time capsule and wireless cable modem - Basics

Reaction score
I tried almost everything.

I have an Imac snow leopard, apple airport express (old version 2008) and a time capsule 4th generation. I was using my old airport express for my wi fii connection and everyting worked fine. I bought a Time Capsule and like many others I couldn't make it work because of invalid IP (169...). I tried to put a switch between the modem and the TC. I tried to put manually some IP/DNS address, I tried to connect the TC on every single port, nothing worked. I decided to go back to the apple store and they changed it, since the technician couldn't make it work either.
So I was reassured that the problem was the TC....

Wrong!
I plugged the brand new TC into the modem same thing as before happened: amber light and error message (invalid address IP 169..). I re-tried almost everything without any success. I was getting really close to smash this bloody TC against the wall !!!! and then the miracle occurred. I plugged the TC into the modem powered both TC and modem and switched off my imac. The next day or +7 hours later when I switched on the imac, I got a solid green lamp on the TC and could connect to the internet.... I really don't know what happened, I believe that the ISP renew the IP every couple of hours and you need to wait that this occur to get a fresh IP for the TC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.