Time for a new router, I think

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you do any type of video streaming, or ever plan to, a seamless dual-band router has to be considered a must IMHO. Nothing worse than streaming some video and then a G or B device connects and ruins the whole thing :)

Yes...I keep thinking of that feature/benefit as well. You mentioned in a previous thread a while ago about the benefits of a dual-band router in a mixed environment (b/g devices & n devices).

I wanted to ask you (since you're one of the few folks I know that has an Apple Extreme Base Station)...what do you think if the "bandwidth management feature"...which supposedly allows you to control the range of the router (down to 1 room if necessary)?

I know that it seems to be a counterintuitive feature when everyones talking "more range...more range"...maybe it's just "gimmicky".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you do any type of video streaming, or ever plan to, a seamless dual-band router has to be considered a must IMHO. Nothing worse than streaming some video and then a G or B device connects and ruins the whole thing :)

This. When I got my current N router, I didnt bother with Dual Band because, well, everything I had was N. New roommate, old laptop, G... I can tell when she connects because my Netflix **** near reboots itself.

And personally, MaximumPC has a thing for netgear over the rest... All shops have their favs. Also, for these tests, none of them state if the settings were changed to favor one over the other, or if they were all left at "out of the box" default settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I wanted to ask you (since you're one of the few folks I know that has an Apple Extreme Base Station)...what do you think if the "bandwidth management feature"...which supposedly allows you to control the range of the router (down to 1 room if necessary)?

It's not really a bandwidth management feature. But rather it's an antenna power feature that you can set the power level of the antenna to control distance. But honestly, I've never changed it since I can't for the life of me ever figure out a good reason to limit an already pretty limited range for WiFi.

Another really nice feature of the Extreme is the Guest Network. So if you want ot make your WiFi available to guests without giving them access to your entire Network, you can easily setup a separate Guest network for them to connect to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks man!:) Yes...the D-Link site had this photo...with the "IVP 6" logo:

DIR-655_front.png

What is "IVP 6" (not that I couldn't "Google" it;))?

Does the wireless printer setup "app" you mentioned come with the DIR-655 setup software?

Thanks a bunch,:)

- Nick

IPv6 Advantages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the US, you probably won't have to worry about IPv6 for quite a while. I can't imagine most ISPs migrating let alone enforcing use of IPv6 consumer equipment for a very long time.

I wish they'd do it already, but the economic realities just aren't there to justify or force them to make the change as long as there are alternatives they can milk for the foreseeable future.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not really a bandwidth management feature. But rather it's an antenna power feature that you can set the power level of the antenna to control distance.

Yeah...the term you used (antenna power feature) makes more sense. This review article (3rd paragraph):

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station 2011 - TopTenREVIEWS

...said "bandwidth management feature" which doesn't really make sense when talking about signal strength or range.

Thanks for the info,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have the aiport extreme and I use most of the features that it has to offer. I am very happy with the performance of the extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other thing I like about the AEBS it can control 4 AE's for various options but streaming music out the optical port is the one that matters the most to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Another really nice feature of the Extreme is the Guest Network. So if you want ot make your WiFi available to guests without giving them access to your entire Network, you can easily setup a separate Guest network for them to connect to.

Looks like DLink updated the DIR-655 to include a Guest Network option. I wouldn't be surprised if newer DLink routers also supported this feature.

Speaking of which, I should probably enable that since I frequently have guests over and they're always asking for my password.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still researching the purchase of a new router. One feature that I would really like is the ability to plug a printer into the routers USB port for a shared wireless printing. I know folks have said that this can be done with the DIR-655...but when I read the user manual...it doesn't really mention it (or I couldn't find it);):

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/D-link-DIR-655-Manual.pdf

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Still researching the purchase of a new router. One feature that I would really like is the ability to plug a printer into the routers USB port for a shared wireless printing. I know folks have said that this can be done with the DIR-655...but when I read the user manual...it doesn't really mention it (or I couldn't find it);):

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/D-link-DIR-655-Manual.pdf

- Nick

Yes, it can, but it works like a generic USB print server. So, you have to manually set up your printer on the Mac and find it (usually by static IP) and add it using LPR/LPD protocol. And since OS X doesn't handle printer port redirection at all, it can be difficult finding a driver that will talk to your printer over a network connection (please Apple, PLEASE address this! It's a gaping problem!).

So, while it can be made to work in a lot of cases, it's not nearly as slick as Apple's implementation with the AEBS, which uses Bonjour and has some kind of black magic to force the drivers to work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it can, but it works like a generic USB print server. So, you have to manually set up your printer on the Mac and find it (usually by static IP) and add it using LPR/LPD protocol. And since OS X doesn't handle printer port redirection at all, it can be difficult finding a driver that will talk to your printer over a network connection (please Apple, PLEASE address this! It's a gaping problem!).

So, while it can be made to work in a lot of cases, it's not nearly as slick as Apple's implementation with the AEBS, which uses Bonjour and has some kind of black magic to force the drivers to work.

Wow...thanks a lot for that info. I always find setting up routers to be a BIGGG headache...especially since few if any of the setup "Wizards" (good or bad) are written for Mac's...so you have to do it manually.

I can't say how many hours I've "fooled" around with hardware products in the past trying to set up a networked printer via a "network bridge" or "printer server" products...with no success. The best I've done is the Mac's can "see" the printer...but no printing (just times out). Of course the Windows computers in the house can print no problem!:p

Sounds like the setting up of a networked printer (via the DIR-655's USB port) is doable for more knowledgeable (or patient folks)...but the same big headache for the average (I just want it to work) user.;)

Thanks again,

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow...thanks a lot for that info. I always find setting up routers to be a BIGGG headache...especially since few if any of the setup "Wizards" (good or bad) are written for Mac's...so you have to do it manually.

I can't say how many hours I've "fooled" around with hardware products in the past trying to set up a networked printer via a "network bridge" or "printer server" products...with no success. The best I've done is the Mac's can "see" the printer...but no printing (just times out). Of course the Windows computers in the house can print no problem!:p

Sounds like the setting up of a networked printer (via the DIR-655's USB port) is doable for more knowledgeable (or patient folks)...but the same big headache for the average (I just want it to work) user.;)

Thanks again,

- Nick

Well, to be fair to D-Link, this is how most USB print servers work. They're just not as slick and they don't cater to Apple products like Apple's own stuff does. The technology is certainly there as the current crop of wireless printers are easily as slick as Apple's print server, it's just that I haven't seen a 3rd party adapter that works just as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, to be fair to D-Link, this is how most USB print servers work. They're just not as slick and they don't cater to Apple products like Apple's own stuff does. The technology is certainly there as the current crop of wireless printers are easily as slick as Apple's print server, it's just that I haven't seen a 3rd party adapter that works just as well.

Ooh yeah...I 100% agree. That's why I've had so many headaches in the past...and I guess if I got the DIR-655 & wanted to set up my printer...I would have more headaches!:( Unless you or Dennis came over to my place to set it up!;)

You would think some Apple/Mac enthusiast would have written up a step by step DIY to do this. Maybe there is one...and I just need to search for it.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I made the big move last night!!!:)

For probably the last year+ I've been thinking about getting a new router...and the decision was basically between the DIR-655 and the Apple Extreme Base Station (AEBS).

One the one hand there have been so many great recommendations for the DIR-655...and on the other hand the ease of setup, the dual-bands, the easy networked printer handing, and hey it's Apple;)...were things that were a plus for the AEBS (but the AEBS had a MUCH higher price).

Up until last night I was probably going to go with the lower priced DIR-655 ($59.99 @ TigerDirect + shipping). In fact I probably would have ordered the darn thing on Monday from Tiger Direct...but their online live-help wasn't working...because since I know these guys sell a lot of refurbished stuff...I wanted to verify if it was refurbished or new.

In any case...there was a guy selling an Apple Time Capsule on my local Craig's List. I saw it for the first time about a week ago...his asking price was $200. I still thought...$200...ehh still too much money when I can get the DIR-655 for around $65.00 bucks. But I contacted the seller yesterday, found out the exact model number (there are 4 generations of the Apple Time Capsule...this one was the latest 4th generation model).

Long story short...I got it for $125...and it still has two months of warranty left on it!!!:) It's the 4th generation Apple Time Capsule...so it has all the latest improvements Apple has made to it.

For folks that don't know...the Apple Time Capsule (ATC) is basically the Apple Extreme Base Station (dual-band router) plus an internal hard drive for easy Time Machine backups (of multiple computers if necessary). The Apple Time Capsule I purchased has a 1 terabyte internal hard drive (which new this ATC model sells for $299.00). I got it for $125.00 (with 2 months warranty left)...original box & all...so not a bad deal.

3nd3m73l65Y35T15P4b5p6db8368240291371.jpg
3n63pb3l85Z45T45P5b5p00c96a3af29c19a3.jpg

There's even an ATC model that comes with a 2 terabyte internal HD which sells for $499! YIKES...what insane Apple pricing for a dual-band router + a 2 terabyte HD!!!:(

And jeez...after setting up many a non-Apple router (Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc.) over the years...the Auto-setup process for the ATC was Sooo easy...it almost seemed like I was getting "cheated" not getting to setup each individual feature. Once I know what I'm doing...I'm going to manually setup some of the features to enhance the network security.:) AND...one important thing to me was setting up a networked printer via the ATC...and man...that was so easy as well!!! I was printing wirelessly in less than 5 minutes (that's after spending hours & hours and lots of headaches over the years with non-Apple products...and NEVER getting it to work)!

Now I have to start shopping for the next computer item I REALLY don't need to fill the "void"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually Time Capsule, not Time Machine. :)

Congrats on the new router too!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually Time Capsule, not Time Machine. :)

Congrats on the new router too!

Thanks...Silly me...time for an edit!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent deal Nick. Good going.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Wow. That's an excellent buy! Congrats!! I wish I was better at finding deals like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was a good deal nothing that good pops up around my neck of the woods.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.