To NORTON or not to NORTON???

Reaction score
For more years than I can remember, and going on from my PC days, I have had a Norton subscription. Now they have hiked the price and insist on auto renewal - was £19 last year, now £29 then £89 next year.
On my iMac 10.14.6 and my wifes brand new latest iPad we have Norton.
I hear comments that Apple is secure in itself............so do I need this subscription?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
God no! Their software serves one primary function: to separate you from as much of your money as they can get away with. It has long been regarded as virtually useless in function, and a a drag on system performance/stability

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Under no circumstances, purchase or install Norton software. Not only is it not needed, it can mess up your Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
I'll add my voice to the chorus: Never install Norton on a Mac. Never. You don't need it. You also don't need Avast, MacAffee, or any of the many other programs that claim to protect you.

Just don't click on random links, always hover over links you think you trust to check that they're actually going where you think they're going, and don't install software from anywhere but the Mac App Store (unless you're really sure that the developer is legit).

And if you aren't doing regular (and I mean at least weekly) backups to an external drive or the cloud... start doing that right now.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Definitely not.

Reaction score
Totally agree with the rest of the guys. That anti-virus software is a scam mostly. I've been using my devices without anything like this for years and it's been fine. Just be careful and don't click on shady links.

Also, you can use apps like Malwarebytes to check your device once in a while and that's it.

Reaction score
If you are paranoid about malware (and you don't need to be, this is the Mac, it's not Windows), Intego offers a free version of their excellent product, VirusBarrier:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virusbarrier-scanner/id1200445649
This is a full version of Intego's excellent commercial anti-virus program VirusBarrier [usually $40/year] minus some [but not all] of the automated scanning features in the commercial version. This isn't just a nice free product, in the past VirusBarrier has won all the believable third party anti-virus comparison tests.

Adware isn't as common as it used to be for the Mac, but once in a blue moon someone gets infected with it. This free product is excellent at dealing with it:

DetectX (free/$10 requested)
https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

The above is all that you should ever need.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, there is no debate there then! All these years I have just "followed the crowd" but no more. My existing Norton apps have been removed and shall definitely not renew.
I am so grateful for all you guys for your greater experience. My system is backed up to a separate device by Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MacBook Pro 16/1000 GB Sonoma ; 2017 Intel MacBook Air 8/256 GB Monterey
The only Norton product I would consider buying has 2 wheels and a piston engine! Sadly I feel I’m too old to become a born again biker :(

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, I do still have a full motorcycle licence. I hear they even have electric starters now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MacBook Pro 16/1000 GB Sonoma ; 2017 Intel MacBook Air 8/256 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
always hover over links you think you trust to check that they're actually going where you think they're going,

Doesn't that function depend on what Browser one is using, and if the option is even enabled to show what the actual URL actually is...??? Just a thought and I don't know, but maybe worthwhile checking by the user...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Doesn't that function depend on what Browser one is using, and if the option is even enabled to show what the actual URL actually is...??? Just a thought and I don't know, but maybe worthwhile checking by the user...
Every browser that I know of has a feature where if you hover over a link, the true link is displayed at the bottom of the screen. In some browsers that feature actually has to be enabled. (I guess that some folks find it distracting.) In Safari that feature can be enabled/disabled at:

In Safari --> View menu --> Show Status Bar

That feature is in the same place in Brave.

Apple's Mail has this feature, and it's semi-useful when receiving what might be a scam e-mail. You can easily check and see if the embedded links go to where they are supposed to just by hovering over them.

I said "semi-useful", above, because it's trivially easy to craft links that look like they are legitimate...but aren't.

However, it's very important to realize that, to my knowledge, there have been no malicious links of any sort that when clicked on *bad things* automatically happen to a Macintosh. Macintosh users don't have to be paranoid of clicking on links. You DO have to use some common sense when it comes to what you do after you have clicked on a link though. Don't fall for any scams that might appear on a page that you show up to. Don't accept offers of downloads from sites that you don't trust. Don't install any software that shows up in your Downloads folder that you aren't 100% sure that you downloaded volitionally from a safe source.

Also important, you should know that every single major Macintosh browser has a technology called "Safe Browsing" built-in. That feature links to a service that maintains a database of malicious Web sites as they appear, and your browser accesses that database and blacklists malicious Web sites so that you can't even visit a known malicious Web site if you try!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Hmm, I do still have a full motorcycle licence. I hear they even have electric starters now.
My brand new 1974 Honda 500/4 had electric start. 30,000 miles in 3 years. Drove it in the snow and ice in Halifax NS. What a blast! Got it out of my system.

Also got Norton s/w out of my systems back in my Windoze days. Nothing but trouble.

Norton Commandos, nice bikes, shakes and all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norton Commandos, nice bikes, shakes and all.

Oh, you remind me of my old Norton 500 single, rigid frame with a few engine mods I did, and it was one of the smoothest most comfortable bikes to ride I ever owned with its leatherette and felt spring sprung single seat. As long as one was on a smooth roadway. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Also got Norton s/w out of my systems back in my Windoze days. Nothing but trouble.

To be fair, many years ago Norton Utilities was the premier hard drive repair utility software for the Macintosh. (Much like Disk Warrior was later.) However, in 1990 Symantec purchased Norton, Peter Norton was pushed entirely out of the picture, and Norton products soon became known for their ability to destroy your hard drive as likely as fix it.

At the present point in time, both NU and DW are still available, but they are anachronisms. Apple never released the full specifications for APFS, their modern hard drive format, so no third party hard drive repair utility works to repair Directory problems with the Mac.

Coincidentally, Apple just updated the Mac's included Disk Utility/First Aid so that it is much more effective at repairing APFS disks:

https://eclecticlight.co/2023/05/22/close-but-still-no-banana-disk-utility-22-6/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Oh, you remind me of my old Norton 500 single, rigid frame with a few engine mods I did, and it was one of the smoothest most comfortable bikes to ride I ever owned with its leatherette and felt spring sprung single seat. As long as one was on a smooth roadway. ;-)

- Patrick
=======
I wasn't aware of anything other than the 800/2. I knew a guy who had one, but I never drove it, just drooled. ; ) Another friend with a Kawi 900 and I swapped for a short drive. I accidentally popped a wheelie by giving the same amount of gas from a standing start. I hung on for dear life LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't aware of anything other than the 800/2.

This was very similar to my Norton 500 single Hemi.

Basically, a very popular WW II motorbike that was also very popular after the war, and motorbikes gained popularity in use. It had a rigid frame, with front forks only sprung with springs.

Norton_16H_001.jpg

- Patrick
=======

Attachments

• 48Norton-ES2-L.jpg
    48Norton-ES2-L.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.