Trackball with 64-bit software for Catalina

Reaction score
My beloved old ambidextrous Logitech trackball has 32-bit software, and will not be operable once Catalina appears. The nice fellows at Logitech tech support inform me the company has no plans to upgrade their Logitech Control Center Software. Is there a solution? If not, does anyone know of an ambidextrous trackball that will work with Catalina.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What specific model is this? If the trackball needs separate software to work and it is assumed that there will be no native support with Catalina, then your likely choice is to upgrade to a newer trackball that is supported on Catalina.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's a Logitech T-BC21, and it needs the softwware to switch buttons from right to left-handed. I've searched all over the Web, and have been unable to find what I'm looking for. I'd hoped that someone might have done better with it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have a look at a program called SteerMouse. I haven't used it in a while but it might do what you need. It offers a lot of customization options. Although its name implies it only works with mice I think it can be used with other input devices as well.

According to the developer's site it works with the Catalina beta so it should be 64 big clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Oh why can't I always post in some threads at this site!!!??? So F&^$#$n annoyiny, and not even restore auto-save thing works???!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's the second half...

... ...

But maybe you don't need either of those as I just checked with my Logitech control centre (LLC) v. 3.9.4 that I use with my Logitech M705 USB mouse and Mavericks 10.9.5 and the LCC software is shown as 64-bit.

But besides all that, you may not need any of them as Apple's Mouse pref pain will, or should, provide the option for left or right click button.

It can even switch what my Logitech mouse main click buttons can do, left or right clicking.

The LLC software is only needed for any additional button's options and I don't think the Logitech trackball has any more than the left and right buttons, so you should be all set to go and keep your beloved Logitech trackball working.

EDIT:
PS: Apple seems to like referring to Mouse pref pane buttons as "Primary mouse buttons", and then provide an option to set the setting as "Left" or "Right".

So in their thinking, a right-handed user would select "Left" of course. Honest!!!
To Apple, the "Primary" button = "Click" (left) button. At least for right-hand users.

Confused yet...???

Anyway, I'm sure your Logitech T-BC21 buttons will still work just fine and probably without any need for ant additional LLC software, or just use their most recent whis is 64bit.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, maybe some of the adventures or moderators could explain to me why on Earth I have so many problems posting into this list lately.

The page all disappears when I click the post reply button oh so the post is working, but the web page goes back to the original page and nothing has actually been posted.

Not even using the auto restore thing will send the message for posting I have created and have to fiddle around different ways to get it up here. Most annoying.

Maybe this one will work all on its own.

Yep it worked.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe, just maybe, it's Maverick that ole, ole OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe, just maybe, it's Maverick that ole, ole OS?

I'd say that's very doubtful as it only happens at this mac-forums.com site.

I would suspect the version or setup of vBulletin that they're using or maybe some Google Chrome quirk.

It also seems to happen with longer posts but I wonder if there are any key or forbidden words that cause the problem???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
My beloved old ambidextrous Logitech trackball has 32-bit software, and will not be operable once Catalina appears. The nice fellows at Logitech tech support inform me the company has no plans to upgrade their Logitech Control Center Software. Is there a solution? If not, does anyone know of an ambidextrous trackball that will work with Catalina.

Well, first, Catalina is only in beta right now. So no one can authoritatively tell you what will or will not work with Catalina when it is released. So while someone might know of a trackball that either doesn't need a driver, or whose driver is already 64-bit, they can't tell you if either of those trackballs will work under the *release* version of Catalina for sure. So it is a bit early to go running out and purchasing new hardware just for Catalina.

What we do know is that Apple says that 32-bit software won't run under Catalina. My advice to those who ask is to stand pat with what you have and not upgrade to Catalina right away after it is released. Lots of stuff is going to break under Catalina, and lots of work-arounds and updates will be appearing in the next year. Do yourself a favor and let other people figure out which those are, while you get your work done using a tested and fully functioning system.

I always recommend that folks not upgrade to a major new version of the Mac OS until all the bugs are worked out of it. Usually that's not until there is a point-two (e.g. 10.15.2) update. But Catalina will have such a profound impact, for now I'm suggesting that you might want to wait as much as a year before upgrading, and maybe *never* upgrading to Catalina at all and instead skip Catalina and wait for the upgrade after that. A year from now all of the answers to what works, and what doesn't, under Catalina (and beyond) will be answered. It will be easy to do what is necessary then to upgrade painlessly. No need to be stressing right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm suggesting that you might want to wait as much as a year before upgrading, and maybe *never* upgrading to Catalina at all

Thanks Randy, and I think I'll have no trouble going with your latter *never* suggestion.

That saves aggravation and keeps with the if it ain't broke methods and tradition and a heck of a lot cheaper as well. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ah, but Patrick, sooner or later it will be "broke" because software won't run on it or your Internet sites won't accept the browser with it. Then it won't be so cheap (or easy) to move on and the aggravation will be much higher.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually I have found the Catalina beta to be pretty solid. (I'm currently testing beta release #6)

Now, having said that, what Randy recommended is good advice. Even though I'm testing the beta (on a separate bootable SSD), I intend to wait after the final release to see what happens with several apps that have promised updates to 64 bit, but are currently 32 bit.

But as Jake said, you really don't want to fall too far behind with macOS because sooner or later you'll be scrambling around trying to find something that works.

Reaction score
But as Jake said, you really don't want to fall too far behind with macOS because sooner or later you'll be scrambling around trying to find something that works.

It's true that you don't want to fall too far behind. But unless a mission critical app makes a major change in file format (rare), or disappears altogether (sometimes happens), or there is a brand-new app that appears that you are very interested in that isn't backwards compatible (sometimes happens), you can probably go for two or three versions of the Mac OS without upgrading and be fine.

Have a look at:

Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System
Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System

Reaction score
Hello. Reviving this old thread because I have the same problem as the OP—I rudely discovered that my Logitech Marble Mouse didn't work in Big Sur and had to go back to Mojave. During the 24 hours that I had Big Sur installed, I tried to use SteerMouse and USB Overdrive, but neither worked. (I just need to set the Logitech trackball to double-click with the left button and single-click with the right.) Above, pm-r said, "Apple's Mouse pref pain will, or should, provide the option for left or right click button." I tried that, but the pane froze and then I couldn't change any of the options, even after a restart. At that point my head exploded because I've relied on this particular trackball for ages. I have a hand injury and am extremely limited in what I can use as an input device.

Any advice for other utilities to try? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Try these drivers for your Marble Mouse. (Logitech downloads)

If those drivers do not work with Big Sur and you can't find another trackball that works for you, you may have to stick with Mojave for now.

Logitech also sell a wireless version of that mouse and it is compatible with Big Sur. It's the M570 wireless and software. Here is a look and drivers:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.