloud (once you login) like calendars, contacts reminders ect, anything you currently sync to iCloud. You may want to check your iCloud preferences if you don't want them to be the same.

Last but not least, I see you say you are purchasing the 256Gb MBA so do keep in mind your storage. i don't know the storage size of your 2019 device but if it exceeds 256Gb you might want to consider keeping the new MBA "lean and mean" with only essential apps and data on it.

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Rod,

Not my day I'm afraid. MacBook Pro Air arrived to day. I tried to set it up but wasn't successful.

I have a short password so I can use my Mac which is (password removed by MF Staff). When I entered that it said it was wrong, It said the reminder was wife. I can't ever remember using wife, I tried all guesses but couldn't get it start so rang Apple Tech Support and spent over 40 minutes then the phone went dead.

I know I could erase the drive, but why should I My internet download speed is only 18.8 GB, so you can guess how long it takes to download 12.5. They are closed now and we have no Apple genius stores living in the sticks. The nearest is Liverpool or Manchester 80 mile each way journey. So not a good start of my day. I also bought a Dyson fan as I was told they were good. Turns out I can blow more air than this Dyson fan gives. I will be returning the MacBook Air tomorrow, only thing is I had an extra 8 GB of RAM installed, so they might say it was custom built, although it's not a big job removing.

Thanks for all your advice. I will take it on board when my Mac is working> I have Carbon Copy Cloner and Malwarebytes Premium plus VPN. Will not be loading my new Mac with the junk I have on my knacjered 2019 MacBook Air

Take care,
Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also bought a Dyson fan as I was told they were good. Turns out I can blow more air than this Dyson fan gives.

Too bad about your Mac, and also unfortunate that you didn't know or someone didn't let you know that nearly all Dyson stuff is overrated and overpriced, outlandishly designed and basically crap.

As many sites will tell you:

I hope you can get everything sorted out in the near future.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hi Rod,

Not my day I'm afraid. MacBook Pro Air arrived to day. I tried to set it up but wasn't successful.

I have a short password so I can use my Mac which is qwer. When I entered that it said it was wrong, It said the reminder was wife. I can't ever remember using wife, I tried all guesses but couldn't get it start so rang Apple Tech Support and spent over 40 minutes then the phone went dead.

I know I could erase the drive, but why should I My internet download speed is only 18.8 GB, so you can guess how long it takes to download 12.5. They are closed now and we have no Apple genius stores living in the sticks. The nearest is Liverpool or Manchester 80 mile each way journey. So not a good start of my day. I also bought a Dyson fan as I was told they were good. Turns out I can blow more air than this Dyson fan gives. I will be returning the MacBook Air tomorrow, only thing is I had an extra 8 GB of RAM installed, so they might say it was custom built, although it's not a big job removing.

Thanks for all your advice. I will take it on board when my Mac is working> I have Carbon Copy Cloner and Malwarebytes Premium plus VPN. Will not be loading my new Mac with the junk I have on my knacjered 2019 MacBook Air

Take care,
Jim
Jim, I'm confused by your post. Your new Mac should have come with NO password, in fact, NO account set up, so where was this password you were asked to provide? Was it your AppleID password? On the old Mac? What?

Apple support is available 24/7 worldwide. I'd call them back and get it sorted.

The RAM is NOT removable. It is built into the Apple Silicon in the new MBAs. But that should not stop them from taking it back, as they have a policy that you can return within, I think, 14 days for any reason. But I would give it a couple of days to get the password sorted out before sending it back.

So, go to apple.com, click on support, scroll down and select telephone and have them call you again to sort it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jim, I'm confused by your post. Your new Mac should have come with NO password, in fact, NO account set up, so where was this password you were asked to provide? Was it your AppleID password? On the old Mac? What?

Apple support is available 24/7 worldwide. I'd call them back and get it sorted.

Thanks Jake for helping get my confused brain sorted out. I was also trying to sort out what the actual problem could be with his new Mac and getting it set up.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, as regards the new Mac I’m confused too. Should start with the Setup Assistant and that walks you through the process. You can have a different admin password but the Apple ID remains the same user and password for your account. Is this the password referred to? I thought we were talking about the login (admin) password on the old Mac. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, as regards the new Mac I’m confused too. Should start with the Setup Assistant and that walks you through the process. You can have a different admin password but the Apple ID remains the same user and password for your account. Is this the password referred to? I thought we were talking about the login (admin) password on the old Mac. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HI Rod and Patrick, I use a password to log in which is qwer, my new Mac asked me for a password, hint to remember was 'wife' . After 2 x 45 minutes no help. So is being collected and I'm getting a refund. That
took over 1 plus hours to process. As I've said before UK Tech Support is crap. I could have wiped the drive and re-installed 12.5, but my broadband speed is only 18.8 GB. I like to watch what's happening but not feeling well enough to sit until 4.00am.

Thanks again both.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could have wiped the drive and re-installed 12.5, but my broadband speed is only 18.8 GB.

I think you must be meaning to say XXX Mbps or Up to 18.8 Mbps ∞data.

There wouldn't be any problems if you were getting 18.8 GB download speed.

I am still confused if your brand new Mac was asking for and giving you a hint when you first started it up.

That doesn't sound like a very brand new pristine Mac to me. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick,

The last MacBook Air I bought had nearly a 6GB download as it wasn't up to date. At nearly 5GB it took over 5 hours. I suspect it wasn't new which was why I've asked for a refund.Sorry I don't have 18.8 GB internet speed it's 18.8 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload.

Now you see how long a 5GB load takes to download.

Thanks again

JIm

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have suggestion for you, Jim.

When the time comes to download an OS, presumably, Monterey, do this:

Firstly, connect a USB flash drive, make sure it is empty and formatted APFS. Give it a name eg Install Copy.

As soon as the download from Apple is complete, don’t allow it to start the Installation process - by using Command plus Q.

Open Finder > Applications and look for the download - it would be named something like Monterey Install app.

Now copy the Install app to your Flash drive.

Thereafter you can run the installation process by double clicking it in your Applications Folder of your Mac. When the installation is complete, that app will self-destruct.

But because you made a copy of it to your Flash Drive, you can always use that to make a fresh install - and you could use that on any other suitable Mac. In other words, you wouldn’t need to re-download that same OS again, saving you masses of time.

Ian

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have suggestion for you, Jim.

When the time comes to download an OS, presumably, Monterey, do this:

Firstly, connect a USB flash drive, make sure it is empty and formatted APFS. Give it a name eg Install Copy.

As soon as the download from Apple is complete, don’t allow it to start the Installation process - by using Command plus Q.

Open Finder > Applications and look for the download - it would be named something like Monterey Install app.

Now copy the Install app to your Flash drive.

Thereafter you can run the installation process by double clicking it in your Applications Folder of your Mac. When the installation is complete, that app will self-destruct.

But because you made a copy of it to your Flash Drive, you can always use that to make a fresh install - and you could use that on any other suitable Mac. In other words, you wouldn’t need to re-download that same OS again, saving you masses of time.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Patrick & Rod advised there should be no password to enter to log in to a brand new MacBook Air, so I have cancelled the order and it will be collected next Monday or Tuesday, and I will get a full refund which included AppleCare+

Jim

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chatting to UK Tech Support is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. When Brian O' Reilly was head of Tech Support in the UK it was more than good. He was a friend of mine but left Apple, met at Apple Expo in London but not before he invited Pat & me to his home on the beach in Cork city. Lost touch now. I believe he's working in the US.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I don't have 18.8 GB internet speed it's 18.8 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload.

Now you see how long a 5GB load takes to download.

That sounds like a more reasonable normal download speed, and could certainly take a while to download an almost 20 gig file, but most people would do that at night if and when they have to.

Maybe give that a thought next time you need to download such a large file.

Good luck with your new Mac purchase and I hope they get everything sorted out for you.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.