Totally unscientific test of new Airport Extreme 5

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really fail to see how anyone could be annoyed. I mean it's not like you're forced to buy it for anything to keep working and they didn't even make an announcement about a new version. Apple didn't publicize the change at all, it was the typical rumor sites making a big deal over something that was again nothing.

We also don't know for sure if there were any other architectural changes, etc.

Agreed completely. I in fact wish Apple would have mentioned the power increase as it will help in a lot of situations. I am all for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I really fail to see how anyone could be annoyed.

I'm more annoyed that it just suddenly appeared and there was zero info about it than anything else. I hate it when Apple updates products just because they've been in a cycle for X number of months (they are not the only ones who do this I know). It just seems like a half hearted attempt on a "just because" basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I guess it would be safe to assume that if i purchase from Apple.com I will be getting the new model. Right?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Yes you will!

To give yourself some peace of mind, just check the model # when you order. The new ones start with MD. The old ones were MC

Reaction score
So are there any edumacated guesses as to just how much of an increase in range one could expect in a typical frame residential dwelling?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
In theory, it's can provide 1.6 times boost per this article. I don't think anybody has come out with a complete analysis of it in actual use, although most people who have upgraded seem to indicate an increased range. Mine increased at least 1/2 again the range, but mine might not be typical

Airport Extreme

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.