Too FAST - Is this Malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We use several Apple devices, iPhone, iPads, MBAs on our home network. The displays on each device recently began to speed up (abnormally) in an erratic, herky-jerky fashion, almost anticipating moves. It occurs mostly when online and primarily during work hours, though sometimes when not online. It makes me feel as if someone is observing or possibly recording. Could this be due to recent updates, a setting in the network or on devices, or from the ISP. Hopefully, it’s not malware???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We use several Apple devices, iPhone, iPads, MBAs on our home network. The displays on each device recently began to speed up (abnormally) in an erratic, herky-jerky fashion, almost anticipating moves. It occurs mostly when online and primarily during work hours, though sometimes when not online. It makes me feel as if someone is observing or possibly recording. Could this be due to recent updates, a setting in the network or on devices, or from the ISP. Hopefully, it’s not malware???
This may not be a direct answer to the question...but unless you install the exact same stuff/apps on all your devices at the same time...how could all of your devices be affected at the exact time?

You mentioned having some mobiles devices (iPhone, iPads)...and computers (MacBook Air's). These are fundamentally different devices (Apple Intel based computers need different apps installed compared to Apple mobile devices).

What I'm trying to say is...very very unlikely this could be a malware issue affecting all of these devices suddenly at the same time. What is more likely the issue...is something more like something all of these devices share in common...such as your areas electrical system (electricity provider)...or you home/business's internet connection (ethernet or WiFi).

To go even further...all of these devices are capable of running on battery power...thus this can actually eliminate your home/business electrical source as the issue. Which pretty much only leaves the internet connection (maybe your router...cable modem...cable that brings the internet into your building, etc)...as the most likely source of the issue.

HTH,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If malware and other bugs worry you, download Intego Virus Barrier and Detect X Swift. Highly recommended here and do not use any other AV software. Free version:s-

VirusBarrier Scanner | Intego

Reaction score
...The displays on each device recently began to speed up (abnormally) in an erratic, herky-jerky fashion,... Hopefully, it’s not malware???

Almost always, the answer to "Is this malware" with regard to the Macintosh or iOS, is NO. Why? Because there is very little malware for the Macintosh, and most of the little that exists is either extinct in the wild, or the Mac has been hardened against it.

More than that, all of the malware that exists for the Macintosh is known (or is quickly known), and it is known what each piece does, exactly. No malware for the Mac acts the way that you describe.

In addition, there is practically no malware whatsoever for iOS, because software for iOS only comes directly from Apple's store, and it is all vetted before being made available to the public.

What you describe, happening on different devices, all using the Internet, all at the same time of day, sounds like you are subscribed to an ISP that in your neighborhood has too many simultaneous users and not enough bandwidth to support them all. Often his happens if you have DSL (rather than cable). I recommend that you call your ISP and have them check things out.

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
Thanks, Randy. This sounds plausible, indeed, and I hope that’s it!
A big problem is our ISP, in this case, Comcast. They are the very worst in customer support, I mean terrible! We got hacked in June and it took a month to get to a higher level. The best I could do with them is a new modem, 3 times, i.e. changing the IP address! I wish there was comparable speed and I’d change in a heartbeat! Nevertheless, I will try again=&

BTW, Congratulations on the ongoing successful book. I have had ‘The Mac Bible’ since it was published, originally reading it almost cover to cover - to get ahead of the curve - right, huh? I first bought 4 Mac SEs in late 1984, to run my commercoal RE company, successfully, then retired. Amongst many Macs, other Apple devices, et al since, I still have the original 4 SEs!

Last edited:
OP
Vertical
Reaction score
If malware and other bugs worry you, download Intego Virus Barrier and Detect X Swift. Highly recommended here and dø not use any other AV software. Free version:s-

Thanks, Actually, I did run MWB and Intego, and ‘Little Snitch’ but all came back okay=&.
BTW, This phenomenon is also showing up on my I-watch as well! FWIW, I’m considering a consult with Machome.com???

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
This may not be a direct answer to the question...but unless you install the exact same stuff/apps on all your devices at the same time...how could all of your devices be affected at the exact time?

To go even further...all of these devices are capable of running on battery power...thus this can actually eliminate your home/business electrical source as the issue. Which pretty much only leaves the internet connection (maybe your router...cable modem...cable that brings the internet into your building, etc)...as the most likely source of the issue.

I am in agreement with your assessment. Now, how to run it down? Please see other posts, today.
Thanks,
BTW, This phenomenon is also showing up on my I-watch as well! FWIW, so it reinforces the central core idea, i.e. network as source, or transmitting whatever is the culprit. I’m considering a consult with Machome.com???

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
If malware and other bugs worry you, download Intego Virus Barrier and Detect X Swift. Highly recommended here and dø not use any other AV software. Free version:s-

Actually, I did run MWB and Intego, and ‘Little Snitch’ but all came back okay=&.
BTW, This phenomenon is showing up on my I-watch as well!!! FWIW, I’m considering a consult with Machome.com.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you can record what is happening on the devices, that will help us see and hopefully help diagnose. I'm not sure what "speeding up" means in this context.

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
If you can record what is happening on the devices, that will help us see and hopefully help diagnose. I'm not sure what "speeding up" means in this context.
I would love to be able to convey this phenom as its almost a sense of it occurring, e.g. my less IOS and Mac experienced wife can not discern the fast movement; though experienced Mac users can immediately pick up on it. Figuratively, it’s like any device on our network will react as if it has had 6 cups of coffee on an empty stomach. All actions are hyperactive in their response to input. For example, typing darts to finish almost exactly as I type the characters; corrections and auto input like passwords jump into place before I can look up; pages and tabs in Safari open with blinding speed, again, like a nervous fidget.

FWIW, I’ve been using Macs for many years and this is a new experience! It first occurred this past June, when we were definitely hacked. I did file an FBI hack report. It happened as the hacker changed text while I was typing an IM on my iPhone. Other significant events followed, like Mail removed… . Symptoms then migrated onto any other device connected to our home network, even new ones!

I’ve watched several YouTube videos but have not found these specific symptoms. The closest matchup is the Pegasus spyware symptoms, (perhaps an unauthorized copy)? I’m concerned the router or server up-line may otherwise be compromised; that the original virus was removed but an open connection remains? Or maybe it’s a new dynamic rolled out by our ISP (Comcast)? Otherwise, it feels like I’m reinstalling an infection, even AFTER having reformatted disks and gotten new accounts.🤷‍♂️

What I have described is all too real. I don’t know that a screen video would render the nature and flavor of what is going on; I can try and will post if it’s viable. If it can’t be run down here I suppose my next step will be to locate a forensics expert, regrettable due to expense and health challenges of the stress. It’s like getting up in the morning and finding boot prints on the living room carpet… .

Last edited:
OP
Vertical
Reaction score
Almost always, the answer to "Is this malware" with regard to the Macintosh or iOS, is NO. Why? Because there is very little malware for the Macintosh, and most of the little that exists is either extinct in the wild, or the Mac has been hardened against it.

More than that, all of the malware that exists for the Macintosh is known (or is quickly known), and it is known what each piece does, exactly. No malware for the Mac acts the way that you describe.

In addition, there is practically no malware whatsoever for iOS, because software for iOS only comes directly from Apple's store, and it is all vetted before being made available to the public.

What you describe, happening on different devices, all using the Internet, all at the same time of day, sounds like you are subscribed to an ISP that in your neighborhood has too many simultaneous users and not enough bandwidth to support them all. Often his happens if you have DSL (rather than cable). I recommend that you call your ISP and have them check things out.
Abstract idea - is this possible?

Re jerky-jerky quick displays on all Wi-Fi devices, i-watches, even TV… .
We subscribe to Comcast as ISP for home internet package, i.e.

I-net,TV, phones, etal, at 900mbs, NOT fiber.

In doing a speed test using Ookla app, I see the repeater sending the signal back is a fibernet company, providing fiber speed to their customers… . Is it technically possible that we are somehow receiving some mixed speed through our cable, thus accounting for the jerkiness across all devices???

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
Re jerky-jerky quick displays on all Wi-Fi devices, i-watches, even TV… .
We subscribe to Comcast as ISP for home internet package, i.e. I-net,TV, phones, etal, at 900mbs, NOT fiber.

In doing a speed test using Ookla app, I see the repeater sending the signal back is a fibernet company, providing fiber speed to their customers… . Is it technically possible that we are somehow receiving some mixed speed through our cable, thus accounting for the jerkiness across all devices???

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agree with Raz0rEdge. Kind of an unusual situation. If there was some way to see this happening (record a video when it happens...with your phone for example). This might help us better understand things.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
Not sure of our exact location, but could it possibly be caused by some kind of military radar or other military device that may interfere with your Comcast signal?

Pete

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
I did this with a Mac consultant and he said it looked normal to him, on a cursory look-see, not onscreen. It’s frustrating but I think any experienced Mac user would ‘feel’ it when here - on any device. Figuratively, it’s like the computer has had multiple cups of coffee on an empty stomach - a hyperactive reaction on screen to any input, immediately posting multiple options, iterations of the intended input…very hard to describe.
FWIW, This phenomenon is also showing up on my I-watch and internet TV, both jiggly, quick movements onscreen. This reinforces the central core idea, i.e. network as source, or transmitting whatever is the culprit. I am all Apple here; could malware be transferred to each device…as Macs do talk to each other, e.g. airplay, etc…can detect nearby iPhone or hot spot? It’s a real brain itch!

Last edited:
OP
Vertical
Reaction score
Agree with Raz0rEdge. Kind of an unusual situation. If there was some way to see this happening (record a video when it happens...with your phone for example). This might help us better understand things.

Nick
Not sure of our exact location, but could it possibly be caused by some kind of military radar or other military device that may interfere with your Comcast signal?

Pete
Hmm, interesting idea. I’m in North Atlanta, GA, population ~8 million over a 7 county area. There are multiple small airports within a 15 mile radius plus an airforce reserve base ~10 miles away. How would I ever figure that out (though I can use a radio scanner app online and listen to transmissions)? =&

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I am all Apple here; could malware be transferred to each device…as Macs do talk to each other, e.g. airplay, etc…can detect nearby iPhone or hot spot?
Simply, no. First, there is no such malware for the Mac at this time. Second, the CPUs in the various devices are all different, as are the OSes. So, no crossover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did this with a Mac consultant and he said it looked normal to him, on a cursory look-see, not onscreen. It’s frustrating but I think any experienced Mac user would ‘feel’ it when here - on any device. Figuratively, it’s like the computer has had multiple cups of coffee on an empty stomach - a hyperactive reaction on screen to any input, immediately posting multiple options, iterations of the intended input…very hard to describe.
FWIW, This phenomenon is also showing up on my I-watch and internet TV, both jiggly, quick movements onscreen. This reinforces the central core idea, i.e. network as source, or transmitting whatever is the culprit. I am all Apple here; could malware be transferred to each device…as Macs do talk to each other, e.g. airplay, etc…can detect nearby iPhone or hot spot? It’s a real brain itch!

No, nothing is wrong with your devices. Nothing is being hacked. There is no malware. Maybe you should get your eyes checked. I'm not even being sarcastic here... there may literally be something wrong with your vision.

OP
Vertical
Reaction score
No, nothing is wrong with your devices. Nothing is being hacked. There is no malware. Maybe you should get your eyes checked. I'm not even being sarcastic here... there may literally be something wrong with your vision.
I’m almost beginning to think something is wrong with my brain… ? OTOH, I’ve been using Macs since Apple started. It’s as real as it gets! Not checked out on how to post a screen video from Photos to here? (I’ll try to show quick jump when opening of apps on iPad. How to, please?)

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'll go back to what I said originally, until we can see it ourselves, we aren't going to be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.